Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

bramblerose

Re: Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

Post by bramblerose »

Oh, thanks for that Hobbes. I thought that the variable standard rate was just that, variable and would go up or down with wholesale costs.

I'll read more from MSE and have a mooch on the Octopus site
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bloody hell, Bramble, that's obscene. Will another supplier offer you a better tariff?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Looking at the advice from MSE, I'd say no.

I'll stay on their standard rate when my fixed comes to an end and see how that goes.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Most energy firms are actively trying to dissuade new customers atm Lils, I'd be very wary of any company that appeared to have preferential deals atm (not that I think there are any). In fact I'd be wary of any small energy companies at all.
smalex

Post by smalex »

:reporter: Still, we can all get £5k off an air source heat pump. Just the other 5-10k to find
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I wonder which of Boris’ buddies owns an air source heat pump manufacturing company 🤔
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Quite, Edith.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't think its a bad idea per se, its not any kind of solution to the immediate problem.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've just been listening to something on that. They were saying one would also probably need to have all radiators replaced and pipes upgraded. Average cost they said for the pump is 12k
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeah, apparently most peoples houses aren't insulated well enough for them either so better get that sorted too...

I mean we DO need to do all this stuff sooner rather than later but £5k off isn't really here nor there if you can't afford your gas hike in the first place.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I was reading about that. We wouldn't have the room at this house. Our yard isn't big enough and the house would never be able to be sufficiently insulated.

Not everyone lives in a semi/detached house with garden space!
Edith Bacon wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:21 pm I wonder which of Boris’ buddies owns an air source heat pump manufacturing company 🤔
These were my thoughts.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its like how we're meant to be banning the sale of petrol cars in... 2030? so presumably we're starting a massive programme of fitting in-street charging points any day now (for people like me without a drive).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

And making them affordable for people...

ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

We were just talking about this. They keep doing similar schemes here to encourage people to invest in insulation and efficient equipment, but whilst I don't see exactly how else it could be done, everything I've heard anecdotally and on the news is that the work done is either very shoddy or that companies exist whose sole purpose is to rip (elderly) people off by selling them things that aren't in their best interests (15 years ago it was solar panels, 5 years ago loft insulation, now it's heat pumps).

Also air source is the least efficient heat pump. I think what really works is larger-scale deep ground heat pumps that would serve whole villages etc.

And I think we have to accept that nuclear power is going to be the majority of the solution.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I don't actually have a problem with nuclear power, which makes me think I must be very thick because there's great antipathy towards it. Or maybe that's nuclear weapons...

smalex

Post by smalex »

I think the objection to nuclear is that you leave waste that takes 10s of thousands of years to become harmless. And when it goes wrong its pretty spectacular....
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

bramblerose wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm I was reading about that. We wouldn't have the room at this house. Our yard isn't big enough and the house would never be able to be sufficiently insulated.

Not everyone lives in a semi/detached house with garden space!
We live in a Victorian conversion flat so absolutely no idea how either of the current options would actually work as the garden isn't big enough so ground source is no good, and god knows where the hot water tanks/ air source pumps would actually go.

I too think it is a good idea in principle, but the practicalities just aren't there at the moment. Plus, most people unless they are remodelling tend to replace a boiler because their old one has broken down, so aren't going to want to have to apply for the grant when they want one fitted that week for obvious reasons.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

There are a lot of issues with nuclear! But if you take proper, serious, precautions, the only issue we haven't solved is the waste treatment, and they're starting to move forward with that a little bit I think. But the need for all the precautions mean it's not viable for a lot of countries.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

M&S have cancelled Christmas online Christmas food orders in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.4703467
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

So Bulb is in "special administration" as they're too big just to transfer all users I guess. I know lots of us are with them, I wonder what happens next?