Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

Lily
Picker-Lily

Re: Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

Post by Lily »

George! :wave: Nice to see you back here.

Absolutely everyone is going to be in debt as a result of this so a bit of me thinks - just keep paying what you can, and the government will be FORCED to act.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’m looking into getting a ninja foodie thing and ditching the oven. Also my bloody mother can buy us a wood burning stove. I can’t believe a woman in her 70s who lives alone in a two bedroom house, is putting a room in the roof at a cost of £50k so she has somewhere to put her her makeup on. Don’t get me started :verm:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

If anyone cares, I've not cooked much in my airfryer yet just sauseges and fries but it does do a good job. I can see how people end up rarely using an oven once they get really comfortable with using one.
George

Post by George »

That’s good to know - I’m struggling to imagine life without the oven but it’s such an expense that cutting it out is going to make more of a difference than worrying about the lights.

The hairdryer is apparently expensive too. I shall have to be frizzy, and wear hats.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

It has taken me an age to get my head around it too, but it does stuff so much faster than an oven because they heat up pretty much instantaneously. I will obviously branch out a bit in time, I just need to find the right place to teach me how to do things and I am sure there is a thread here somewhere about it.

I was going to attempt fish (sea bass) tonight but because I don't eat fish I got a bit scared of doing it and so stuck to the pan, but it is now on my list to try too.

I don't have that problem with the hairdryer, if I used one then whats left of that part of my anatomy would be blown away. :lol:

But as i said upthread, I think thats about all I can do really. Maybe use the Xbox less, but if we're getting down to margins as fine as that then I'm done for anyway really.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Good to see you, George!

I have used my oven only twice since getting an instant pot duo, and the only thing I use the hob for is boiling eggs.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I want an air fryer but I’m not sure how I’d cook different things in it for 5 people.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I don’t think you could do that easily, Kleio.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

So far I've used mine on the airfryer setting to do.. ..
Cauliflower
Aubergine cubes
Broccoli
Sweet potato cubes
Roast potatoes
Sausages
Field mushrooms
Bacon
Chicken thighs

On bake -
Sweet/Normal potatoes

On reheat -
Spring rolls
A ready meal I'd usually do in the oven rather than the microwave.

All so speedy! I'm v impressed with it.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Kleio wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:14 pm I want an air fryer but I’m not sure how I’d cook different things in it for 5 people.
I am guessing that it could be quite tricky but it does depend what you are cooking I think. You couldn't do an entire roast in the one I have and its quite a big one, which is a bit of a downside.

Anything breaded with chips etc the bigger ones will do easily with a bit of practice, I think.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Topcat wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:05 pm
Kleio wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:14 pm I want an air fryer but I’m not sure how I’d cook different things in it for 5 people.
I am guessing that it could be quite tricky but it does depend what you are cooking I think. You couldn't do an entire roast in the one I have and its quite a big one, which is a bit of a downside.

Anything breaded with chips etc the bigger ones will do easily with a bit of practice, I think.
I wouldn’t be able to cook gluten and none gluten free things at the same time though so I suspect I’d be switching on the oven anyway.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Ah yeah, good point. A rubbish one for you, but a good point all the same.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

You couldn’t. We have to cook in batches for the four of us when we use it.

Mr Sax sometimes watches a guy on YouTube who I think is called ProHomeCooks or something and he has loads of ideas for the air fryer including research into the best chicken wings. :))

ETA: this guy
https://m.youtube.com/c/ProHomeCooks
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Is it still more efficient than an oven if you're cooking in batches? Ie does it use less energy to run the oven for half an hour when it's full up Vs doing an air fryer for several lots of ten/fifteen mins or whatever?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I don’t know. We’ve only really used it occasionally for wings and bacon.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I’ve been doing wings on the bbq and they’re so good that way!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I've read that it generally (allowing for less efficient older models) consumes half as much energy as an oven.

Bearing in mind it only takes a couple of minutes to heat up, and everything seems to cook in super quick time (so far I've found less than half the time I'd allow for in the oven) I would guess there are still marginal savings if you're doing a couple of batches.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Bacon is amazing in the air fryer.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

There was a good episode of the BBC programme Sliced Bread about air fryers 🤓.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0018 ... are-mobile

I really want one but I’ve got worktop/storage space issues, and also I’ve got two ovens so usually use the smaller one which must be more energy efficient than heating a whole full size oven. But I still want one!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Kleio I saw this comment from someone on FB about a model that can cook two separate things at once in case that’s any use.