Choose my house

Hamm

Re: Choose my house

Post by Hamm »

I've always had a named realtor overseas, they do it all. I find the UK harder.

Fingers crossed for number 3.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

emma_p wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:00 am
How long are you looking to rent the house for?
Probably 18 months initially.

We have our relo person and whilst she’s from the broader area she doesn’t know the specific neighbourhoods we’re interested in.

We have 2 local realtors also looking for us but there’s just not much property around at the moment as we’ve moved at an awkward time of year.

Our official application is in for house 3 so now it’s a waiting game.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Oil towns might be different but yes, August is when we all move usually.

I hope you get it.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

So we signed the lease for house 3 last night and the bastarding landlords have now added a document of completely terms.

Things like if the appliances stop working we are responsible for repairing/ replacing it, if the LL has to come out then we get charged $75, if we have visitors over 7 days then we need permission from the LL, the property has be returned in the exact condition including applicances and the hardwood floors. We’re not going to wreck the place but it doesn’t allow for any natural wear and tear!

I get that the rental rules are different here but some of these are out and out taking the piss.
smalex

Post by smalex »

What, so basically you get all the downsides of renting, and none of the upsides?!
Jet

Post by Jet »

What?! That’s crazy. I’m still aghast at bidding on a rental let alone the landlord charging you to to come out and or expecting you to cover repairs/replacements.

I feel like there was a clause in one of our leases about the call out reason like they’d charge you if you called them out to replace a bulb or something stupid but not a genuine reason.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

Surely that can’t be normal there. Also, surely they should have given you these conditions before you signed the lease?!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

smalex wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 pm What, so basically you get all the downsides of renting, and none of the upsides?!
Pretty much. Obviously we’ve pushed back on the ones above.

Bidding on the rental is mainly due to there just not being properties available at the mo. We offered below the asking rental so being outbid is always a risk.

Exactly, Fig so none of the conditions are binding or the lease is void.

Weirdly, we’ve had a really lovely note from the landlords welcoming us to Georgia, offering to introduce us to the neighbours etc so we’re waiting for them to call now re the terms!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I was just reading our contract today to check end of tenancy arrangements. Ours is nothing like that! Reasonable wear and tear is included. Nothing about fixing appliances ourselves. That’s so weird! We had our lease looked over by the legal dept in S’s office and they said it was very standard.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

That's Singapore rules. Most people just lose their deposit Abd the landlords expect a better house back and don't understand things ageing.

I would push back on the appliances and if needs be ask them to remove them and buy my own. The visitors I'd push to a month.

We had hardwood (bloody soft) floors in ours, there is a website irugs which comes up as uk, SG wherever. Room sized rugs, cheap, free delivery and loads of choice. They are based in the States so very fast for you.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

We have just had a call with the landlords and all the weird terms were basically included after a succession of bad tenants.

They’ve had people trash the house and call them over to actually change lightbulbs or flick the circuit breaker back on so they acknowledge the terms are OTT. So if we break an appliance we pay for repair, if it stops working then then they pay. Wear and tear for hardwood floors is included now (last to last tenant wore heels and pitted the floors) and clause about visitors has been removed altogether.

The two houses opposite us both have kids similar age to ours and one has a pool so we need to befriend them stat!

We have a house!!
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Perfect! I've had bad tenants so I get it but that's not a home.

Congratulations! When do you get in?

Take them cake! Do something quaint British.
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

Congratulations!

Good news about the terms as well.

House three was my favourite. Lovely and bright.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Congratulations! I'm glad you went for my favourite too. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

We’ve have asked for the 15th Feb! Their tenants want out badly (they told me) but are contracted until end of March so she’s going to check with them even though I know they are ready to move out next weekend.
Hannieroo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 pm We had hardwood (bloody soft) floors in ours, there is a website irugs which comes up as uk, SG wherever. Room sized rugs, cheap, free delivery and loads of choice. They are based in the States so very fast for you.
Thanks for this, Hannie. I’ll definitely take a look.

You may visit in that case, Ken. :))

I’m going to invite the neighbours over for afternoon tea once we’re in. :l: I might do the same for some of the school mums I’ve met.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I will come for 6.8 days. Maybe when you've sorted pool access.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

You should. I find inviting people over the only way to make friends plus your subdivision will have book clubs, a mom's night out etc.

The rugs take so much stress away, our house had a flood (good) but they put new floors in and I dented one on the first day with a step ladder. I dread to think what my kids would have done to them.

How fabulous! Weight off for you all.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Congratulations, olive! Make them cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I like that rug website Hannieroo.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

H1ppychick wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 pm I like that rug website Hannieroo.
Obviously you get what you pay for but I think they cover most tastes and budgets and even in SG it was only about 5 days. Free return too.

Sandwiches, tea and scones.