Choose my house

olive
Really Creepy

Re: Choose my house

Post by olive »

Potentially back to the drawing board. :ruby: There was apparently some confusion about a 5% rental increase I found just before signing yesterday. Apparently it’s standard but would cost us an extra $1k for the last 6 months.

They are trying to find a solutions as they seem pretty keen on us but they all end with us paying the additional 5% and I’m just not prepared to do that.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

They increase the rent after a year?

Does the contract have a diplomatic clause?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Yes, so basically they had sneaking in a tweak to the contract which said we are subject to a 5% rent increase after 12 months.

Also they had this written in to the amends;

6. Hard wood floors refinished on 7/17. Scratches/dents are not considered “normal wear/tear” and are tenants responsibility. Furniture on hard wood must have felt pads to eliminate dents and scratches; No plants permitted on any floors except tiled floors— condensation stains on hardwood are not considered, “normal wear/tear”; rocking chairs, toys, shoe heels, or any item that have potential to scratch/dent not permitted on hardwood. Movers must protect the floors/stairs—tenants are responsible for any damages.

We fed back that we weren’t happy with the amends and the landlord set up a call to talk through. We got to a place that we were ok with but it’s made Mr O and I really nervous that they are going to be a complete nightmare to deal with.

Our relocation team looked it over and advised us not to sign so we told the landlords that we were not going to proceed.

They then came back and said that they’ve been burnt very badly by previous tenants which is why the stipulations are all in there. But they seem to like us a lot and have said they will waive the 5% and let us rewrite the terms.

Mr O and I are still pretty wary and to sign this lease seems like it will bite us on the arse big time.

However, it’s my favourite house (the light, space and proportions are perfect) and in my preferred location (close-ish to school, gym and all after school activities plus the highway for Mr O’s commute).

I’ve seen 7 houses this week alone that are not right. I’m not being picky as they were quite fundamental things like right next to a main road, 2 with no garden and at least 2 where the view from the bedrooms was of a brick walla about six feet away.

I’m practising being zen and hoping the universe throws a house with a garden into my lap soon.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Hannieroo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 pm
Does the contract have a diplomatic clause?
No as Mr O’s contacts stipulates that it’ll pay all associated relocation costs including lease, school fees, shipping etc.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's tricky, but if they've agreed to get rid of all the unreasonable stuff I'd be tempted to give it a whirl, as there's not lots of alternatives.

Oh, does that mean you're not paying the rent but his company are? In that case, I'd be a lot more tempted to go ahead.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

But if the relocation company have advised against signing that does put you in a tricky situation.

No toys on the floors? :ttth: The floors here are in pretty good condition but there are a few scuffs and dents - there were some here before and you just can’t avoid it with kids in the house. We do have felt pads on the furniture though and they work really well (and were cheap in ACE)
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

That sounds like an SG contract. Whilst it's all a bit full on you'd be suprised how easy it is to live with. Who puts a plant on a wooden floor? I've never had a condensation stain. And it's not a big or expensive job to get refinishers in. The felt pads are easy enough.

And if it's company rent then they pay the deposit? I can understand the agents saying no but it's not like your cup of choice overflows. But also why the hell aren't the agents doing it? I've never done this myself, I tell them, they tell LL agent and so forth.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:51 pm That's tricky, but if they've agreed to get rid of all the unreasonable stuff I'd be tempted to give it a whirl, as there's not lots of alternatives.

Oh, does that mean you're not paying the rent but his company are? In that case, I'd be a lot more tempted to go ahead.
No, we pay the rent but they pay the security deposit. If the company were paying I’d take it.

Realistically I have two pretty boisterous kids and I don’t want to spend the next 18 months screeching at them. Our floor at home was scratched within a month of being laid down. No idea how or what caused it but these things do happen and I feel like we might spend our time walking on eggshells or waiting to be caught out.

I’m having visions of handing out shoe covers to visitors.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Hannieroo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm And if it's company rent then they pay the deposit? I can understand the agents saying no but it's not like your cup of choice overflows. But also why the hell aren't the agents doing it? I've never done this myself, I tell them, they tell LL agent and so forth.
Weirdly the landlords won’t speak to the realtor! They will only deal with us directly. The current tenant said they never talk to him by phone - only email or text so they can document everything. He is gobsmacked that they’ve called us twice already.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It’ll be miserable if you’re constantly having to worry about the floors and stuff :twitch:. It seems so unreasonable.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I do think the wear and tear terms seem a bit (massively) unreasonable. You want to be able to quietly enjoy the house, not be on edge about scuff marks or the kids running round and maybe slightly scratching something which would be completely normal behaviour whilst living in a house.

What are the terms on the deposit? If Mr O's company are paying it, can it just not be your problem if they are arseholes at the end of the tenancy about "damage" or are there separate terms from Mr O's company re. losing the deposit? Like would you guys have to stump up for damage?

I'd be quite wary where they've said "oh, it's only because we've been burnt in the past" and then they've still not toned it down to a normal level of rules for people to live by.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yes, maybe they haven’t been burnt, they’ve been unrealistic. Also can’t they take out insurance if they need more protection than usual.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

The thing is, if we’d cause any damage of course we’d pay for it! But this doesn’t allow for any wear and tear at all. She did say that the previous tenants had trashed the floor so badly that’s why it was replaced.

We’ve amended it to read along the lines of any damage over and above wear and tear is our responsibility to fix but then we’ll get into what expected wear and tear is. :ruby:

Yesterday I’d decided we should take it and put massive rugs down and it would be fine but then the realtor spoke to the current tenant and he is losing his deposit so is furious and massively slagged them off. They did mention that he broke the shower but I’m not comfortable hearing his version as I don’t know how truthful either side are being.

Of course he’s not going to say nice things given they are making him pay the last 2 months rent (as per the contract) for breaking his contract and keeping his deposit which seems excessive? As that’s in the region of $10k!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’d be avoiding that place like the plague, but I realise you don’t have too many options at the moment.
smalex

Post by smalex »

There's something about the combination of all their demands and all the tales of tenants who have wronged them that rings my alarm bells.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I'm very torn. Our LL in the States was easygoing, only saw his agent on the day we took on and the day closed out and in 4 years no rent raise and a yearly Xmas card. But in SG what you are describing is standard and we room sized rugs, no shoes (but that's common in Asia and Scotland) and it was okay but losing deposits was a common thing, it was seen as bonus to the LL. My LL here refused to do an inventory or rules because if we are happy he is. So all very different.

But a wall view from a bedroom? Light is very important to me but how much do you look out? You could view it as extra privacy.

I feel for you. This bit is like trying to shove wet spaghetti up a wild dog's arse.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

And not going through their realtor. LL who are overinvested emotionally in the property, like it's their home, can be hard. We had one who couldn't understand why the 20 year old oven they never used (ever!) suddenly broke when I moved in.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

smalex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 pm There's something about the combination of all their demands and all the tales of tenants who have wronged them that rings my alarm bells.
Common denominator?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Exactly.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Hannieroo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 pm
I feel for you. This bit is like trying to shove wet spaghetti up a wild dog's arse.
This is exactly what it’s like. :))

We’ve sent a message letting them know that we’re out and were semi truthful in that a house finished to such a high standard probably isn’t suited to a family with young (boisterous children). Landlord messaged back straight away and said she didn’t understand but wished us luck anyway.

She has also sent several huge emails with local recommendations incl paediatricians, kids activities, swimming pools, gyms, restaurants etc. It’s really kind but she feels slightly over invested.