Ideal Homes- Show Us Your New Purchases!

FiveO'Clock

Re: Ideal Homes- Show Us Your New Purchases!

Post by FiveO'Clock »

We decided to celebrate our fifth anniversary by updating the main floor bath instead of gifts or a weekend away. We found the mirror a month ago and the countertop today.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Love that mirror
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh, they are both lovely! The bathroom will be very glam.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

My lights have arrived, but there are problems, and I'm not sure what to do.

We went to collect them, and M has fitted the pendant and put together the floor lamp (neither was an easy job, as the bulbs they sold us were too big to slide in so there was a lot of faffing about to get them right. Anyway, he did the pendant first, and it looks good, but when we switched on the floor lamp it is clear that they are different colours. They have sent the pendant in the silver colour shade with gold fittings, and the floor lamp is, as requested, in the gold. I like them both, but it looks odd, and will be worse tomorrow when they are switched off.

Pendant
IMG_2968.jpeg
The woman in the shop was clear that as the pendant was a special order it couldn't go back, and M has shortened the hanging cable etc anyway, but it really wasn't obvious in the dim light (obviously the electricity was off when he fitted it) that they had sent the wrong shade. They weren't cheap, and ill believing with them for ages, so I'm not sure what to do, if there is anything that can be done. I can ring them on Monday and see what they say, but :fee:.

Floor lamp
IMG_2973.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Surely the fact that it’s a special order is irrelevant if they sent the wrong one.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I hope so.

I don't know if they do the pendant in gold though. They don't have it on the website, and the shop woman said she could order it in. I think they've sent the gold fittings and a silver shade, as that is all there is, and the shop woman made a mistake. The problem is that we've fitted it, and the hanging cord is cut. Maybe we should have opened everything, but there was a lotto packaging and it seemed more sensible to do it one at a time. I did think that the shade wasn't very gold, but as I say, the power was off and there was just afternoon light to see by, so I just went with what it said on the box. When we opened the flor lamp it did look more obviously gold, but by then we had the power on, and the pendant looks completely different when it's on - the silvery look vanishes and it is much more clear. The gold one is very similar, but has a definite gold/amber tinge, which we prefer.

I've bought the brass wall lights and table lamp (in my post upthread) to tone with the gold glass, and I now think the best I can hope for is that they'll swap the gold floor lamp for a silver one. Whatever I do is going to be at best a compromise, unless there has just been a mistake about the pendant and for some reason the website doesn't offer it, the shop doesn't have one, but they can be ordered.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's really frustrating, Morgs. I think if it's not what you asked for they should refund or replace despite you fitting it.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I would expect the shop to make it right for you. They're really gorgeous lamps.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks. They are lovely - it's just that they don't match. I don't know if they can make it right, though. If there is no large gold one available, how can they?

I could settle for matching chrome pendant and floor light, but that won't tone with the wall lights and table lamp, which were bought for that reason. I don't want to reject them altogether, as I really like them. I Want A Gold Pendant, and feel like stamping my feet until I get one :lol:.

I've emailed them to say I'll be phoning on Monday afternoon, and can they please consider my options ahead of the call #assertive.

What would you all do?

Have you got your bathroom done? Can we have a photo if so, please?
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I hope they can sort out the issue Morgs.

Extremely boring and practical but we have new curtains and a thermal lined Roman blind. They don't quite match as they were bought separately :look:. The curtains are just long enough to tuck behind the radiator.

I've used the curtains that were up at the window to "close" off the dining room to the rest of the house when we are working as there is always a draught so hopefully this solution will help. I've also put up a curtain at the door :ella: :oldhouse:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Closing off the dining room is a good idea. Apart from the heat aspect it will separate the working day more.

I have found a big difference since getting the perfect fit blinds in my sitting room. The room feels a lot warmer when they are closed, and drawing the curtains over them is cosier still. I think you'll feel the benefit straight away.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Morganna wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:50 pm Have you got your bathroom done? Can we have a photo if so, please?
The fitters are booked out a few weeks. After they put in the counter and sink, we'll hang the mirror and then decide on the new lights. I have some picked out but won't be sure until I see the rest in place.

Definitely call tomorrow to see how they will sort the lamps out for you. It's not your mistake that you hung them, they sent the wrong items and will need to make it right.

That's a clever solution, Bramble!
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:45 pm Surely the fact that it’s a special order is irrelevant if they sent the wrong one.
Hopefully not too late to be os use, but absolutely this - section 11 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says goods must be as described.You have a right to reject them if they are not.

The shop might say they can’t be returned, as they were a special order, but this just means you can’t change your mind. If they are not what you ordered and paid for, you don’t have to accept that.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks, Liv, and not too late, as I'm ringing them tomorrow. My issue is that if I can't have the item I ordered (ie the large gold pendant) because it doesn't exist, I then have to decide what I do want - a replacement floor lamp to match the silver one, which would mean I had brass wall and table lamps and silver pendant and floor lamp, or reject them both and look for different ones. I'm torn on that one, as I love the look of them both - just not together.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I think they're gorgeous but I would not want a compromise as it would annoy me forever. I do think the gold looks like it fits much better with everything else.

I don't think the pendant (you mean big light by that, right?) and floor lamp need to match, so I'd keep the lamp and look for another main light fitting. Or return both and keep looking.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I agree with Ken. And the rest of your room is all warm colours, I think, so I'd stick with goldy warm fittings.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks both. Yes, I mean Big Light :)).

I'm torn, as I love the shape of the big light, and when it's on it doesn't look silver, but clear. Getting both of them to match wouldn't be so much of a compromise if they didn't look so silver when off. I agree that they don't have to match, but it needs to go one way or the other - either the same or totally different. This is the worst of both worlds. I'm repeating myself now, though. I'll see what they say tomorrow, and spend a bit of time tonight looking for alternatives. But I want these ones to be right :banghead:

ETA
I have found the lamp elsewhere :frolic:

So if they can't help, I'll return the one I've got and buy it from them. Not only that, but they have a 10% off offer on, and it's cheaper than mine was even without that. I might chance my arm about that, too, and see if they'll price match for the inconvenience.

.https://www.lightboxshop.co.uk/nina-lar ... -copy.html
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Did you resolve the light situation, Morgs?

I am quite happy as the curtains seem to be doing the job! We dug out the oil filled radiator and have been using that for the last couple of days along with keeping the room dividing curtains closed and the dining room has been a lot warmer during the day. I'll do a comparison of cost tomorrow as we had the oven on yesterday so that's inflated the electric use but we have definitely used less gas as we've not had the heating on (apart from an hour in the morning)

I get a lot colder than C so I am still using a blanket over my knees :cold: :granny:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, it turns out that it was a coincidence that neither their shop or website sell the gold pendants and also I was sent the silver one they do stock. Their suppliers can send out a replacement, and we can keep the fittings in situ. I had to send photos of both the big light and the floor lamp both lit and off (not sure why, really) which they have sent to the supplier, and they'll be in touch. I did ask if there was a likely timeframe and apparently it could take up to a month :ella:. It's far from the end of the world, but annoying, as I just want the room to be as it should be before something else gets scratched or drops off its perch.

In other news, the decorator is here painting over the Valspar paint in the hall. I've gone for the brand baa recommended (Johnson's?), in Pea Green, which sounds awful but is a good match for the dark paint, and it's looking better already. She's going to do the dining room too, but just touch up the sitting room , as I can't face moving everything out of there to redo it all. Also (I'm on a roll!) I ironed out the ring marks on the coffee table. I started a thread a while ago as there were faint white marks on it, but never had the courage to do it. M managed to get three (3!) white rings on it over Christmas, though, and I reasoned that even if I spoilt it I'd be no worse off, so I had a go. I started with Ring Remover, which was useless, and then went in with the iron. The biggest mark is still faintly visible, but I think I can only see it because I know it's there. For reasons I don't understand, there is no iron-based damage. It took a while, but it worked.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I'm glad they're making it right for you. Well done on removing the rings!