Strange & Unusual Houses

Rebel Pebble

Re: Strange & Unusual Houses

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I'd never heard of the Court of Protection before.

I'm going to guess that Annette is old, frail, dementia probably - certainly vulnerable mentally - and has been taken advantage of and let this person(s) into her house. Cuckooing-ish. Maybe she's gone into a nursing home now and a family member or friend has gone to the Court of Protection. They must have decided it's be easier to sell the property and make the interloper the problem of the buyer than try and get rid of him first before selling.

That grey house is fucking horrible. I'd rather buy a wreck than pay for someone else's shit taste, worshipping at the current altar of grey.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

It seems a legal minefield. You're basically selling a legal problem! Like, I don't know, like you buy a car but it's full of stolen cocaine and now the police and the mafia are after you.

The solicitor should be sorting the eviction, not ringing up the auction house to get it off their hands.
rosy

Post by rosy »

So at the most the tenant has a deemed periodic tenancy, and can be given a section 21 (two months notice) if rent is up to date, or a section 8 if not, followed by a possession order and a warrant for eviction if they don’t leave.

That’s not going to be cheap, plus the new owner is already taking a chance on the structural integrity of the property.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm so confused by this. Presumably it's much cheaper than a house of this sort would be otherwise? Or why would anyone bother buying jt? But equally why sell it at a big loss rather than deal with this situation?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I googled her, and I think she’s dead. So it’s an estate sale by the looks of it. She may also be responsible for other properties that have fallen into disrepair, as it’s a pretty unusual name.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/l ... ned-481762
rosy

Post by rosy »

Looking at the comparables (though I don’t know the area so might be including roads that aren’t strictly comparable) it’s not that much cheaper bearing in mind possible structural damage plus the cost of getting the occupant(s) out.

The CoP has to appoint someone (a deputy) to act in Ms Drummond-Rees’s best interests, but I don’t think they can spend what income/capital she might have on speculative legal action to get the occupant out which might cost more than she loses by selling the house under value.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh wow.
smalex

Post by smalex »

rosy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:43 pm Looking at the comparables (though I don’t know the area so might be including roads that aren’t strictly comparable) it’s not that much cheaper bearing in mind possible structural damage plus the cost of getting the occupant(s) out.

The CoP has to appoint someone (a deputy) to act in Ms Drummond-Rees’s best interests, but I don’t think they can spend what income/capital she might have on speculative legal action to get the occupant out which might cost more than she loses by selling the house under value.
Ah OK, I see. That makes sense
rosy

Post by rosy »

The property in Devon must have so beautiful when it was in good condition :(
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

rosy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:47 pm The property in Devon must have so beautiful when it was in good condition :(
There's a website devoted to the restoration of it with lots of old footage:

https://mountfield-house.co.uk/history- ... eld-house/
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I know this isn't that strange or unusual but I'm seeing a lot of this. Would you not make your bed, just for once, if you knew you were having your bedroom photographed for sale?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I would assume that has tenants in.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Even that weird grey house a couple of posts back had an unmade bed (perhaps the only deviation from the norm their child was allowed alongside 4 small red items :lol: ).
Skips

Post by Skips »

I remember many years ago viewing a house and I swear the tenants (who had been told the owners were selling) were boiling cabbage.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Rosa

Post by Rosa »

That's hilarious!
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

:lol: Clever use of a mirror can enhance the feeling of space dontcha know..........:woteva:

They're one of those overexcitable blurb agencies. Giving you the option of a home office which a lot of people are looking for these days! .Yes, alright, petal. Calm down. It's a second bedroom.
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

That rear courtyard garden is anything but "delightful".
smalex

Post by smalex »

The rear courtyard is like some sort of visual metaphor for despair

I would like to know where the ladder goes though?!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Why would you bother putting double-doors into such a terrible space? It must never get the sun.