House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Marth »

Hiya. Nothing yet. There’s a big covid delay on mortgage valuations, so no date in sight for that for my buyers or their survey.

My survey is booked, but last I heard they were still looking for something. It’s soooo slow. I’m trying to be chilled about it.
Malan
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

I know everything seems to take so long. We had trouble finding a surveyor at first but eventually found one.
Mr Speedy just asked the solicitors everything was going through okay and they said we're just waiting on the new build. I would love just to get a date and I've also reminded the solicitors how we're funding the purchase.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Do you think it will be much longer, Speedy?

I want to ask what level of prompting I should be employing. My own EA called me last week saying something about the buyers mortgage valuation and would I be in blah blah covid etc?. I said probably but they would need to call me surely to arrange? EA said yes I think but I haven't heard anything. So I sent an email to the sales progresser asking for clarity and haven't heard anything. Nor nothing about their survey etc.

Nothing from my sellers solicitors . My solicitor seems on the ball which is good, but nothing is really coming back.

It actually hasn't been that long so I don't want to be an arsehole, but I've no idea about a reasonable level of chasing to employ? And who to chase, the ea, the solicitor?
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Also do mortgage valuation people come inside?
Malan
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Chasing solicitors and estate agents is THE WORST. We got the most traction getting our estate agent to do the chasing as our solicitors were useless and we had a fantastic EA and it just so happened the whole chain were with the same agents so she kept everything moving. I would keep doing what you are doing - get your solicitor to chase the other solicitor and keep up a dialogue with your EA too.

During covid some mortgage lenders were doing online valuations but some still insisted on going into the house, they would do usually I think.
Skips

Post by Skips »

We recently had a mortgage valuation due to remortgaging and they did come in. I was also surprised as they booked within a week of us applying and I thought there was a delay, but I guess it depends on the area (saying that there is a lot of movement with sales in the Forest so it's not exactly slow).
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thanks for that. When the EA called he said he had the mortgage people on the line and wanted to check if I would be in or not, then I just heard no more, and that's why I emailed. I think I will call them again tomorrow as the just seem to ignore emails.
Malan
Margo

Post by Margo »

Some of our surveyors are doing remote valuations but are also doing physical ones where they enter the property they’re surveying. We have really good COVID precautions in place so both the surveyors and householders are as protected as possible.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Our lender did a desktop valuation, but it was in the weeks after full lockdown and we do live in the arse end of nowhere.

We're supposedly exchanging this week and completing next. I am in complete denial apart from finally settling on which colour to paint our bed (it's old and scratched and there's a huge mark where a glo stick once leaked).
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'd call the solicitor once a week to chase. I've found that if you don't, nothing happens.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Starry

Post by Starry »

Our valuer asked me to leave all internal doors open so he didn’t have to touch anything, and I had to take the kids into the garden while he did the valuation. It was 10 minutes and he was done. The survey they came inside for, it was done while we were out.
Marth

Post by Marth »

I wonder if they did a desktop valuation in the end. I will call that EA today to find out, and to find out what's going on with my buyers, as it's been complete radio silence. My solicitor independently chased theirs last week as he wrote to them and after 9 days hadn't heard back.

Fingers crossed, Beena! What colour will the bed be?

ETA I've emailed the EA, but telling them I will be calling today, so they have some advance notice and could possibly chase the buyers. I'm determined not to do any "sorry to bother you" or "I just need to know", because I am paying them an eyewatering amount of money.
Malan
speedy gonzalez

Good luck Beena.
Our buyer had a desktop/drive-by survey done on our house. We only found out about it when we rang our solicitors to say we'd had the survey done on the house we're buying and they mentioned that the one that was done on ours had come back fine.
Beena

Post by Beena »

They didn't have a proper survey, Speedy? That's brave.

I'm undecided on the paint colour again. I was thinking of Firle chalk paint, but then I bought some old rose bed linen in TK Maxx last night and already have lovely burnt orange velvet curtains, so I might need to tone things down.

Can you tell I'm avoiding dealing with any of the 1000 serious issues that are giving me palpitations?
speedy gonzalez

I know.We we were all geared up for a surveyor coming round.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Beena wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:46 am They didn't have a proper survey, Speedy? That's brave.
We haven't had a survey at all for either of our property purchases! :livingontheedge: :))
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I wouldn't bother with a survey next time. Mine was a total waste of money and she missed so many things. I'd rather give a builder a few quid to come round the property with me.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Well my survey that was due to take place this Friday, has been pushed back to the 11th of Nov! Due to "unforseen circs".

My vendors haven't found anything and haven't forwarded over any paperwork to my solicitor, ie the contents form etc. My buyers also haven't done anything. I think they might be waiting for their mortgage offer. I had my mortgage application accepted and then automatically offered today, which was good I suppose.
Malan
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

You need a survey for your mortgage, surely?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:59 pm You need a survey for your mortgage, surely?
No, they did a desktop valuation I expect. My loan to value is very low, and I'm porting my mortgage. I had to undergo the full application process though.

ETA the survey is for me only.
Malan