House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Marth »

Oh they sound terrible, Beena.

I'm too scared to lie on my property information form (not that I would anyway), but mainly because I would rather any issues came to light early on and could be resolved.

What are your solicitor's thoughts?
Malan
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I'd insist they had a building inspector in (at their cost) to confirm and sign off that the work is up to code, and I'd want to see the whole of that form re the boiler service. I wouldn't trust them an inch, from what you've said.

Our vendors did a lot of work on this house themselves and we insisted that they got the en suite signed off retrospectivrly before exchange. We didn't worry about the loft conversion as they could prove it was done 30-odd years ago (and the council have it listed as a 5 bed).
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Truthfully? My instinct would be to run for the wind and accept this winter's heating bills.

However, if you really truly can't stomach that, and have money in the budget for a complete rewire (and a sparky on hand to do it quickly before the place blows up) then the very least I'd accept is an indemnity policy (good for at least five years) taken out by the vendor against any issues with the planning department. Oh, and I'd definitely want to see that boiler service report in full, no dates cut off. Also, what did your survey say about the state of any building work done recently? Would it be worth sending a builder you trust round to have a look at the place?

ETA Lora's idea is better. A Planning Inspector round to give it the OK would be preferable - and if they say no without even investigating the idea (as I guess there could well be a delay on that, what with the joys of local councils and Covid), then you know that your spidey senses were correct.
Beena

Post by Beena »

She's commented a few times that they have a loose relationship with the truth. She also thinks we're overpaying, which we are, but there's nothing else on the market we can afford. A house across the road came on the market for £80k more; it's done, but we'd still want to change things to suit ourselves. Even if we have to completely rewired and redo the plumbing to fix dodgy workmanship with this one, it wouldn't cost £80k.

I don't know if they're terrible or just have issues. It is genuinely like we're dealing with two people, who don't talk to each other. One of them booking the service, the other sending in blatantly fraudulent documents. Who does that?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Are they perhaps selling due to a relationship breakdown and don't talk to each other? Even if that were the case, you'd think they would want to bend over backwards to smooth the process even more!
Beena

Post by Beena »

Loralei wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm I'd insist they had a building inspector in (at their cost) to confirm and sign off that the work is up to code, and I'd want to see the whole of that form re the boiler service. I wouldn't trust them an inch, from what you've said.

Our vendors did a lot of work on this house themselves and we insisted that they got the en suite signed off retrospectivrly before exchange. We didn't worry about the loft conversion as they could prove it was done 30-odd years ago (and the council have it listed as a 5 bed).
We've asked them to provide an EICR from a registered contractor and we'll take it from there. From what I can tell, the council won't sign off electrical work after a certain point. Our electrician fell ill while rewiring our last house and died shortly after. We had a bit of a nightmare getting it signed off, but at least he had been registered.

The solicitor has already asked for (another) indemnity policy. This will be the 3rd or 4th. I'm ready to walk, but it's J that can't stomach it. This would be the 3rd house we'd have to walk away from, if we do.

We should get a copy of the report from the boiler service being carried out next week. I cannot get my head around trying to pass off an old one like that.
Beena

Post by Beena »

That did cross my mind, Hippy, but the EA is gossipy and something would have slipped out.

I think it's more likely that one goes rogue and the other is in charge of damage limitation
Beena

Post by Beena »

At the risk of the thread turning into me :blah:

The EA has been in touch. It appears we have asked enough questions now and her clients no longer have 'appetite' to engage in further discussion on the matter. That she hopes that draws a line under it and that our solicitor sees sense.

Our solicitor is bemused.

I'm going to restart viewing other property. I suppose one of the benefits of being chain-free is you don't have to put up with this shit.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Beena wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:57 am At the risk of the thread turning into me :blah:

The EA has been in touch. It appears we have asked enough questions now and her clients no longer have 'appetite' to engage in further discussion on the matter. That she hopes that draws a line under it and that our solicitor sees sense.

Our solicitor is bemused.

I'm going to restart viewing other property. I suppose one of the benefits of being chain-free is you don't have to put up with this shit.
Oh God. I'm sure they have had enough. It must be exhausting trying to bamboozle you and your representative. What twats.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

I would move on beena. It sounds like they want to sell without any questions being asked and hope any issues are swept under the carpet. I know you say nothing comes up at that price, but what would he the long term price if you proceed and what will you be held responsible for if you sell in the future. Other houses will be available.
rosy

Post by rosy »

It sounds like walking away might be the answer, Beena. I’d be worrying about what else might they be hiding.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

That sounds so dodgy Beena. What a pain to have to walk away but it sounds like the right thing to do. If they are this cagey (blatant liars) about the things you've already uncovered then who knows what else there will be.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

They sound dodgy as, Beena. I suspect if you don't buy it, it will be on the market for a long time, while they piss off buyer after buyer.

I wouldn't be walking away, I'd be running as fast as my legs could carry me. If they've been dodgy about what they have told you, what aren't they telling you.

And 16 viewers is amazing, Marth, good luck! Quick, whack the price up £10k :lol:
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a really lovely property with sensible sellers Beena. Good luck for today Marth.
Been waiting to hear the survey on our house from our buyer but he must have gone for just a valuation one and all is good. Looking increasingly likely that it could be put on hold if we get a second lock-down which is looking very likely. Our part of Norfolk was really badly hit in March and now it looks like we're going to have to go through it again.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Hope it doesn't happen, Speedy. Though I'm bracing for similar at some point.
Malan
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

Just got to work out where to hang out if the house moves are allowed to go ahead but we're not allowed allowed to visit another households! One of the removal companies is only allowing one person to be in the houses with them so it's Mr Speedy. Has to be the same person either end. Was planning on going to one of the mum's but if we can't mix households that's out. So might have to be work or one of current neighbour's houses if they're at work. Surely doesn't count as mixing if they're not there :)) Once we're at the new house I guess I can hide in the summerhouse till the removal men have gone.
Marth

Post by Marth »

I accepted an offer today on the flat. I had 11 offers, 2 very very good, 9 not good enough and none in between. The EA asked them all for final offers last night and 9 increased their offers so it was much better.

I'm quite stressed and worried already, but I have 8 viewings in Bristol from Wed onwards. A friend is coming up from Devon to stay and help me :))
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh my goodness! That's amazing. I'm so pleased for you. Hope the viewings go well and we're not a damp squib!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yay, Marth :weewee:!
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

That is excellent news, Marth! Congratulations and fingers crossed for a smooth sale.