House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Derek Nimmo

House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Derek Nimmo »

A cheery title I thought, but we need a new thread especially now Fig has had an offer accepted!

I am hopeful that this will be my year. I've had a ridiculous (but then again, the market is ridiculous) valuation on my flat and am now just waiting for something that I actually like to come on the market. I'm going to see something on Saturday, and the owner wants to downsize to a ground floor flat with outside space :puzz: It would be far too neat if that worked out though...
Ella77

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Ella77 »

Ooh, I hope you can swap :))! Are you still looking in that building you like, or somewhere else? What sort of thing are you after (if that's not too nosy)?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You never know Del, we did it! I'd like more details too please :beak:.

I am coming to visit you when you move whether you like it or not. It's been too long. And I still wear the gorgeous earrings you talked me into buying once years ago.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I would love to have you Squiz, anytime! And my next place will have a PROPER second bedroom too. As well as be on the top floor, and be a bit further away from the sea, as well as still having a proper eat-in kitchen and separate living room and bedroom(s) away from the road. And have a share of freehold, as well as a scrap of balcony. That about covers off what I'm looking for :))

If I moved further out either East or West I might just about be able to afford a house but I like being so central. Alas, the two flats (because of their position to the road) that I would have considered in the Block of Dreams are off the market, so I will just have to content myself with looking longingly - and lovingly - at it as I pass.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Fingers crossed, del.

We are going to try and move this year. I love our house, we look out over fields and have a huge garden, but the house itself is too small and it's getting a bit rough round here. Location wise there's nothing actually where we live but it's only 3 miles from the city center. We've narrowed our options to moving into the city center or moving to a smallish town about 30 minutes away. And that's where we get stuck.

The town has great schools, loads for Mungus to do as a child and trains to London in case I want to work in the city again when he's older. But apart from a few pubs it has nothing for him to do as a teenager/young adult.

Obviously there would be loads for him to do in the city, but our commutes would be a nightmare as they are at the moment and we'd probably have to get a smaller place, no parking and very little garden.

And that's where we get stuck :lol:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

The house we've been renting (as landlords) will go up for sale shortly. I think the photographs were done today. Then it's just the small matter of buying a nice house in this area so we can finally feel more settled. House prices here are :eek: but we like it here, it's convenient for work and social aspects and the boys are happy in their schools. I don't want to move them again.
Florin

Post by Florin »

Good luck all movers - and any possibility of a swap would be great. We've just moved and even though it all went very smoothly, it is still so stressful - especially the week before Christmas. We have a summerhouse though, which I am so excited about
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Congratulations Florin! A summer house sounds amazing, do you have any pictures?
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

That does sound amazing! I'd love to see too. Congratulations :disco:
Florin

Post by Florin »

The summerhouse is quite old and rickety, but with a bit of paint will hopefully be lovely. It all needs quite a bit of work, but feels quite homely as it is all very 70s and reminds me of the house I grew up in

I miss my old kitchen and bathroom though, but do have a lovely morning view as it backs onto fields (although can still hear the M3)

I'm also excited that I have stairs :disco:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuppa tea

Post by cuppa tea »

Florin, that's gorgeous! Congratulations! And to Fig on the offer!
And best of luck to all the movers
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

That's lovely! B will have so much fun in that garden.

There's always a compromise to be made isn't there? I hope you get used to your kitchen / bathroom soon.
Florin

Post by Florin »

Thanks
Derek Nimmo wrote:That's lovely! B will have so much fun in that garden.

There's always a compromise to be made isn't there? I hope you get used to your kitchen / bathroom soon.
There's a big tree at the back of the garden, which should be good for a treehouse

The bathroom definitely needs sorting as the tank is too small to fill a bath with hot water and it is a tiny trickle of a shower - and it is carpeted :(
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Oh if it's sortable that's great - I thought you were stuck with a tiny room or something. When do you think you'll be able to get rid of the carpet ( :cry:) at least?
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

It looks lovely, Florin!
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

That house looks lovely, Florin! And best of luck Derek and Cerise. And good luck making decisions, Angus!

(I love this thread, but agree entirely with the title and am hopefully not moving from our house for at least another 10 years or so :)) )
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Good luck Del, Cerise and Angus and congratulations Fig!

Florin, that house looks lovely. How exciting.
Florin

Post by Florin »

Thanks all, it's fantastic to finally have a little bit more space
Derek Nimmo wrote:Oh if it's sortable that's great - I thought you were stuck with a tiny room or something. When do you think you'll be able to get rid of the carpet ( :cry:) at least?
We have big plans to go into the attic and extend the kitchen and possibly convert the garage - but first thing will be bathroom and the carpet of horror. Four year olds and carpeted bathrooms do not mix
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I feel your pain Florin, there was carpet everywhere when I moved in here. Bathroom and kitchen!

Fab house though, what a great garden!

Good luck to all movers (like Liv, I am in the "not for a long time/ever again" camp.)
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lucy666

Post by Lucy666 »

Ha, same! It's just a bizarre choice.