olive
Really Creepy

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by olive »

Lovely view, Chicky! Congratulations!
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

I'm so pleased for you and that view is gorgeous. We're moving from a house with a view to one without. However as the trees have grown over the years it's only in the middle of winter we can really see out across the fields.
Starry

Post by Starry »

Congratulations!
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Brilliant news!
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Brilliant view! Congratulations!
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

Gorgeous view! Congratulations
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Congrats Chicky - I’m so glad you are in, and what a lovely view!
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Ok, I have some daft questions to ask. Please indulge me.

Do you use the same solicitor to handle the sale of your property and the purchase of the new one?

When do you ask them to act?

Should I wait until I am absolutely cleaned up and ready to market before calling the estate agents and getting a valuation/looking to appoint?

Um that might be it for now, but I think I might have more questions.

Oh yes, anything in particular to be mindful of when buying farrrrrrr away?
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I used the same solicitor for the sale and purchase. Surely it's just more hassle to use separate solicitors for both?

I didn't appoint a solicitor until we had accepted an offer! But I did it that day.

I'd clean the house but just invite them over to do valuations asap - don't wait until you've finished every single job on your to-do list. You can always ask them what jobs they recommend getting done before you put the house on the market.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Definitely use the same solicitor for both. You'd be inviting a world of pain if you didn't. I had mine lined up before I put mine on the market, but my family has used the same solicitors for 40 years.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I’d also use a solicitor that offers a set price for their services. It might be they all do now but if you sign up for an hourly rate and have lease issues it can quickly become stupidly expensive.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thanks for that. The reason I wondered about using different ones is that the solicitors here are very good at dealing with our freeholder, and the various and weird issues that arise from them being complete and utter gigantic arseholes. So I would always want to appoint locally to sell, but what happens if you are buying in a area where local knowledge is also key? :))

I'll start calling estate agents then, and get it valued and find out their fees! I've got a big roof job to do, but I can explain that to them Everything else is done apart from painting the hallway, washing the carpets, going to the charity shop etc.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Froozy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:25 pm I’d also use a solicitor that offers a set price for their services. It might be they all do now but if you sign up for an hourly rate and have lease issues it can quickly become stupidly expensive.
That's a very good point. We have terrible freeholders.
Malan
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Marth wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:28 pm Thanks for that. The reason I wondered about using different ones is that the solicitors here are very good at dealing with our freeholder, and the various and weird issues that arise from them being complete and utter gigantic arseholes. So I would always want to appoint locally to sell, but what happens if you are buying in a area where local knowledge is also key? :))
I bought and sold in London using solicitors in Gloucestershire. I'm not sure where local knowledge would have come into it really :look:
Marth

Post by Marth »

nineseven wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:33 pm
Marth wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:28 pm Thanks for that. The reason I wondered about using different ones is that the solicitors here are very good at dealing with our freeholder, and the various and weird issues that arise from them being complete and utter gigantic arseholes. So I would always want to appoint locally to sell, but what happens if you are buying in a area where local knowledge is also key? :))
I bought and sold in London using solicitors in Gloucestershire. I'm not sure where local knowledge would have come into it really :look:
Yes, I don't know. That's why I asked :))

I want to use a solicitor whose father gave me the free advice about the lease issue. (Same practice) as the dad would be very useful if the doubling ground rent issue comes up)
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Every single one of my conveyancing experiences has been shit (as well documented on tmt!) whether that be using recommendations, personal connections, solicitors local to the area, supposed leasehold experts etc etc. So by that measure, next time I'll be going purely on price, and probably online as they simply can't be any worse than any of the cowboys I've tried before!

(In your shoes, I'd absolutely use the ones you know and have a relationship with already.)
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thank you. I've contacted some estate agents. One is fully booked until September! They are selling these types of flat hand over fist! The other one is coming to see me on Thursday. How many should I call do you think?
Malan
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I saw millions last time round and ended up hiring the ones I'd used before as they had the combination of the best photography (v important IMO), nicest/best staff and good reviews on AllAgents and that site whose name I forget that compares their sales figures. Oh and a reasonable-ish fee (which they worked far harder for than my solicitor did).
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I think I called 4 or 5? I felt I’d got an idea of the value from that many and could tell which to avoid :))
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thanks. I called two. They are all quite well known around here. due to Facebook lol. I'll call two more I think then. I've booked a boiler service, and trying to find a window cleaner.
Malan