House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Scooter

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Scooter »

Estrella wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:55 am Chains are not a thing here, Scoots. It’s all about conditions - what have they said did going unconditioned? I guess only building and pest? Which is usually 7 days. Also how does their settlement date in the offer line up with what you need?
Yeah, but unconditional doesn’t mean it’ll def go through, just means a financial penalty if they don’t. We have a 2 day cooling off so once we accept the buyers offer they’ve got 2 days (where they have to arrange their inspection, if they want one) then we get 2 days. Cash buyer would be unconditional.

They know we want to see out winter here and that doesn’t appear to be an issue.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

In theory that’s right on unconditional contracts, in reality though there’s going to be some pretty protracted legal wranglings. It’s a committed executed contract.

To be honest the biggest swing for me on that offer would be the fact that they are ok with a long settlement and you staying for several months. I’d say that’s worth it vs it being an offer at the lower end of your range.

How exciting! How is the build going?
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Not buying but I put an offer in on a rental apartment today.

Like a lot of towns/ cities, there is a shortage of housing in the town and area that I’m moving to next month. The agent who is helping me with the hunt for accommodation found an option that ticked all the boxes, except it’s a little bit bigger than we may need. It has one big master bedroom and two smaller rooms, one of which doesn’t actually have an outdoor window but one that faces on to the main corridor. Hard to explain since I haven’t actually seen it in person but via a video conference! Waiting to hear if the offer is accepted or not, should hopeful hear in the next days.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Fingers crossed for you, Hazey!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Fingers crossed!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

How exciting, Hazey. Fingers crossed for you.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Fingers crossed Hazey!

I’m still plodding along with the worlds slowest sale :ruby: it seems that my cash buyer was actually buying with a mortgage which was only discovered 4 weeks into the sale when I was moaning about lack of progress, but was insistent that a desktop valuation had been done and offer was in place. I’ve been chasing for another 4 weeks and it turns out that was a lie too and they’ve only just done the valuation this week as they turned up at the estate agents requesting keys. Their solicitors won’t send enquiries through until they have the mortgage offer so we’ve just trod water for 8 weeks now, which is infuriating.

I reckon it must be a sneaky game of pretending you are a cash buyer, but by the time it’s come to light that you aren’t, you’re hoping the seller feels like it’s too far down the line to start the process again. My estate agents did all the due diligence on proof of funds but I suspect they are just using that cash to buy multiple properties with mortgages rather than outright in cash.

Anyway, tldr, people are arseholes and the thread title rings true once again :lol:
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Oh pov, how frustrating!

Good luck hazey.

We can't seem to get our buyers (solicitor) to move quickly at all.

The end of June was put about as a completion date but I have tried to get exchange to happen well before that but their solicitor isn't chasing searches apparently :ella:

I'm happy to complete end of June, I just want that security of an exchange sooner. I've pushed it with my solicitor but they aren't exactly rushing either.

The buyers want to come back and measure up but won't commit to a date AND they are off on fucking holiday relaxing and having a good time whilst I'm having a mini breakdown :lol:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I have somewhere to live! We have to think of how best to utilize the windowless room, current thinking is it will be like a den with all the bookcases, football table and cross trainer.

The downside is that I have to pay rent for two apartments for a month (but work gave me an allowance to cover certain things needed to move so it will come out of that.)
Last edited by Hazey_Jane on Thu May 25, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Congratulations!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well, my house sold. 3 opens and a last minute private viewing. The buyers were about to sign, had a roaring argument (with eachother) and while they were sorting themselves out, someone came in for a last minute private viewing and offered more money and a cash deposit (held in trust til settlement).

I am equally :disco: :eek: and :cry: for new challenges and leaving the home we brought the monsters up in. It’s the longest I’ve lived in one house (apart from mam’s house)
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Ah that’s great news Scooter!

My sale has fallen through 3 months in, so I’m back to having two empty houses on the market with no interest in either now, which is a complete shitter but I think I’m just so resigned to the awfulness of it all I can’t even bring myself to get upset :lol: it is what it is :love island:
rosy

Post by rosy »

Wow, Scooter!

Bugger, Pov. I hope you get some interest soon.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Ah, Pov - that is utter shit for you and everything that is wrong with the system. The bare faced lies are the worst part, I think.

Brambs, I hope you get to exchange with a decent interval before completion :fc: and that you are settling in to your lovely new home.

And Scooter - that all sounds very exciting as well as emotional.

We’ve accepted an offer from a couple who have sold to a first time buyer so it’s a short chain with the house we want being a new build.

I absolutely dare not get properly excited though because of the terrible system plus the never ending economic uncertainty plus people are twats; conveyancers doubly so. Once we have all exchanged I will feel a lot less anxious about it.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Good news Scoots.

Oh Pov, that is horrendous. I'm so sorry for this shittiness of it all.

We saw our buyers last week and they are still keen and up for exchange ASAP. Just seems like the solicitors can't be arsed. I've chased again today. There is no reason we can't exchange. All queries are sorted.

The new house is getting there. It now feels safe (ish) and we are glad of the time we've had to sort out the issues. I still hate the fucker that used to live here though. We've moved lots of stuff over but still have the big stuff to move.

Good luck Edith. I wish you well :))
rosy

Post by rosy »

Good luck to everyone for exchanges!

N and her bf were not even considering moving as he is in mortgage fix for another 18 months, but he found a house before they went away on holiday which ticks a lot of boxes. The kitchen and bathroom are a bit dated but nothing they can’t sort. If it’s still available when they get back on Wednesday I think they may do some sums. It’s nearish to Pip!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

My house sale has gone through 🥳 Now I just need to be sensible with the money 😁
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Congrats!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Congrats! Will you buy in Sweden or not for a while?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Probably not for a while, as I think I'll need a permanent contract first.