House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Arrietty

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Arrietty »

We are selling my auntie's house at the moment (completing next week! ) and my last couple of jobs are to clear the garage and repair the lock and hoover throughout. It's the least you can do, surely?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I spent a whole day cleaning our old place after we moved out, and paid for a professional clean of the range cooker. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t.

I’m so glad you’re in your new homes now, finally!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

He even texted me to say the oven might smell funny due to the oven cleaner. It hadn’t been cleaned for months, if ever. Such a weird, specific lie.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

That's so weird, nine! When we moved here the woman made a huge song and dance about how clean it would be. It wasn't, and it somehow made it worse that she'd banged on about it so much.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Congratulations and I hope you all have many happy years in your new homes :love:

I once moved out of a furnished rental in a massive rush and felt a bit bad about not having done a good job cleaning - I vacuumed, dusted visible surfaces and did a normal clean of bathroom and kitchen, but not a proper deep clean at all. The agent contacted me afterwards to say how pleased they were that it was "sparkling clean" so I suppose their expectations are extremely low to start with.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Mayday wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 am That's so weird, nine! When we moved here the woman made a huge song and dance about how clean it would be. It wasn't, and it somehow made it worse that she'd banged on about it so much.
Same for our house. She made such a fuss and I had to scrub out pretty much everything and vacuum the stairs of all her manky witchy hair.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

nineseven wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:33 am The far end of the garden gets the sun all day and is quite secluded so I’m thinking about taking down that shed (its roof felt blew off in the gales and I have another shed thing anyway). I could then make a nice little terrace area. Obviously the patio near the house is fucked but I’m tearing down the lean-to anyway so that will all be changed.
Your new house looks like it has loads of potential. Congratulations!

The garden in our old house was north east facing and the patio was at the end. It was good because it was in the sun all day and not overlooked by anyone. Apparently, the previous owner used to sunbathe naked down there according to our next door neighbour. :mrgreen:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

nineseven wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am He even texted me to say the oven might smell funny due to the oven cleaner. It hadn’t been cleaned for months, if ever. Such a weird, specific lie.
Message him back and ask for the details of the cleaner he used so you can complain to the company.

People are so weird. Especially when it comes to moving house.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Edith Bacon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 am
nineseven wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am He even texted me to say the oven might smell funny due to the oven cleaner. It hadn’t been cleaned for months, if ever. Such a weird, specific lie.
Message him back and ask for the details of the cleaner he used so you can complain to the company.
You should totally do that :mog:

It looks lovely nine, I’m so happy for you!
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Congratulations, Nince! Your garden looks a lovely size and like it has loads of potential.

We are also in and getting settled. All the neighbours here have been so welcoming, some have put cards through and there’s a little boy across the road who Pete has been waving to from our bedroom window. :mrgreen: there’s so much to do to this house but we already feel very happily at home and I can’t believe how light and warm it is. Maggie is beside herself because the carpet feels really nice for her to walk on and she keeps following the sunbeams around and having little snoozes in each one.

I haven’t taken any photos yet but I will soon. The decor is hilarious but I am a bit in love with it all. I have two pink cherry blossom trees in the garden and they are my favourite things ever. :hbeat:
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

That all sounds so lovely, cluefree!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Following the sunbeams and little waving neighbours :love:

So jealous of your cherry blossoms, I love them too.

Happy settling in :perky:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Following the sunbeams and little waving neighbours :love:

So jealous of your cherry blossoms, I love them too 🌸🌸🌸

Happy settling in :perky:
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Thank you. :hbeat:

I will say that the carpeted bathroom is actively distressing, though. :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Cherry blossom. :love:

I will never understand why people carpet bathrooms.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

People ming. I know everyone has standards and some are lower than others but at least make an effort!

Nine your house looks fab and I'm glad you are settling in Cluef. Congratulations to you both!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Starry

Post by Starry »

People are disgusting.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Lovely to hear you're both in and getting settled. Manky house and all. Wishing you both years of happiness in your new abodes.

My first flat when Mini was a newborn was manky they hadn't even flushed the toilet and the kitchen cupboards didn't seem clean. It turns out I was just smearing years of grease around and I needed a wallpaper scraper to get it off.

In contrast moving to this house was a dream. Everything was spotless and they're so fastidious that in one of the dining room cupboards they had left a file of every appliance, chandelier, work order they'd had done on the house in the 12 years they'd owned. Every user manual and every receipt.
A bit unnecessary but welcome now that we've taken down the chandeliers and I've already sold two of them.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Starry

Post by Starry »

We’ve had our offer accepted. :weewee:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Hurrah! Congratulations starry! Is Ireland the same as Scotland for house buying?