House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

rosy

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by rosy »

Congratulations on exchange, Beena! Will the new house be warm?
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

For a short time, here is the house my eldest son just bought:

Snippity

He was supposed to get married yesterday so this should keep them busy until the rescheduled wedding!
Last edited by rosy on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Beena

Post by Beena »

rosy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:23 pm Congratulations on exchange, Beena! Will the new house be warm?
I flipping hope so. I can't feel the end of my nose today.

Look how huge that house is, rosy! Wow!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Hurrah Beena!!
Skips

Post by Skips »

That house is gorgeous rosy! And your son is about an hour away from my brother and crazy SIL
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Congratulations, Beena!
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

That's gorgeous Rosy. Congratulations Beena. We should be completing sometime this week and exchanging next Friday.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Gorgeous house, rosy!

Congratulations, Beena.

I hope it all goes through smoothly, Skips :fc: What work are you having done?
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Congratulations Beena! That must feel like such a relief. Are you packed and ready to go?
Beena

Post by Beena »

emma_p wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:19 pm Congratulations Beena! That must feel like such a relief. Are you packed and ready to go?
:lol: No, of course not. We gone so far as relocating our laptops from the small room we were using as an office to the dining room table - supposedly so we could use the 'office' to store packed boxes, but mainly as it's in the room with the log burner.

Bambs is in full A-Level coursework mode and it's a busy time for us work-wise. Moving this week on top of that might have actually tipped me over the edge. We're going to pay next month's rent, clean, decorate, shift our stuff slowly. It's literally around the corner so we can carry the sofas from one house to the next.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Fingers crossed, Speedy and Skips. What are your plans, Skips?
Skips

Post by Skips »

We need to replace the front door and windows in the porch (the windows are collapsing in on themselves, according to my neighbour they were starting to go and he added support to the porch but just propped the windows back up), replace the back door, two new flights of stairs (one down to where the bathroom/back door is and one up to the 1st floor), plastering of walls that still have artex on them, tiling and new flooring in kitchen, carpets on stairs, flooring in the front bedroom, new internal doors, patio replaced in back garden (it currently has a 1" step that is deadly), new loft hatch and flooring, try to make right the windows up there (they are wooden and leak) and if we have enough I'd like to make that an office space/study even if it's not an official room. We'll probably not have enough to pay someone else to decorate, but if we can get all that done it should be straight forward to finish off.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Blimey Skips that’s a renovation and a half!

Well done Beena (I think...)
speedy gonzalez

Not much then Skips!
Skips

Post by Skips »

Ha, that's not including the stuff we've done already, it was a proper project house but I've run out of steam, I think we bit off more than we could chew.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

But what will you do the weekend after, Skips? :))

Seriously, that’s a list and a half! I can imagine it will really transform your house though. Very exciting!
Skips

Post by Skips »

Sleep :lol:

And then decide that the living room needs redecorating; it was the first room we did so we have something nice to come in to.
speedy gonzalez

It was looking all good then Mr Speedy had an email from the solicitors yesterday just asking for some bank statements and proof of the inheritance to prove we weren't money laundering, Then they added oh and by the way your sellers solicitors still has a few queries on the new build and the developer wants to exchange on notice rather than give a fixed completion date. Odd because the seller is ready to move and all he says he was waiting on was one thing for the garage so he was all geared up for next Friday. His solicitors are saying nope to exchange on notice and they want a fixed completion date.
Mr Speedy is adamant that we're still moving next Friday and thinks that the solicitors could be acting on old information. He's already booked the removals as we had quite short notice and now he's thinking we're going to have to pay the full removal costs if we do cancel.
I'd already informed the energy, broadband companies and set up a redirect with Royal Mail again because we thought we were moving within two weeks. Not too concerned about this as guessing dates can be changed as this must happen.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Let’s hope it’s old information speedy. I really hope the removals company can give you some flexibility.

My solicitor called me asking if I knew why my vendors solicitor might be blanking him. I advised it’s probably because my vendor is still looking.

I think I’m going to call the ea on Monday for an update, esp to ask my vendors intention if they haven’t found something in a few weeks. I think I’ll carry on with my sale and be prepared to rent if I have to. I’m also going to postpone my survey if I can if my vendors are not engaged by the date of the survey (the wk starting the 11th Nov). I might actually start viewing again that weekend. Not to put pressure on my vendors, but it will then have been 7 weeks since they accepted my offer. Does that sound reasonable? I do think they are not overly fussed to move, so I don’t feel I can rely on them to be going all out.
Malan
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That sounds reasonable Marth. You’d think they’d be keen to not lose the sale and look at renting themselves, but if you’re not invested it might be the kick up the area they need.