House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

FiveO'Clock

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Lovely!
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

The garden is lovely Beena - I hope it isn’t too long before the house is too.

My parents scrimped and saved to buy their first house when I was a baby. When they moved in they found that, between them viewing it and moving in, the previous owners had decided to use my new bedroom as a pigeon loft.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

That will keep you busy, Beena! You'll have a collection of garden tools you never knew you needed in no time :lol: What a lovely spot.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

What a garden! And you'll transform the house too. A bit of cleaning first though, sadly.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Congratulations on finally getting in, Beena. I had a similar experience with this place being left filthy and full of junk (not sanitary towels though). They, via their solicitor, refused to pay for the cleaning as apparently they’re only obliged to hand over the property in the condition it was on the day of exchange. I don’t think they’d cleaned for months.
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

That garden is gorgeous Beena. Fingers crossed you'll get somewhere with the solicitor over the state it was left in.
Didn't hear anything back from the solicitor Friday but it seems to make sense that the information just hasn't filtered through to the solicitor. Otherwise he wouldn't have a date. Cheeky developers but apparently it's pretty standard that they don't give buyers of new builds dates until 7-14 days before. Removal people are fine with a change of date they said preferably they'd like at least 24 hours notice as would we!
Starry

Post by Starry »

That garden is lovely Beena! I’m sorry they left the place in such a state, it takes the shine off the move. Out lot were a bit odd too - they weren’t the cleanest, left us with a filthy oven, a half full fridge and freezer (all potato wedges and chips) and a garden full of dog mess. They were moving while we were sitting outside having got the keys hours before. We’ve since discovered they cut some corners (uncertified electrical work, dodgy drains and broken waste on the bath? No problem! Glue it. It It’ll hold for a couple of months until it finally gives way and leaks though the ceiling) but I still love the place.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Thanks everyone. I was gutted going round yesterday, but J is chipper this morning and between here and him, I'm feeling better about things. He's currently rooting around in the garage, digging out buckets and rubber gloves.

We're going to update the electrics in the bedrooms and get those rooms replastered, decorated and recarpeted before we move in. The rest will get disinfected, a coat of paint, a piece of lino for the kitchen. Then, once Bambs is off to Uni, I can get my sledgehammer out. :texas:
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Sorry it’s in such a state Beena, but glad you are finally in.

That’s a good idea about the bedroom - I always think I can live with lots of renovation as long as I have one nice room to relax in at the end of the day!
speedy gonzalez

Our solicitors are still trying to get in touch with our seller's solicitors to arrange the exchange date. Our solicitors have confirmed that's they're happy with everyone's paperwork and can't see any reason why we can't move on the 30th especially knowing our seller wants the 30th.
Spent yesterday evening boxing up glasses and mugs which seemed to take forever.
Really hoping that we hear something today. I run my department pretty much by myself so I've made arrangements for the week I'm off but can't release any publicity until I know what's happening.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Any news, Speedy? All the waiting must be so frustrating!

Right, I'm not going on, but how long did it take your vendor to find somewhere to offer on ?(if they were looking). I'm gearing up to start looking again in two weeks but I want to know if I'm being too impatient. It will then be 7 weeks and zero Comms.
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

7 weeks feels like kind of a long time without any communication. I think we had about three weeks between accepting an offer and having ours accepted and we did so many viewings and offered on two houses. That felt like kind of a long time and like the pressure was on for us. They were first time buyers and had already asked if we’d live into rented accommodation by then (we said no but then ended up doing it because of complications late on).

Do you know what the market’s like where they’re looking? I get the feeling the market might be slowing after going crazy over the summer but I could be wrong.
Marth

Post by Marth »

emma_p wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:27 pm 7 weeks feels like kind of a long time without any communication. I think we had about three weeks between accepting an offer and having ours accepted and we did so many viewings and offered on two houses. That felt like kind of a long time and like the pressure was on for us. They were first time buyers and had already asked if we’d live into rented accommodation by then (we said no but then ended up doing it because of complications late on).

Do you know what the market’s like where they’re looking? I get the feeling the market might be slowing after going crazy over the summer but I could be wrong.
Thanks Emma. It's good to have some experiences. It definitely is slowing, even though the services are still snowed under due to lack of staff/demand etc.

My problem is I really want this house and there isn't much coming on I am interested in.
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Yes, we were the same. There wasn’t a lot on the market when we were looking in summer 2019 and I was desperate to buy the house we’re now in. Which is why we ended up exchanging with our buyers and ended up renting while our vendors found another house while they found another house when their original house fell through.

I think it’s totally ok to ask for an update.
Marth

Post by Marth »

My vendors? I don't know anything really. I have asked the EA to have a chat with them to get some sort of update, but they seemed completely disinterested.
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

After nearly two months? I'd be kicking and screaming to know what the hell was going on.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Marth wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:32 pm My problem is I really want this house and there isn't much coming on I am interested in.
I expect this is their issue, too. My friend sold her house about six weeks before you offered and still can't find anything. You'd think they'd keep you informed though.

In completely unrelated news, I had a call from our solicitor last week to tell me our paperwork had got lost in the post. Which is when I realised that neither my sister nor I had filled it in :uhh:
speedy gonzalez

We found ours after about a couple of weeks of accepting an offer for our house but this was early summer. I think things tend to quieten down this time of year anyhow but no harm in asking for an update.
We are still waiting to exchange! All the solicitors are happy with the paperwork and they've made contact with each other again now. Just something about the builder signing off the build. I'll be so relieved when we do exchange as at the moment I don't know what to do about updating the energy company, BT and Royal Mail because yes the completion date could change but then again it may not. I've already informed them about the moving on the 30th. Might suggest Mr Speedy sends our seller a text along the lines of how's it going with you. He texted us the completion date and whether we were happy with a Friday so can't see any issue texting him back.
Lora :lol:
eta - Mr Speedy texted him and it was signed off last week!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

In your situation, Marth, I think I'd be viewing other properties with a view to pulling out of the current one when you find an alternative. Seven weeks without contact is unacceptable.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Loralei wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Marth wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:32 pm My problem is I really want this house and there isn't much coming on I am interested in.
I expect this is their issue, too. My friend sold her house about six weeks before you offered and still can't find anything. You'd think they'd keep you informed though.
Yes, definitely will be their issue I suspect. How is your friend dealing with their buyer? (if they have one)

I'm not opposed to waiting, if I knew their plans/that they were really looking etc. I just want an update. (and that should be coming from the EA I think)

Nine - it's not 7 weeks yet. It will be by the date my survey is booked for. I'm going to start looking after this weekend, with a view of popping up (down, across?) towards the end of next week. It's a lot of train fare money to make multiple journeys though, especially where there isn't much to view each time.
Malan