House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Starry

Re: House Buying Is More Stressful Than Divorce, Death or Bankruptcy

Post by Starry »

I am about two emails away from a breakdown. Last week, the agent was on to us to see what the hold up was as the woman we are buying from told him the delay was our end, that we had a problem with a door. News to us, we are ready to go, our buyer is ready to go. This week, the agent rang because apparently our seller's solicitor has now told her the delay is because we have a problem with our buyer. We don't. Our buyer is still ready to go.
On top of that, the reason they haven't closed on their property - which is the hold up, by the way - is because there's an outstanding management fee on the property and they are debating who pays. Someone needs to pay or get out of my house.
rosy

Post by rosy »

How ridiculous, Starry! The whole system seems broken.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Bloody hell Starry. Have they managed to get their act together yet?

No movement here. Just spoke to the EA and the issue with the lease and access is a dealbreaker so if it can't be resolved then the chain is going to collapse. I haven't heard back from the guy who I contacted about it, I spoke to his boss on Wednesday and she said she'd chase it too but nothing. It might actually be the case that my employer causes it all to go tits up. I think I'd have to start burning things at that point.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I have everything crossed for you Chicky!
Starry

Post by Starry »

Hopefully it gets sorted Chicky!

Apparently our vendors are signing on Monday.
speedy gonzalez

Post by speedy gonzalez »

Fingers crossed it gets sorted.
We went to do an external viewing of a house yesterday and we're waiting to see if we're allowed a viewing! Has everything we want. Looks like a nice size garden and has a garage, cloakroom etc. Mr Speedy is excited about the workshop! It's towards the top end of our budget but apart from some floral wallpaper looks like it doesn't need much doing to it. Some of the paint colours are quite bright but I actually like them.
It's off a side road and in a tiny close of about six houses. Does back onto a care home and a admin/transport base for the council care company but woods and shops are about five minutes walk away.
speedy gonzalez

Yay. Viewing on Monday after work and ours is going on the market Tues/Weds.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

:fc:

Timing is so hard. I remember last time saying we were going to hold out for exactly what we wanted, whereas what you actually end up doing is buying the best available in the timescale you have.

We had some success with leafleting, for the record. We had already offered on our current house by the time we got a couple of leads but if we'd had time to wait it might well have panned out.
speedy gonzalez

Yes - we think this is the closest we're going to with the added bonus of a workshop! It looks a bit odd as you come up to the house as one of the council care company's structures overlooks the garage but because of the way the house is angled away from the garage it doesn't look as visible when you're in the house or garden. Judging by the photos anyhow.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Good luck!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
speedy gonzalez

We've threatened Mr Speedy's mum that if we get it and she starts playing up we'll catapult her over the fence to the care home!
speedy gonzalez

Not any good unfortunately. Teeny bathroom and needed new hot water system.
Estate agent has been round ours this evening and photographer is coming round on Thursday afternoon to do photos and they're also doing some kind of 360 degree online viewing thing. Does mean there will be no hiding place for tat so will just have to move stuff from room to room while that's being done!
We're also recruiting our old posties to keep and ear and eye out for us!
Starry

Post by Starry »

Disappointing speedy!

We had a 360 tour done of our house, and the house we are buying had one too. They tend to make things look a bit smaller, so clear as much as possible from the rooms to make it look roomy.
speedy gonzalez

Yes, the estate agent advised us to try and clear as much from the sides as possible even if it's just a case of ramming stuff in a cupboard or moving stuff from room to room while the photographer is doing his stuff. Kitchen shouldn't take too much clearing, lounge isn't too bad even though it's being used as my office as well at the moment. Might stick my ginormous office chair out on the decking when he takes the lounge photo though. The spare bedroom we use as a store-room and also Mr Speedy's office when he works from home so that's more of a challenge. Bathroom okay. My side of the bedroom okay but Mr Speedy just needs to tidy his side. Furniture will have to stay where is is.
Quite used to seeing real-life rooms looking quite different from estate agents photo's especially spare rooms so as a viewer that doesn't concern me!
Having looked at the videos on their site they don't seem as though they're totally 360 - more of a pan up and down, unless we're going to be the first to have a 360.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Good luck, Speedy!
speedy gonzalez

Thanks Tsu. I think we might need it!
speedy gonzalez

Found another potential. It was one we'd originally written off as being too close to the main road. However, it looks as though there were two houses for sale down that road only one of which had a for sale sign. So having a view of that after work.
Not in no.1 location but just across the road from it and has all of our wants. Just depends if it's far enough down the road still. Mr Speedy is used to living in quiet locations and also Rufus who would probably try and hold cars up!
speedy gonzalez

Finally, we've seen a lovely house. Mr Speedy still wants one in no.1 location and I think we need to see something there just to have something to compare it to. I think in terms of actual house rather than location this one would be hard to beat.
Beena

Post by Beena »

It's reassuring when you find something you like, Speedy. Hopefully something good in the right location will come up soon.

We've hit a bump. Our lender has devalued the property we've offered on; it's not a huge amount and not a deal breaker as we could cover the shortfall from savings, but it's enough to make us (me) wonder if we're being taken for a ride. The valuation has come in close to what I'd originally wanted to offer, before J panicked and talked us up. And then the agent did her work and talked J up some more. It's in line with the selling price of similar property and with what the property was marketed for 18 months ago (wonders of the internet - I found a pdf of the particulars, but it looks as if it was taken off the market as soon as it went on).

We've suggested splitting the difference; the vendor has offered a token reduction, as they can't afford to move up if they drop any lower. The agent has been quite open that they're selling to move to a particular property and they need to sell for x price to finance it. It has nothing to do with what their house is actually worth. Normally I'd be all indignant rage, but I'm just so weary of this whole process.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Well, the house is worth what someone will pay for it. I suppose it depends how much the difference is and whether it's worth that to you not to have to start the process again. FFS, though.