Choose my house

olive
Really Creepy

Choose my house

Post by olive »

Right, so I have three contenders now for our rental and I’m flip flopping between them all.

It’s a lovely problem to have but I need to make a decision now before we end up losing one.

House 1: really really lovely. Newly refurbed to a high finish, 4 bedrooms, massive eat in kitchen, brilliant layout with an unfinished basement. Closest to school (10-15 mins) and Mr O’s work (25-30 mins). 2 bedrooms have jack and Jill bathroom and guest room has its own ensuite for perfect for visitors.
Cons: very small community so limited potential to make friends, no swim/ tennis and not really close to a gym or club.

House 2: gorgeous and has the wow factor. 4 bedrooms plus office (off the master bedroom), 2 bedrooms share a jack and Jill bathroom and guest bedroom has ensuite, unfinished basement, big eat in kitchen, part of a huge swim/ tennis community. One of the tennis courts is opposite the house with a small football field behind tennis court. Big double height windows in kitchen/ living area.
Cons: furthest from school (20 mins) and Mr O’s work (40-45 mins). Downstairs has 2 reception rooms, 1 either side of the front door and no hallway so the door opens straight into this space.

House 3: is stunning. Amazing double height arched windows that look over the garden. 5 bedrooms, 4 upstairs, master has ensuite, guest bedroom doesn’t have own bathroom and no jack and Jill for the bathroom that boys will share (not a dealbreaker). Downstairs has a guest bedroom with full bathroom right next door, lovely entry hallway, walk in pantry, one reception room is off the kitchen so is obvious dining room. Location is much better than house 2 as it’s closer to main roads for school(15 mins) / work (35 mins) and has lots of shops and restaurants nearby.
Cons: no basement (not a dealbreaker as there is a double garage, and lots of storage, layout of others is better, small community with no swim tennis. We get slightly less space for our money but is still huge.
C13052D4-2FEF-43F0-87FA-058332185518.jpeg
44E22FD1-C0F9-4FB0-8BA7-CA75D8C44B01.jpeg
EA91383D-876A-46F8-9730-B18ED8487DBD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by olive on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicky

Re: Choose my house

Post by Chicky »

I think if swimming/tennis is important and something you’ll spend time doing then go house 2. Otherwise, house 1. I don’t know the US at all but is there much of a community feel anyway? Or would you likely drive in any case?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

That's difficult. You're basically deciding between a commute and a community. Which is more important to you all?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I will pretty drive everywhere as the streets literally aren’t geared up for pedestrians. Trying the cross the road is a nightmare and sometimes the pavement literally stops so you have to walk on the roadside which is fun. :twitch:

I like the idea of swim tennis as selfishly it means I don’t have to join the boys up to the gym and I can join the local women’s studio I have found.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Cosmopolitan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 pm That's difficult. You're basically deciding between a commute and a community. Which is more important to you all?
I don’t know. :panic: I don’t want to rely on just having school parents/ kids as friends so a big active community would be good for play dates and sociable neighbours. On the other hand Atlanta is notorious for bad traffic and I don’t want Mr O stuck in the car all evening. Plus school starts at 8am here so our day overall starts a lot earlier than in the U.K which we’re struggling with a bit.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

After considering it, In your shoes, I'd probably go for house 2. Both you and Mr O are used to commuting in London and I bet he works different hours so could probably avoid rush hour traffic but I think that given that you're not working and you have boys that require regular exercising I think you should make it as easy as possible to do those.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Can he cycle at all? I hear there are more options for that now in lots of American cities?
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Number 2. The layout sounds like my home in Texas and I loved it. And it looks so pretty.

A pool is very important. Long, hot summer days are hard, they can't run around the garden etc. Plus it's so easy for play dates. It's the only thing I truly miss about overseas.

The driving is a thing. We were in temp accommodation when L was 4, wasn't in school yet and I put him in the buggy and walked half a mile to the strip mall. Everyone stared and a police car pulled over to ask if I was okay. Nobody walks, too hot and they didn't plan for it.

The only thing I would say is get up early on Monday and both do your drives from that point at that time. And ask people you've met for routes, there's often a back way/shortcut. I shaved 20 minutes off ours when the neighbour casually mentioned it a year in.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

He can’t cycle along the highway and using the actual cycle path would take over an and half itself so not really an option. Public transport would take about this long too as trains are less frequent.

We could live closer to his work but it’s not the most family friendly area and I love the feel of the neighbourhood we’re in.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

And the early starts? Yah. L used to leave at 6.45 in Houston, in SG we were in the car for 7.45. Ted leaves at 8.20 now and I have no idea how we did it but you do get used to it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Two.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Will Mr O be travelling much? In the summer hols we would community pool and a picnic or club and a hotdog/pizza. Long days otherwise. You can't travel for the whole two months but having a "we will go at 2pm" really helped.
Jet

Post by Jet »

I vote 2. It looks lovely.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

I vote 2 as well.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Hannieroo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm The driving is a thing. We were in temp accommodation when L was 4, wasn't in school yet and I put him in the buggy and walked half a mile to the strip mall. Everyone stared and a police car pulled over to ask if I was okay. Nobody walks, too hot and they didn't plan for it.
:mog: I can totally imagine this happening! The boys and I walked the cinema back in July and people were actually slowing down to look at us as they drove past. I can only imagine the anecdotes about the Arab/ Mexican looking woman and her 2 children walking in the July heat at midday.

Thankfully Mr O won’t be travelling anymore and the thought of taking the boys for a quick swim after a school day before dinner is very tempting.

No- one keen on house 3? It’s my absolute favourite inside. This is the family room off the kitchen;
2DDEE343-89C6-4003-A6B4-A99A48CB6242.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

I was originally going to vote for 3 but you and Hannie have sold the whole pool / tennis thing.

That room though :love:
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Are you taking it furnished? What do the other sitting rooms look like?

For me, the exceptionally pretty houses that didn't have ease ended up horrid. It's not pretty when it's trashed by bored children. I frequently took L and then T&L to the pool from school. Everyone does, the kids make friends and you do.

Are the subdivision fees for house 2 included in the rent? Also 2 has the most high maintenance garden so have you factored in gardeners if you are self pay (committee people do actually measure the grass) because it's the most high maintenance.

Plus. I'm sure it's changed but we didn't realise all bills were monthly so only realised when they shut our water off after 3 months because we expected a quarterly bill and there was not an online option.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

All those windows will cost you a fortune in ac in summer.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Arab/Mexican! She must be illegal with no car! We need a wall.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Definitely two. All the houses sound really nice, but the location of that one sounds far better, especially as the differences between the commutes isn't much at all - 10 or 20 minutes.

HOWEVER, you coming back and saying 'No-one thinks house 3?' makes me think your heart lies there - whether that's the right reason to make a decision or not, I don't know.