Rattus Rattus

smalex

Re: Rattus Rattus

Post by smalex »

Foxes are such knobheads they'd give the rat a helping hand just to spite you.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I think you're right, smal. The last time I was on fox shit duty I collected seven different piles of it. This is a daily activity so that wasn't like a week's worth or anything. I'm so fed up with it.

There is no sorting out to be done, unfortunately. The old couple who live three houses up consider them pets and feed them. They've done it for years and despite loads of complaints* they won't be stopped.

*not just about the foxes. They put food in their front garden too which also causes problems with the neighbourhood cats.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I read that as the old couple were feeding the rats at first, Toast. :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

smalex wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm Foxes are such knobheads they'd give the rat a helping hand just to spite you.
You’ve changed your tune! :mog: Oh look! Cute fox cubs! :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Cerise wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:56 pm
smalex wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm Foxes are such knobheads they'd give the rat a helping hand just to spite you.
You’ve changed your tune! :mog: Oh look! Cute fox cubs! :))
:mog: I realised you were right within a day and a half (literally).
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Zoomer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:56 pm I read that as the old couple were feeding the rats at first, Toast. :))
It's quite possible that they are!
Little My

Post by Little My »

I think I know where I'd be storing the fox poop bin..
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Cerise wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:59 pm My private chap was cheaper than the council’s proposed price when I had a wasp’s nest and a possible rat/squirrel in the loft.
I’m surprised! It’s about £200 more than the council here.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I never even thought about going the council route. My council isn't really known for its efficiency :))
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Wandsworth is really only known for efficacious traffic wardens.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We used the council service; they outsource to a private company & subsidise their rates.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

There appears to be a rat problem at my mum’s. So far they’ve only been detected in the outside manhole and next door’s shed but obv we want to stop them. The neighbour has had someone in who has quoted ~£600 to do the work (digging out, cement work plus supply and install rat walls). Does that sound reasonable? I have been sent some photos but not being on site I’m not really clear on the scale of the job.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Christ. I would just ring the council. I sort of assume they always under the manhole covers.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

A quick look on the council website suggests they will charge me £129 to turn up and put down bait and let me know if I need to get any holes blocked.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

If your neighbour will go halves I would 100% go with it!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm not sure I'd spend lots of money if they're just in a shed next door and manhole. Like ruby I'd assume they'd often be in those sorts of places. I'd let the neighbour crack on if they think it needs doing though. :look:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

FML I have joined this hideous club.

Since I moved back in I have been hearing scuttling in the walls. At first I thought I was imagining it but had to accept I wasn't and got pest control out. He can't get under my floor due to my flooring but laid bags of bait in the loft (I have sealed off areas with doors at the sides). Today I checked up there and it has taken one of the bait bags. He says that as it's a terrace all our foundations will be linked so I have contacted the neighbours.

When I texted the moronic mouth-breathing tenants next door who said they'd seen a "mouse" twice in their house but hadn't thought any more of it as it "ran away"! My pest man said it's likely to be a young rat so I have informed their landlord who is horrified and getting pest control out asap.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Oh lord, Nine. I've just had a massive rat hole and tunnel in my yard. I'm hoping they have now gone but I'm still not over it. (Scout killed and brought in a rat)
Malan
Little My

Post by Little My »

Cripes, a rat is a big kill. One of my cats went on a mole massacring rampage last night and has left four of them out for me. (The moles don't come inside the house to my knowledge, but it's handy to keep their numbers low outside sadly. I know that sounds awful.)

Sorry about joining this hideous club, nine. :lol: At least it's not rats.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Little My wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Sorry about joining this hideous club, nine. :lol: At least it's not rats.
It is rats!

Turns out the neighbours on the other side (who I suspect have a rats' nest under their decking as foxes and cats keep stalking it from my side) have found droppings in their kitchen and STILL haven't got pest control out. Why am I the only adult here?!