Extension plans

smalex

Re: Extension plans

Post by smalex »

My sister has dark blue in her new kitchen-
20200124_104853.jpg
20200124_104750.jpg
It looks brilliant, but the matt dark blue finish does show marks very easily (finger prints etc). She does have two small children though which doesn't help.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That’s a gorgeous kitchen, Smalex! A kitchen extension is so exciting.

We had a bit of dark blue in our kitchen and I wish we had more.

A friend of mine has an area in her utility where she can hang shirts to dry on hangers which I love.

I’m a fan of massive drawers, as much closed storage as you can manage and sockets everywhere including the island (if you have one). We also opted for soft closing doors for the kitchen cupboards as Mr O is a door slammer and I’m not a fan of handles.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I definitely think we’ve reached peak dark blue kitchens :))

I very much agree about the self-cleaning oven. I really really miss having one! I don’t think the previous owners ever cleaned theirs since they renovated and it took me a WHOLE DAY to sort it out :cry:

I agree about having enough sockets and USB ports esp on the island. There aren’t enough in my new kitchen and I’ve had to set up a separate coffee station to be able to plug the coffee machine in.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

That is gorgeous, Smal!

I do like dark blue but also like dark grey and am tempted by that. I will definitely opt for soft close doors too.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Post by smalex »

You're going to have the kitchen at least 10yrs, so ultimately whatever you chose style-wise is going to date, it's kind of inevitable, so sod it, get what you like and don't worry about it.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I was just saying today that I thought double ovens / two ovens was something people think they want, then only use once a year, so am surprised so many people recommend them on here :puzz: Do you all do a lot of entertaining, or just oven-cook two things for the same meal more frequently?

I would always have a microwave as well as a conventional oven though. Our microwave technically does some kind of grill function too but I never use that.

How do proving drawers work? I'd not use it for bread much, but would love to have good plate warming facilities! Here in the winter I stick the plates awkwardly on the radiator by the dining table while I'm cooking, but obvs if the heating's not on it's useless. I think having warm plates makes a massive difference to a lovely dinner. Your sister's kitchen is beautiful, smal!
smalex

Post by smalex »

We don't entertain particularly often so the micro/combi is used as a microwave the vast majority of the time, but it is really useful when we do cater for more people.

I've not used a proving drawer but I think my sister uses hers much for often for warming plates.
sally maclennane

I definitely don't entertain much but I do cook a lot of stuff in the oven, and often want to cook things at different temperatures which is why I want more than one oven.

That's a very good point Smal about everything dating but I did feel that when I did my bathroom 3 years ago, I just "caught" the end of a trend for a particular style and although its still lovely, and is a massive improvement, it is now a little dated.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

This is going to look so good! I am VERY excited for you. I love dark blue for units.

Also, I insist you entertain me when it's all done. I will provide the cocktails. :))
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I'm excited too! I would love to be planning a new kitchen and utility room.

There is a lot that could be improved in my kitchen but one thing I'd definitely have is a sparkling water tap. Not a priority if you don't drink a lot of sparkling water though.

Another thing is I have a complete lack of window sills so I've fashioned some out of shelves but that would be something I'd definitely want.

Something else I've been seeing a lot of lately are those deep shelves with doors that can be fully opened up and hidden for things like your kettle, toaster, etc. I'm a big fan of only having the essentials out on the counter and while I do have those things on my counter tops, I'd like to be able to hide them away.

Which has just made me think of those cupboards/drawer arrangements where you can easily access things like a food processor or a stand mixer. I don't use mine very often at all but I think it I could get to them more easily then I might do.

Oh, another thing! A dedicated space for baking trays, roasting dishes, etc. that means I don't store them in the oven and have to move them every time I use the oven. I've just moved some things around in my kitchen to make a space in one of the cupboards for these and I've really appreciated it.

Do you use anything like an Echo or Google Home? I'd like a dedicated area for those along with somewhere to charge my 'phone - possibly integrated but that's a wild dream (for me, anyway).
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

We have only entertained a few times since we moved in at the end of Feb but I have definitely made use of the multiple ovens on the inherited rangemaster (thank fuck they included it for free in the end, I would have been SO ANGRY about paying nearly a grand for a filthy second hand one) Cooking things at different temps like roasting meat and wanting to make a cake for dessert at the same time. Or slow cooking something and wanting to make roast potatoes at a higher temp. It is very useful! Although I haven't used the grill and the warming oven at all. Apart from cleaning them :ella:
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I think I would go for wooden doors rather than the ones we have which are wrapped. I also wish we had gone for an IKEA kitchen as the top cupboards are taller than the ones we have. I'd definitely also have the dishwasher in the kitchen rather than the utility room.

Definintely go for a 5 or 6 ring hob but make sure that if you use a pan in the middle, that you can still get pans on the other rings without having to shuffle them about!

I'm glad it's not just me who hates larder units but ours was a 500mm wide door which was just clunky and heavy. I much prefer what I have now and can store so much more in the same space.

It all sounds very exciting!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
sally maclennane

Shoe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:20 pm This is going to look so good! I am VERY excited for you. I love dark blue for units.

Also, I insist you entertain me when it's all done. I will provide the cocktails. :))
Of course I will, we can sit at the island and drink cocktails :love:
sally maclennane

Thank you for all the suggestions, I am going to keep a note of all this.

Bramble, that is a good point about the hob, I'll remember that when we get to that point.

Toast, I definitely want somewhere to store roasting tins that isn't the oven! I don't mind things like kettle and toasters on the worktop, I am going to buy new ones so they should be nice to look at.

It'll be ages before I get it started I think, the architect is now doing the warrant drawings then I would normally get builders out for a quote but obviously that can't happen yet. I am hoping that builders will be keen to get work once the lockdown is over :look:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Won't they quote off plan?
sally maclennane

smalex wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:53 pm Won't they quote off plan?
I don't know, I just assumed they'd want to come out to see but maybe not, and it is a pretty standard extension for round here.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'd try a few, I mean obviously ideally I'd like to go to give quotes but I'm finding ways and means to do it otherwise (well, for the 2 or 3 enquiries I've had!) so sort of assume builders might be too. They might caveat it a bit more but you'd probably get some to give you some ideas of costs (so you perhaps could narrow it down to a couple who seem keen and could come and give a final quote when restrictions allow?)
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 pm
Shoe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:20 pm This is going to look so good! I am VERY excited for you. I love dark blue for units.

Of course I will, we can sit at the island and drink cocktails :love:
I'm looking forward to it already. :love:
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

bramblerose wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:32 pm I also wish we had gone for an IKEA kitchen as the top cupboards are taller than the ones we have.
If you’re having wall cupboards see if it’s possible to have them to the ceiling. We have a gap at the top of ours, and although it’s useful storage space it is filthy and tricky to clean and so stays filthy.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I have a double oven. It only ever gets used once a year when I grill bacon and oven sausages at the same time for a cooked breakfast.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.