Extension plans

sally maclennane

Re: Extension plans

Post by sally maclennane »

It does not :)) I have had no kitchen for 3 weeks but at least we have a sink in the utility room now so no more washing dishes in the bath.

They started in late September so its been about 7 weeks now.

Here is the utility room (glorified cupboard)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
sally maclennane

You can see that we will have to stack the tumble dryer on top of the washing machine because the architect didn't point out that adding the door in meant less space for appliances. The door out to the side was added in after the initial plans were drawn up, thats where the sink should have been originally.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
viggy

Post by viggy »

It's all so exciting Sal! What a lovely space you'll have to enjoy this winter :love:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:39 amI have had no kitchen for 3 weeks but at least we have a sink in the utility room now so no more washing dishes in the bath.
Aaah, I remember this exact phase :))
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Your utility room looks like pretty much the same arrangement that I have with the stacked appliances next to the sink.
sally maclennane

Squirrel wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 am Your utility room looks like pretty much the same arrangement that I have with the stacked appliances next to the sink.
Is it ok having them stacked? Obviously i should have figured this out too but I do feel the architect could have pointed it out! Looking back, I don't think he was a great choice but hey ho, its done now.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It’s fine, I chose to have mine like that as it was the only way to fit separate machines in, which was my preference.

Apart from it generally not being what you wanted - presumably you’re losing worktop space, is there anything particular that you’re worried about?

I’d love some worktop space for folding but the room just isn’t big enough so I do it elsewhere which is no biggie really.

This is a very old photo to give you an idea.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I realise it’s not exactly a thing of beauty :lol: but the utility room is behind a door (the dog no longer lives in there) and it’s just functional and a through route to the garden so I’m not fussed what it looks like. Sorry I’ve probably put you off with my horrible photo :lol:.
sally maclennane

Yes, its lack of worktop space but it'll be fine, as you say you just do that elsewhere. Your pic is not horrible, I love your Belfast sink!

I feel mine would be improved 385% by having a Teddy in it :love:
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

A utility room! You look like you're going to have so much space. I'm looking forward to seeing it all finished.

Have you seen those chopping boards they use a lot in Japanese kitchens/small spaces that fit into the space where the sink is? I don't know if it would be a faff but it would give you some bench additional space, if it worked.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I think our old IKEA kitchen had one that fitted over the sink. We had barely any worktop so it was useful.

I have stacked washer/dryer in the laundry. No workspace but lots of storage. It’s upstairs though so I use it like airing cupboard and keep all the sheets, towels etc in there. I have a shelf for the detergent, etc. I bought a hook so we can hang the ironing board and iron but haven’t got round to fixing it to the wall yet.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I totally wanted an upstairs laundry cupboard, emma, but was totally unable to persuade Mr L that it was a good idea. :cry:

Stacked appliances are really common in Australia and New Zealand, Sally, you can even get driers specially built with heir control panel at the bottom to facilitate this. Which leads me onto a tip - check you can reach the dryer controls! :))
sally maclennane

That is a very good point about the control as I am only 5ft 2 :lol:

I think upstairs laundry rooms are a great idea!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Emma your laundry room sounds perfect.
Livilla wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 pm you can even get driers specially built with heir control panel at the bottom to facilitate this.
That is such a good idea!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

It's going to look so good!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
sally maclennane

I need your help, turtles! So this is the part of the kitchen, where the sink will be. It'll be under those cupboards. The builder texted last night and said he knows a good tiler who has had a cancellation and therefore is available at short notice. All good except I haven't chosen any tiles for the splashback area. I've tried looking but nothjng grabs me and I have found it really hard to decide as the kitchen isn't yet fitted and the worktops won't be put on until later this week. The tiler can only do next Monday and Tuesday so realistically I need to choose the tiles in the next day or two, and hope they are in stock. Im worried about choosing tiles, having them fitted and then hating them. Its not easy to change tiles, it's not like painting a wall!

Alternatively I could leave it and choose tiles later, once everything is in but I'd then have to get a tiler myself and pay for it, as the builder won't come back later to do it.

I hate this kind of thing, I really wish I was someone who enjoyed picking stuff for houses but I just don't have a good eye for this stuff. I get really bored of looking at pictures, it all starts to look the same to me,and I get paralysed by choice. I know this is very first world problems but I have total decision fatigue :emme:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glint

Post by Glint »

I'd be tempted for a pop of colour, but as you've said it will depend on whats available at short notice. Another option would be white tiles and then tile paint at a later date?

Or, you could get a panel (Tex and Pip possibly have this, if I remember). But that would probably have to be installed at a later date.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I would go for something quite neutral so you can do what you want with colours later. Like a grey metro?
sally maclennane

Princess Morripov wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:24 pm I would go for something quite neutral so you can do what you want with colours later. Like a grey metro?
Everything else is grey though, the base units are charcoal, the worktop is light grey quartz, the wall units are dove grey.
sally maclennane

I wondered about white metro tiles with dark grey grout.