Candles

Derek Nimmo

Re: Candles

Post by Derek Nimmo »

TWC Winter one is the only one of their range I like.

In my ongoing quest for the perfect Fireside smelling candle that isn't Feu du Bois, I stumbled on a company called Illumens and they have a few that might fit your brief. I'm currently burning "charcoal" which really isn't far off its rather lyrical description :lol:
In the woods above Valloires charcoal burners used to prepare fuel for the fires of the Abbaye. This delicious fragrance has notes note only of those fires but also fresher notes of the leaves of the surrounding trees and the fresh felled wood.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek, these are American candles but I saw this and thought of you. It might be possible to buy some of these over here?

https://thestripe.com/my-favorite-candles-2/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smalex

Post by smalex »

The nutmeg and cinnamon might fit the bill. The names are quite...er...evocative? Horse's neck leaves me with many questions though.

Thanks all. I'm a bit overwhelmed with suggestions now :lol:, specially as SM is bombarding me with advertising for candles now too.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

FiveO'Clock wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:45 pm I don't know anything about candles and only have become interested in them this year. Is anyone familiar with our Bath and Body Works candles? I'm assuming because they're not expensive, that they're not nice either.
I absolutely love them! I am on a UK page where people sell them for £22 a pop plus delivery (mostly cabin crew, I think). I love the labels and the constantly changing range of scents. They have pumpkin everything!

I would give anything for ten minutes in a BBW store. :lol: I think Goose Creek are the same company and they have a European website which is much more reasonably priced for us in the UK.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Liberty sells DS & Durga. I love their Big Sur one.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Marmalade of London are fab. Great throw and last ages and huge selection.
I’m currently burning a St Eval tea light of Winter Thyme and it’s so good. They do pillar versions of it.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Good to know, thanks Dande!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Thanks guys - I'd spotted DS & Durga at Liberty but it's also £££s. The Nest one might be worth a try though :puzz:
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I was very excited to see Aesop has just released a range of candles :weewee: and then I saw they are $110 each :woteva:
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've ignored all your excellent suggestions* and bought a large 'last light' and a medium 'half light' from this company https://www.thebotanicalcandleco.co.uk/

* I always feel quite guilty when I do this.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

For the same price of one Aesop candle I’ve ordered three candles from a US shop called Wary Meyers. The Xanadu one is my favourite wintery smell and it’s a seasonal release so I’m glad for this thread reminding me to check that it was available. This is the description: Anise, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg dance in a glittering discothèque of snow-white woods and glowing amber.

I also got one called Primeval Forest (woody/pine/moss) and Mainely Manly which is supposedly smoky. Those are blind orders so I’m hoping they’re as good as Xanadu.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Those look nice, smal. Let us know what they’re like.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

They do - if they're good, I might give tinderbox a go.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Those sound really lovely Epp! I'll see if they ship to the UK.

I recommended Waxify on the other thread and stand by that: their Halloween fragrances are just perfect. I went off candles for a while for environmental reasons but ... Well, I'm selfish.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Post by smalex »

My candles came and they smell very nice! I haven't burnt them yet though. It came nicely packaged, and with a free green fig wax melt which also smells lovely.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Anyone tried candles by Parks London?
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I know you have your candle now but I'm posting to share that I bought a crackling sick (autocorrect :lol: ) candle from Aldi this morning and it's fantastic. It's exactly like the woodwick fireside one, but a third of the price. And has the same lovely strong scent - I thought being so much cheaper it might not be great but it's scenting my open plan living area within minutes of lighting it, which is why I like the woodwick ones.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh thats good to know Heebs. I'll look out for one next time I'm in a branch
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I'm going back tomorrow for more.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

lazzbo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:28 pm Anyone tried candles by Parks London?
I got one from TKMAXX and wasn't that impressed. It didn't smell very strongly.