Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

Edith Bacon

Re: Gas Prices, Supply Issues and Collapsing Suppliers

Post by Edith Bacon »

Anyone looking for a low energy alternative to ovens might want to consider the Remoska. I’ve had one for about fifteen years.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/remos ... CH:remoska

I have the Grand size and it easily has room for the four of us. It can also be partitioned off by using smaller tins, foil trays or parcels inside. It bakes cakes, breads, scones, it roasts the best chicken I ever had, does curries, rice, risottos and loads of other things. There is a really useful Facebook page where fanatics like me share tips and answer questions.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

rosy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:08 pm Good to see you, George!

I have used my oven only twice since getting an instant pot duo, and the only thing I use the hob for is boiling eggs.
I boil eggs in mine too! 125 degrees C for 8 minutes gives the PERFECT soft boiled egg.

I had to roast a load of tomatoes in 2 separate batches last week, but as Del says it heats up so quickly, and gets hotter, that I had it on a lower setting and for much less time than a standard oven.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks, Derek. I'm trying to work out how useful it would be for us, which is probably based around how often we'd be cooking for all of us Vs only using a bit of the oven. I guess even for family meals there's times when we'd just be putting the oven on for garlic bread to go with pasta etc.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

And just spread even more cheer....
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-30 at 8.41.30 AM.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

That's sad. So many business will end up closing, especially with them not even being covered by the price cap (as horrific as the cap increases are likely to be).
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

My hairdresser was saying that her electricity costs have tripled already and that's before the real rises kick in.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, we are on the brink of real collapse as not that many small businesses can survive (surely only by massively hiking their prices, and no-one has any spare money to spend on coffee/haircuts surely). I am hoping that fucking Truss is just posturing for the vote at the moment and will cave and do something once actually in power, otherwise she's presiding over a collapsed economy.

BG still haven't issued us anything so we don't know what we're paying and can't fix/not fix or anything at all. Our readings are low at least. Also (pettily) I've been years without a real oven and now I finally have one I probably have to consider not using it and just use the little oven, the equivalent of which drove me fucking insane for five years.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I'm still torn about an air fryer. We don't have counter space for one and I'm trying to think what we would cook during the week. I normally try and batch cook to freeze and use the big oven* once a week then either reheat on the hob or in the microwave.

I could store one in the actual oven if I'm not using it :idea:. I'll let C do more research :yes:

*We use the smaller top oven the most.

I think the only way we can cut costs any further is if C goes into the office more. That's where the bulk of our costs are, running 2 computers and 4 monitors for 6-7 hours a day.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Topcat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:20 am And just spread even more cheer....

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-30 at 8.41.30 AM.jpeg
Holy shit! How can this even be legal?
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-30 at 10.53.08 AM.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Fucking hell.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Margo

Post by Margo »

That can’t be right - £5.46 A DAY???
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

That postcode is for a commercial property. Even so, it's fucking horrendous if it's right.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I assumed it was for the same café that TC mentioned upthread?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Yes Squirrel is right, thats not my bill its for the cafe which is why quoted it.

I would be hanging from the beams in my bedroom by now if that was my actual bill.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Ah, right. The photos don't carry over in quotes.

Those poor people. There will be loads of small business that will close down and livelihoods lost especially in the hospitality sector.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I'm horrified and petrified at the same time

We've now been trying to remember to switch things off at night and instead of doing several small washes I'm trying to wash the stuff that's needs non bio like my make up remover pads and sanitary pads every two weeks so it's one full wash as I was only doing two proper loads of washing then odds and sods here and there

I keep forgetting our microwave it's also an air fryer and an oven which will be helpful

How has it come to this when I am now genuinely frightened of winter and trying to keep warm and fed

That bill is just heart breaking
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Seventy percent of pubs will be gone by Christmas if this carries on apparently.

Wow.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Jesus.

The government must step in at this point - ordinary people don't bother them, but I think they care about businesses.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It may also spell the end of the Tory party for generations and that is something they actually care about.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents