Grubbing in the dirt

wendy james

Re: Grubbing in the dirt

Post by wendy james »

I’ve lost so much to caterpillars this year.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Ah thanks for the tips! I'll keep trying with brassicas, really would like the garden to produce at least something all year round.

The strawberry plants were new this year which is why I am disappointed. I am getting runners so will try to grow them on for next year.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Yes, spring planted strawbs should be fine for next year. Cut the runners off so they don't get distracted.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I researched avocados and they’re self pollinators as they have both male and female flowers but produce more fruit if you get a type A and a type B. I decided to chance it and just buy one - a Has which is type A. I also bought a dwarf fig tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Margo

Post by Margo »

baargain wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:05 pm Yes, spring planted strawbs should be fine for next year. Cut the runners off so they don't get distracted.
I was wondering how you’re doing in this drought? Everything in the greenhouse here is a bit sad; we have 4 large water butts and 2 are empty with the other 2 about a third full. We have to keep topping up the fish pond too, so water is v scarce here.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I am drowning in courgettes, but I do have 10+ plants due to a mix up from MumBaa :lol: my tomatoes and chillies are doing well in the greenhouse, the tomatoes are planted in the ground though, which does mean they can cope better with the dryness. This has made a massive difference compared to my old greenhouse where they were in pots. The tomatoes outside are struggling (but are in pots, so I've had a good amount of blossom end rot which is triggered by inconsistent watering). The beans just aren't setting after flowering, which I have never had before. Apparently that's potentially due to the warm nights, as they like to be cool at nighttime. My peas were mostly shit. I did try new varieties of bean and pea, so I'm going back to the rhs approved varieties next year. Cabbages and Brassicas are OK, but there's no rain to wash off pests, so they're being a bit ravaged. I do think they're a bit slow and small this year too. Chard and beetroot are the best ever :lol: they're in quite a shady area though. i got white rot on the garlic, but I think that was the cold June. I haven't had to water the veg bed as much as I thought, but I have started using the no dig method, which does seem to really help with water retention.

My sunflowers are shit, but I deviated from my usual variety. Some flower plants have just burnt to actual crisps :lol: there are some signs of life coming back though. I planted new roses and other bits last autumn, and they're holding. My new perennial bed is alive, but everything is very small and a bit crispy round the edges.

This is all also compounded by the weirdly cold period we had in spring, so stuff was late to get going and then has been impacted by the heat/dryness.

My butts have been empty for months (I have 5 large and 3 small), I do randomly have a well though! And it isn't deep, but does refill after we use a pump to refill the water butts. I think the underground aquifers are still OK, which is why we don't have a hosepipe ban in Norfolk. The pond dries up crazily fast.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh Est, that's exciiiiting. I want photos of your first fruit salad.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

IMG20220826162332.jpg
IMG20220826181835.jpg
Corn! Haha!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Oh they look good!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

If you turn them over, then you get to see that ants have eaten some kernels on one, and a few kernels haven't germinated on the other, but only small patches! I'm v proud of them! And I have loads more looming in my future :lol:
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

They look great!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Excellent!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Bravo!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

IMG20220826192028.jpg
Hurrahhhh!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Properly fresh corn is amazing. I like supermarket corn but when it's eaten so fresh, it's like otherworldly
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Yes! Apparently it loses so much sugar so quickly. The allotment insta people are all like "get the water boiling before you even pick it!" I didn't quite get that efficient :))
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Okay, that's a bit excessive but even after a few hours it's still amazing
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That looks amazing, Baa!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Thanks all! We're having them with lime and chilli for tea tonight.
IMG20220827140005.jpg
Everything is kicking off now! Ring of fire, lemon drop and poblano chillies. I've sliced and deseeded them all (while wearing marigolds), and am dehydrating them to make chilli powder.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

That’s so pretty! Great colours.