Counteracting the clutter in 2023

ParisGal

Re: Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Post by ParisGal »

Yep, agree with everyone else about Vinted. With the slight caveat that UK Vinted isn't the same exact platform as EU Vinted, so I've only used the EU one (even though I wanted to buy some stuff off the UK one, you can't without a UK phone no).

My experience has been that anything with a "brand" - not designer, but better than H&M - will go very quickly if it's priced right, and they tell you what similar items have sold for when you list. I've also sold quite a lot of non-brand stuff cheaply, which is worth it to me because of the way the platform works.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:13 pm I think the postage issue is exactly why people are saying that Vinted has got it right. The buyer selects and pays for the postage, as a seller you just have to drop the package off.
Yes, it does sound like a better way of doing things. How do you know how much the postage will be?
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Oh this is interesting to know. My plans for the weekend have fallen through so I shall be listing things on Vinted for sale.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

You weigh the item and tick the appropriate box when listing.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I must admit that I'm a bit embarrassed that I paid a moving company to move things that I was intending to sell years ago and never did.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Morganna wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:33 pm
Squirrel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:13 pm I think the postage issue is exactly why people are saying that Vinted has got it right. The buyer selects and pays for the postage, as a seller you just have to drop the package off.
Yes, it does sound like a better way of doing things. How do you know how much the postage will be?
It recommends based on what you’re listing as to what the postage should be.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

This is all good intel on Vinted. I’ve never used it either end, though my friends have (to varying degrees of success). I think a lot of my old/too small clothes will end up in goodwill/donation, but I think I will plan to separate out any nicer branded things and see if I can sell them on. I’d quite like some money towards a new sofa!
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

A quick search tells me my items may have sold for $1-10 each so I'm OK with having donated, but if I had designer clothing and accessories, I'd definitely try to sell them on Vinted
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks for the info. I might have a look at what I can sell. I'm scared to be held up when my motivation is high, but I do have a lot of decent clothes that are far too small now that I'm carrying lots of thyroid-based weight.
rosy

Post by rosy »

A new series of Stacey Solomon's Sort Your Life Out started yesterday on BBC1, and the series of Nick Knowles' New Year Clearout is about half-way through on C5. Both are worth watching if anyone needs a bit of encouragement to declutter.

On getting rid of my old printer, I have found an unused printer ink cartridge still in its original sealed packaging. It's an HP 350 black ink. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it on.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Margo

Post by Margo »

If any of you follow Totes Innapropes on Facebook she’s posted a really good rant about Vinted and how crap their customer service is if you have issues. I’ve shared it on my Facebook if any FB friends here want to find it.

I’ve used Vinted a few times and my main gripe is trying to get more info from a seller. Example - lovely car coat but the photos weren’t helpful. Me: can you tell me what length this is please from shoulder / neck to hem? Seller: average. Not helpful.

Also, because I’m living between here and Js at the moment I can never tell where to get something sent to as some sellers have taken more than a week to post!

I’ve had some lovely bits though.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Margo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:16 am If any of you follow Totes Innapropes on Facebook she’s posted a really good rant about Vinted and how crap their customer service is if you have issues. I’ve shared it on my Facebook if any FB friends here want to find it.

I’ve used Vinted a few times and my main gripe is trying to get more info from a seller. Example - lovely car coat but the photos weren’t helpful. Me: can you tell me what length this is please from shoulder / neck to hem? Seller: average. Not helpful.

Also, because I’m living between here and Js at the moment I can never tell where to get something sent to as some sellers have taken more than a week to post!

I’ve had some lovely bits though.
Moral of the story is:

Don't be these sellers :))
Malan
Margo

Post by Margo »

Exactly! I’ve got so much to get rid of and I think I’ll try Vinted, it does seem the best platform.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Their customer service is shite and I won't use InPost locker delivery as that's also shite. The number of lost parcels. is horrendous.

They do make it difficult to find out how to report a lost item/not what you ordered issue.

But also will refund (in my case anyway)
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

First item sold on vinted. So far it seems quite straightforward.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hurrah!

I’m putting the rest of mine on at the weekend. Margo will be pleased to hear that I’ve specified dress length in all my listings :))
Little My

Post by Little My »

I just found out our school is running a silent auction, so I've got a bunch of brand new stuff earmarked to donate to that. Definitely easier to part with for a good cause!

My jewellery stash got a declutter this week, spurred on by an heirloom that was gifted to R. Which, to be perfectly honest, I was a bit upset about. (Although I feel my reaction is reasonable, in the end it was not my choice and I need to just suck it up. I probably need an AITA thread!) But the upshot is that I think I would like to take an old, unwearable piece and have it made into something I can use rather than sit in a bag not seeing the light of day. I just need a plan, as I'm not sure how to go about it. It's an old, broken pendant which belonged to my grandmother and contains four opals. I'm thinking they could be reset into a ring maybe.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

It really is easier to just get rid when you know it will help a good cause. I'm stuck on Vinted looking at things to buy even though that's not my plan. :ella:

What was gifted to R? An opal ring sounds lovely and much better to have something you'll actually wear.

After a big clear out, I've hit a bit of a decluttering wall. I now have two covered baskets, one on the main floor and one in my bedroom and every day I have to take out one thing and make a decision.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I’ve made a reasonable start on the stuff from my mum’s but I keep getting waylaid by genuinely interesting things. I lost a fair bit of time today trying to decipher notes about WWII in the margins of my great uncle’s atlas.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

We got a new sofa yesterday and the old one was picked up this afternoon.

The new one is a bit longer so the computer desk in the corner had to go. I've been wanting it gone for a while.

So, we sorted through 5 boxes of stuff and I've got a bin bag full of rubbish, 2 bags of shredded paper and a box of stuff to go to the tip.

I need to sort the bookcase at the top of the stairs so I can look at storing the pc and monitor as we don't want to get rid but don't want another pc on show . A productive couple of hours :yes:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.