Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Morganna

Re: Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Post by Morganna »

Have you rifled through it, stopping at every page to read any entries and reminiscing, then photocopying the odd pattern after checking your stash for suitable remnants and finding leftovers you'd forgotten you had, so listing them on Ravelry?

No? Well you know what you should be doing before even considering the bin :))
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Being faced with seeing the full contents of my apartment again for the first time in nearly two years, I am definitely going to have to do some serious purging. I am both dreading it and keen to just be rid of it all. There are going to be lots of trips to Goodwill in my future. And probably the dump as I now remember bits of old furniture I definitely don’t want or want to replace with something better.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Morganna wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:48 pm Have you rifled through it, stopping at every page to read any entries and reminiscing, then photocopying the odd pattern after checking your stash for suitable remnants and finding leftovers you'd forgotten you had, so listing them on Ravelry?

No? Well you know what you should be doing before even considering the bin :))
:lol: It was unused.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Is it in the recycling now? :flo:
Lola

Post by Lola »

It might be useful for something one day, Cerise :ballet:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

It won’t! Take a photo of any patterns that you like and recycle it!
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

emma_p wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:36 pm It won’t! Take a photo of any patterns that you like and recycle it!
There aren’t even any patterns in it! :lol: It’s recycled now.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’ve realised that I have four hours entirely free at home on Monday :bel:. This never, ever happens. I’m going to get every single item of clothing out, try on anything I’m not sure about and have a mass chucking out session. I’m genuinely excited.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh, excellent, Squizz. I relish rare time alone too. I am always torn between ‘getting things done’, and doing absolutely nothing.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Right. Today hasn’t exactly gone according to plan but I’ve made a start on the wardrobe clear out.

I am going to list a few bits on Vinted. I’ve also got quite a few children’s and adults clothing samples (brand new items with tags) from a fashion retailer that my brother’s partner works for. Do you think it’s okay to sell these on? :look: I’m not sure of the etiquette. I should probably ask her but I actually don’t know her very well, and feel very awkward that she’s given us these things and not everything has been worn.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I wouldn't sell something someone had given me. I'd either pass on to someone else or donate to charity.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Yes, I'd give those to a charity shop which will be delighted with them.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Great I’ll do that, thank you.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

This is extremely boring 😬.

I’ve got a load of inherited jewellery that I expect is crap but I probably need to check that before I get rid. I guess I just phone round local jewellers…?
rosy

Post by rosy »

I watched some of the Minimal Mom videos and I like her ideas, except for only having one plate/cup/mug etc per person. Do they never have guests over? I suppose not. But I could certainly get rid of some old crockery (& free up space) while still having enough for me and guests.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Squirrel wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:49 pm This is extremely boring 😬.

I’ve got a load of inherited jewellery that I expect is crap but I probably need to check that before I get rid. I guess I just phone round local jewellers…?
I would check with a jeweller and be prepared for them to tell you it’s only worth the weight of the gold/silver.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Yes I’m sure it’s all rubbish but not knowing is preventing me from dumping it in the bin. I just wasn’t sure if this is the sort of thing a normal jeweller would do.

Right, I’m done for the day and it ranks in amongst one of the most boring days imaginable :lol:. I’m a bit disappointed i haven’t managed a Netflix-style wow factor transformation but it’s all movement in the right direction and I’m trying not to be too self critical. I’ve got stuff for the bin , charity shop, vinted and recycling.

I’m awarding myself a tea break for half an hour before G comes home.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Well done!

I went through my file box of paper supplies this morning, because I was looking for lined paper and realized I didn't really know what was in there. So that is decluttered (quick recycle/bin/keep job). The whole craft cupboard it came from needs a clear out, because my kids won't use half the stuff that's there now. Goggly eyes, glitter glue and pipe cleaners aren't so much in demand these days.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Well done! I guess the boring difficult sorting comes first and then you can work on the wow stuff.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Well done Squirrel. Whether or not it feels that transformative, you’ve made a great start.