Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Margo

Re: Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Post by Margo »

Lola wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:22 pm I think Mr M needs a iPod from 20 years ago. It would blow his mind :))
You can get an iPod app for your phone! It works exactly as the iPod does and I love it - nostalgia!
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I understand how frustrating it is and it seems like forever to get where you want to go, but don't forget to pat yourself on the back for how far you've come!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Lola wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:22 pm I think Mr M needs a iPod from 20 years ago. It would blow his mind :))
Oh, he has one :)) It lives in the car.
Starry

Post by Starry »

I’ve got rid of loads of stuff on Olio - our espresso maker that has been gathering dust for months, the pressure cooker I don’t use - and passed on a load of baby stuff on Facebook freecycle groups. Someone is picking up the cotbed later and E’s old playmat is going on Friday. It’s addictive. I’m going to end up with an empty house.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Margo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:13 pm
You can get an iPod app for your phone! It works exactly as the iPod does and I love it - nostalgia!
That sounds fun :))
Lola

Post by Lola »

Morganna wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:54 pm
Oh, he has one :)) It lives in the car.
You’re an actual saint then :))
Lola

Post by Lola »

Despite having to deal with lots of idiots* on facebook marketplace I have managed to sell my air fryer :perky: It was too big to store in cupboard and too ugly to keep out on the worktop, plus I only ever used it for oven chips.

* I had this conversation about 10 times
Idiot: Is this available?
Me: yes it is
Idiot: (total silence)
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Lola wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:36 pm You’re an actual saint then :))
Oh yes. That's well known. :look:
Luna

Post by Luna »

Lola wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:37 pm Despite having to deal with lots of idiots* on facebook marketplace I have managed to sell my air fryer :perky: It was too big to store in cupboard and too ugly to keep out on the worktop, plus I only ever used it for oven chips.

* I had this conversation about 10 times
Idiot: Is this available?
Me: yes it is
Idiot: (total silence)
I had to take down an ad for a Playstation on FB due to utter fuckwittery.
Lola

Post by Lola »

What is wrong with these people? :))
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I put a large coffee table-type book about the Beatles on FB - the local freebie site, so I wasn't asking for anything for it , I just wanted rid of it.

Someone started a conversation as though I wasn't there about how it might be worth something - some places were selling it for £80-£90, but others had it on for about £7, so I think the high prices are very ambitious, plus it weighed a tonne, so would have been expensive to post and difficult to pack, and I couldn't be arsed - I just wanted it gone. A few people joined in, again with no reference to me, but nobody said they wanted the book. Then someone else started what should have been a private conversation with his mate about when it would be convenient to pick it up, without even bothering to ask whether any of the times would work for me. I took it down, then took it to a NWR meeting where the first person I spoke to took it happily.

People are very strange. Tbh, I find they are worse on the freebie sites than on ones where they have to decide to pay before committing. My sister uses one where the admin are very tight on no-shows (they are banned for a month for a first offence and then booted altogether), and the rules are very clear about what to do and how to do it, and she's had no problems buying or selling.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

The only time I've had loads of hassle is when I've been giving stuff away :yes:
Lola

Post by Lola »

Yes the freebies are the worst. There are the same few people always trying to scrounge stuff on my local page. I took a post down as none of them understood the sentence “message me if interested” & just kept commenting under the post.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Would anyone like this? I can't bring myself to throw it out. I think it's done in watercolour pencils, but I'm not sure. It was made for J when he was a baby, and was on his bedroom door for a while, but it's no use to me any more and he doesn't want it. I don't know if Joseph is a popular name these days, but if anyone knows a baby J, they would be welcome to it. It's about A4 size.
IMG_2987.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That’s so sweet. Similarly I had some lovely wooden letters spelling out George that used to be on G’s door. I bagged them up and labelled it for the charity shop, they probably went in the bin but I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Could you take it out of the frame and pop it into a photo album? Maybe his baby album (if you have one ). Then you can reuse the empty frame or give it to the charity shop without feeling sad about it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

That's a good idea, emma. If anyone here wants it, I'm still happy for it to go to a new home, but if not, keeping it in his baby book would be a good compromise.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Emma's idea is very good, it's a sweet drawing.

My decluttering has slowed down. I have two doom boxes, one in my en suite and one in my office. I'm about halfway through both of them, but it's taking too long so have put a time limit for next weekend.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Mr Cos took 3 bags of clothes to the recycling bins yesterday! Something has left the house :party: and my mum has sorted loads of gardening stuff out and took loads of 'spare' pots to the recycling as well. Small steps.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

After buying some new trousers and a cardi this week, I have another bag of clothes for recycling/ the charity shop on the go.