Chester Drawers

Popprincess

Re: Chester Drawers

Post by Popprincess »

Silly silly Chester. Glad he is okay though.
Ginger wrote:God yes. It's like a Norse epic written by a Moomin.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Oh my, what a fright! Silly Chester, I'm glad he's mostly unscathed.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Lovely Chester, I'm so glad he's ok.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Skips

Post by Skips »

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I didn't know where else to put this.

It looks like we're going to have to rehome Chester. He is constantly trying to get out and we think he would be better suited to a home with a secure garden (which we can't provide as we have shared stairs down to our garden). He constantly cries at the back door and no matter how long we take him out its never enough and he's starting to get aggressive when I take his harness off. He has more entertainment here with more windows and more to see but it doesn't seem enough. It's not about fresh air as we can open windows with screens, it's about him going out. We hoped moving here would be better for him as its bigger, more space to roam but his behaviour is deteriorating and I don't know what else to try. We're not around during the day, and whilst we have a run we can put him in the garden I don't want to leave him there all day.

We've tried him with other cats and that has never worked out, we get new toys which he plays with for a few minutes and then ignores (a friend even commented once it's like he's playing with them to humour us) and I'm out of ideas.

Anyone else got any suggestions, we want to do what is best for him, but we can't go on as we are, it's stressing us all out.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Oh dear. Poor Chester ... and poor you. I was going to suggest cat-proofing the garden, but I see that isn't an option as he doesn't have direct access. Have you tried any of those 'calming' things like Feliway diffusers or Zylkene to try and reduce the stress levels? Short of another house move, I don't know what to suggest.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Skips

Post by Skips »

We take him out much more than we did in the old place as we got a run so we can keep him secure once he's down there, but it seems to have given him a taste of it and he just wants more and more time outside, on his terms rather than ours. He escaped last week and had a scrap with the cat next door (luckily Mr S went to the kitchen and heard them so we were able to bring him back in). He's been neutered and we've tried feliway but it makes no difference (he was neutered before we got him so I can't really comment on the difference that may or may not have made).
rosy

Post by rosy »

Poor Chester, and poor you. I really can't think of what to suggest if you can't cat-proof the garden.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Lola

Post by Lola »

It does sound like a new home might be best for him :( Poor love.

Maybe contact the rescue place you got him from & ask their advice?
Skips

Post by Skips »

We never did rehome Chester and while he went to my mums he's back with us now as it was getting too much for her and the flat we're in provides much more stimulation.

Anyway, my darling boy has cancer not teeth problems we we originally thought (he's become a regular at the vets over the past month or so). The vet says we don't need to do anything drastic now but it's inoperable and chemo/radiation won't help and we'd just be chucking money away (she said all the money in the world won't make a difference). He has some pain killers and he goes back in a month,.

The vet said it could be a couple of months or a couple of years. I don't want to prolong his life more than i have to, but that can be a future worry, hopefully with regular vet visits we can make the decision at the right time.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Oh Skips, it's so hard. I'm so sorry. You will know when it's the right time and as long as he is happy and enjoying life, embrace having him around 💙
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Oh Skips, I'm sorry, your poor boy. I hope you can enjoy each other for as long as possible.
absley

Post by absley »

I'm so sorry Skips. I'm pleased he's back with you and bramble's right, you'll know. Hopefully it won't be for ages. x
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’m so sorry, Skips x
Skips

Post by Skips »

My best boy was put to sleep today. His face was a lot more swollen, even the vet was shocked by how quickly its progressed but she said though it was hard it was the best decision.

I'm absolutely heartbroken. He's been through so much with me. I was lucky they let me in to be there with him (consults are still just being done by the vet and you remain in the waiting area) so he was with me when I happened. I feel like a little part of me has died with him.

He'd going to be cremated and we'll get his ashes at a later date.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm so sorry Skips. I'm glad you were able to be with him. I hope you're ok.
Little My

Post by Little My »

So sorry, Skips. You did what was best for him. It's so heartbreaking to go through, and I really feel for you. xx
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I so sorry skips. You did the best thing for him. Lots of love x
Margo

Post by Margo »

Oh, that’s sad, I’m so sorry Skips x
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »