What do I need for a new puppy?

Ella77

Re: What do I need for a new puppy?

Post by Ella77 »

As Duo says, dogs aren’t really pack animals. In the wild they’d live in small family groups.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Oh yeah, when I say pack, I mean in a family group though.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Thanks all.

LM! I have been low key worried that Bruno is shaping up to be a bit aggressive too and have been looking up behaviour trainers. Everyone reassures me that this is normal but hard to remember when he’s been been barking and trying to bite me for the last half an hour.
Texaco Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:40 pm A was the biggest target here and also the quickest moving and highest pitched :lol:
M is definitely the most unpredictable in terms of movement and sound but he’s working so hard on it. :))
Duophonic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:25 pm I remember playing with Innes and he was play growling and barking. Mr D who's never had a dog in his life was shouting that I was making him aggressive. :mog:
:mog: I kind of get it! Bruno growls and barks when he plays with his little soccer ball so I do worry if I’m half encouraging it.
Last edited by olive on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

The more attention they get and positive attention you will have a happy well adjusted dog.

It's past Innes' bedtime and he's low level whining so while I'm surfing the Web Mr D is holding his paw and singing to him. :mog:
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

The Facebook group I posted on the first page will put your mind at rest. They have tons of guides to read through especially on puppy biting and play
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Duophonic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:34 pm It's past Innes' bedtime and he's low level whining so while I'm surfing the Web Mr D is holding his paw and singing to him. :mog:
Stop it!! :mog:

I joined the Facebook group within days of bringing Bruno home and it’s been so useful so thank you for sharing.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Bumping this to ask for some advice/sanity check.

George is four months now and we've been toilet training for two months now. He's mostly got it but he has at least one accident a day still and it's always beside the door he goes out to pee from. He's good at standing at the door to indicate he needs to go out but he doesn't make a noise so if we don't see him standing there he gives us about five seconds to notice and then will pee. It's so annoying because he is so good most of the time. Is it too much to expect no accidents at this stage? Is there anything else we should be doing to let him know he only pees outside? We always go out with him when he needs to go and give lots of praise. He pees a lot so I stopped the treats as a reward as it was getting too much.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Four months is still a bit young to be fully toilet trained, I think. Archie was very reliable by 5 months, but still had the very odd accident, and was 100% reliable by 6 months.

If he’s going to the door then he’s got it, and knows what he should be doing, but hasn’t quite got the full bladder control yet when he really needs to go, so just keep taking him out regularly, he will get there really soon.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thanks Hobbes! It's reassuring to know he will get there eventually!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I agree 4 months is pretty young but the fact he’s going to the door is good. It used to drive me mad when Bruno went beside the door. Thinking back he used to go beside door a lot right before it finally clicked.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Have you got a doggie doorbell? This would be an ideal time to train him to use on to get your attention?
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I don't but will look in to it. How did you get them to start using it?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I think you basically put his paw on the button and give him a treat before you take him outside for a wee
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thanks! Will give it a try.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We have a doorbell. It’s a shop door style bell attached to the skirting. Every time we took her out for a wee we’d ring it with her paw. She does use it but only if there’s someone out int he extension with her. She doesn’t seem to realise we can hear it from wherever we are.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

That is very cute!
Little My

Post by Little My »

I agree with Hobbes. Gilda still just looks hopefully at us and stands at the door if she needs out (with maybe a small whimper if she feels it's urgent), but she never has accidents anymore and hasn't for a very long time.

We never did the bell, because we were in the middle of moving house and she was just eating *everything*. The fewer things to destroy the better! It does sound good, but at this stage we wouldn't need it.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Just updating this to say that it seems to have finally clicked in his head and we've had no accidents inside for almost a week. I've probably jinxed it now but he's been really good so hopefully it stays that way!
Luce

Post by Luce »

This thread seems as good as any to introduce Murphy 🥰

I told myself I could never have another dog after Roxy! But our friend’s two cockapoos had puppies and T (who has been wanting another dog forever) casually mentioned them and I couldn’t stop thinking about them. The chance to have a puppy from a non breeder, living in a family home. We chose a black/tan, straight haired one so she’d be as different from Rox as possible. She’ll end up looking fully like a cocker spaniel, I think. Her hair is like silk. She’s so sweet and I’ve smitten with her.

But the puppy bit, oh fuck! :lol: Last time it was so much easier as I already had a 1 year old so I barely noticed the sleep loss. But our lives with a 9 and 14 year old were super easy so this is a shock to the system. T has been sleeping on the sofa for the last 12 nights! We’re being strict about the biting and training and it’s going well. But I can’t close the crate door, yet. I’m exhausted!

Anyway, sorry, that got long. Please see Murphy 🐶
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh, and I should say, 3 of her sisters are still looking for homes! In case anyone is mental and wants to get a puppy 😂