Minor pet queries

baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Re: Minor pet queries

Post by baargain »

Dregs goes all floppy and tired on occasion, I'm sure it's when she's eaten something mouldy outside. She usually perks up on day 3.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

There is every chance he’s eaten something he shouldn’t (that was C’s diagnosis too). He stirred to eat some prawns earlier and I also got some lick-e-lix in for some liquid so I’ll just keep an eye on him. He batted a chew stick around for about 30 seconds too which was good.

Fortunately I’m WFH tomorrow so can watch him and see how he is - will leave the vet for the moment, thanks all.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Kittens tend to do this in my experience. It does normally mean they are doing a bit of a grow.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I would watch and wait too. My cats occasionally have a bit of extra time at home.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Yes, I’d also just wait & see. Sometimes they do feel a bit under the weather & have a quiet day or two.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Cats can get viral temperatures that are short lived. If they are ‘bar dude’ as they say in the business = bright and responsive, defacating, urinating, drinking and eating, there’s usually no immediate concern.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Bar dude is really helpful, thanks Luna, he’s most of those things except bright so hopefully he’ll be better in the morning. I also remembered I have free online vet access through my insurance so if he isn’t any better tomorrow I might give them a call.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

He’s definitely better today, he was running round like a loon at 4am and has already brought me a shrew (live) so far this morning. Phew.

ETA and a sparrow. And another shrew. I think I preferred it when he was just asleep all the time :lg:
Disco

Post by Disco »

He's clearly making up for lost time. Glad he's back to full pelt.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Does anyone else have minor pet queries? I am always asking!

Nero had a tick on him earlier. I got tweezers and got most of it out but there was still a bit of a lump so I’m not sure I got it all. He’s a bit late with his Bravecto and only had it today (should have been a couple of weeks ago but vet suggested moving it a bit later to align with worming treatment) so may not be as protected as I’d like.

I have read varying info on the web but the consensus seems to be to not go digging about for the remains, and just keep an eye on him. Has anyone had similar issues?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

The one time Ziggy had a tick, it dropped off naturally. When my child had a tick, I took him to the vet :lol: and got a remover which I’ve since had to use on myself too. Definitely get one of those for next time!

Not sure about the leftover tick bits though. Perhaps Luna might be able to advise.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Yes, you need a tick O’Tom remover. A vet nurse appointment will sort that out and be cheaper or they may do it for free.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Or if the Bravecto is still working it may drop out soon.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Tick removers make life easier. For the whole family. :cry:

I have a minor query..

So I'm new to doggy tooth brushing. It's not going terribly well. I have been giving her dental chews to make up for my shit brushing technique, but I will keep trying. Any top tips? Also, how often do you (really) brush your dog's teeth?

(I got a long handled toothbrush rather than the silicone finger pads, and some chicken toothpaste that she does seem to like but it's nearly impossible to keep her still enough to methodically brush.)
Luna

Post by Luna »

We used to recommend using a kids toothbrush and virbac toothpaste. Although any enzymatic toothpaste is fine. And every day ideally. We’ve never managed this though so rely on bones and chews.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Thanks Luna. I did a little more research, and the brand of toothpaste I got also comes in spray form and a liquid that you can add to their water bowl. :puzz:

Her teeth still look brand new. It's just the canines that I noticed some build-up on, so at the very least I will make sure I brush those and keep up with chews and whatnot. If it's not improving I will try the water supplement, I think.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I tried the pet hair dissolver but it didn't really work. I think because I wasn't prepared to put my machine on 90 degrees for 3 hours.

Poor Scout has hyperthyroidism and some liver disease, also some inflammatory markers from her blood test.

We have started on medication drops today. They have to go in food as she would be incredibly distressed at trying to administer into her mouth directly.

We could do one pill a day which might be better for when I'm away. Do those pill pouches/putty work (in anyone's experience)
Malan
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Oh poor Scout. Does she like lick-e-Lix? My two will wolf that down regardless of what medication is mixed in there.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Oh she's never had that. I'll have a look. I suspect she will be ok for a while as the condition makes her really really hungry all the time, but once (hopefully) it's better managed we may need to bring out the big guns.
Malan
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

If I was away, Ziggy used to get his tablet in cheese or ice cream! I was the absolute bollocks at giving him tablets but he wouldn’t really tolerate anyone else doing it.