I have a new shop!

Cerise

Re: I have a new shop!

Post by Cerise »

Amazing! You must be very proud of yourself.
Skips

Post by Skips »

It looks so good, you must be really pleased.
George

Post by George »

It looks wonderful!
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

And, look ....! :humble:
3rd-st-patricks-2019.jpg
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Well done!, and your shop looks great.
Malan
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Thanks, all. I feel stupidly pleased and proud of my 'baby'!
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Well done!
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
absley

Post by absley »

Well done OTH! What's your plan with opening hours etc? Will next week be your first week? I hope it goes really well.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

It looks fab, OTH. Good luck!
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

absley wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:52 pm Well done OTH! What's your plan with opening hours etc? Will next week be your first week? I hope it goes really well.
We're planning for Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm. The only slight fly in the ointment is that I'm at college on Tuesdays until the end of May, so I have to leave R in charge of the shop. Bless him, he's hugely optimistic and supportive, but knows sod all about sewing. Surprisingly. I've told him he'll be fine, as long as he doesn't try too hard to be helpful. :mog:

We kind of hope that we'll be able to close for a few weeks in August, but the 'new baby' analogy is pretty accurate. It needs round-the-clock nurturing and a reliable baby-sitter in the event that we ever need to take time off! :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

It looks great, well done!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Oh look at it! It looks fantastic, well done you. I hope it's a rip-roaring success. :bel:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

It looks amazing, well done!
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Two and a half years on, we've just bought this. :disco: Apart from the front part of shop and the cold store, the building has been empty for about 10 years. The last butcher left about 3 years ago. There's a [rather pretty] tiny flowering creeper growing, from god knows where, across the tiled floor. :look: It's fair to say the building needs a bit of work before we can move in. :lol:
haughs-butchers.jpg
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

What a cool building OTH! Congratulations! Is the whole thing yours??
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:26 pm What a cool building OTH! Congratulations! Is the whole thing yours??
YES!! You can't see it but, beyond the shop, there's a huge 2 bed flat, with its own front door, that can be partitioned off and let separately. The only slight issue might be that the exterior wall adjoins the newly redesigned/regenerated pub garden, next door. Errr ... great for fans of live music. :lol:
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Congratulations!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's very exciting!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
absley

Post by absley »

So exciting, OTH! Is the plan to renovate and move your business in/ live above the shop or will you let it all?
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

absley wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:09 am So exciting, OTH! Is the plan to renovate and move your business in/ live above the shop or will you let it all?
We need to move the shop as soon as we can, as there are issues with the building that we're in at the moment. Even so, there's a lot of work. The building is similar to the one we're in (though not quite as decrepit), in that the previous owners have botched the flat conversion and we need to separate out all the utilities properly. The wiring needs doing before almost anything else. That, and the RSJ above the front door and shop window - apparently rusted through, due to a longstanding leak from the damaged gutter!

We're on our way to the UK today, for the scattering of mum's ashes (amongst other things) and, while we're gone, we've arranged for a local scrap merchant - a cousin of R's - to remove the old cold store and break up the old refrigerated display counter. When we get back, we should have a more or less blank canvas. Should have. :lol:

We won't be moving in. Our local town is great fun for visitors, but the main street has a reputation for being noisy. The town is known as a hub for trad music and the pub garden that adjoins the back part of our building has just been completely redesigned to accommodate a huge outside bar and a stage for live gigs - and the first-floor flat overlooks the pub garden! While I had every good intention of letting it to a family, the reality is that it's completely unsuitable for raising young children. We'll probably turn it into holiday accommodation - maybe use it to accommodate sewing retreats! :mrgreen: