Time For A Change

Jupiter

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Jupiter »

Good luck!
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Hmmm, for various reasons I’m not fully enjoying my secondment. I’m prepared to stick it out for the year.

However, an old colleague and Facebook friend from a site that my company closed down back in the UK a few years ago just posted that the company she now works for are looking for someone to do what I did in my previous position but with increased responsibilities which I was desperate for and also with some responsibilities that I’ve learned in my new role.

My ‘friend’ (she used to come out Germany a lot when I first started my role to train me and my boss and we’ve hung out in France on a training together- we are both extroverted oversharers so we know plenty about the good and the bad about each other) is the hiring manager, do I acknowledge that we know each other in my covering letter? Or should I handle it as is she wasn’t the hiring manager?

And do I seriously want to move back to the UK at the moment?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Hazey_Jane wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:14 pm And do I seriously want to move back to the UK at the moment?
Is that a rhetorical question? :uhh:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

That's a lot to think about Hazey. I would actually ask the friend whether knowing her should be acknowledged in the covering letter.

If the role is definitely UK based I think you need to consider that question first before even applying surely. Would the job/role really be so significant you would move back to UK or are you hoping you could persuade them to have a remote worker? Is your desire to apply based on dissatisfaction with your current role? Can you not see anything else at your current employer at the end of the secondment that would match the UK role?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems like a big decision.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Are you any closer to a decision, Hazey? Moving to the UK would be a big change for you after being away for so long.

I’ve finally heard back two weeks after the closing date, that I have an interview next Tuesday for the management role I applied for. It’s part practical (verbal presentation exercise with 30 min prep/perusal time) plus structured interview questions. At least in govt they all tend to be pretty similar so I just need to make sure I have a few good examples worked out in my mind ahead of the day. I suspect there will be stuff around stakeholder engagement and being able to get buy-in from reluctant people.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Well done Est, are you feeling different about it now or are you still not too worried if you don't get it.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

You know what, I’d actually like to get it. It’s my area of expertise rather than what I’m doing just now on secondment so it would be nice to go back to that.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Good luck, EST!

Hazy, would your husband move back to the UK with you if you got it?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
absley

Post by absley »

Good luck, Est! :turtle:

Hazey, FWIW I agree with Annabella that the starting point of a decision is whether you might want to move to the UK and if that would be a good decision for you, above and beyond the job opportunity. I have questioned being back in UK since the brexit vote, but fundamentally I knew moving back to London was something I wanted, so I got beyond that.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Are you keen on the job Hazey? And yes, moving to the UK!

The opportunity I mentioned a month or so ago looks like it will come to fruition. I'm having a chat with the hiring manager on Thursday to discuss it but he says he strongly believes I'd be a good fit based on my cv and what he has heard of me (what my friend has said :lol: ) and I pushed a bit on money and they look to be agreeing to 20% more than my current salary. I feel a bit sad at the thought of leaving my current place so assuming I get a formal offer this week I'll have a chat with my manager next week.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Ooh exciting, Heebs!

Off the back of my FML post about losing my big client, I started putting the feelers out with contacts and recruiters. I've just been booked in for every single day I had free for the rest of October with the potential of a full- or part-time role at the end of it. If I can get part-time + mainly remote with a day for cheesework that would be amazing, I think.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Well done both Heebie and Nine - fingers crossed it all works out how you want it to.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That’s excellent for both of you, Nine and Heebs! I hope it works out.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

nineseven wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:07 pm mainly remote with a day for cheesework
:mog:

I've been offered the job. Actually the work sounds like something I could do really well and with relative ease once I am up to speed. So unless my current employer pulls something really amazing out of the bag, I will go for it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Amazing news, Heebs - well done!
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

That's great, Heebie! And you too, nine.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Well done!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Congratulations, Heebie!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Well done both of you!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Excellent news Heebie!

Nine, hope the job works out :fc: was today your first day?