Time For A Change

Epponnee Rae

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Congratulations Est!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

It kind of feels like an actual proper grown up job. It’s scary. But in a good way. I think I can make it work. And it’s going to be a good pay bump (close to 50%) as it’s an increase in pay grades plus a switch from part time to full time. So I may deserve a treat ;)
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Congratulations! That's an amazing pay increase too. Drink all the fizz!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Congratulations Est!
Glint

Post by Glint »

Great news, zest!
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Congratulations!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Congratulations!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Congratulations!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Well done Est. Many congratulations
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Well done!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Congrats!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That is a very nice pay rise, Est.

I'm really enjoying my freelance booking (with potential job discussions at the end). The work is fun and varied. They desperately need someone to do what I do, as far as I can tell.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Well done Est, that's brilliant!
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Things are dragging on. I spoke with my current Director who went to HR and they won't budge on my salary band (I am at the top of the band so would need to move up) or any possible proposed solution. And I got my new contract through, but haven't signed it yet. Can I ask if this kind of clause is standard these days, does anyone know? It's making me nervous to sign. I would also be dropping 5 days holiday for the first 2 years and get only statutory sick pay for the first year (for context, I have taken 2 days sick in the last 5 years, but given the global pandemic we are in the middle of, I am nervous). On the other hand, my part time salary would be the same as the equivalent full time salary if I stay where I am. I'm really torn.
If the Employer has a reduced need for your work, or there is any other disruption to the Employer’s
business, the Employer reserves the right in its absolute discretion to impose a lay-off whereby you will
not be required to work and will therefore not be paid, or to impose shorttime working with a pro-rata
reduction in pay. The Employer will give you as much notice as is reasonably practicable of any lay-off or
short-time working and of any further change to hours, including a return to normal working hours.
The Employer may in its absolute discretion determine the duration of any period of lay-off or shorttime
working.
During any period of lay-off or shorttime working you must remain contactable and available for work if
required.
:puzz:
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

We have a "lay-off" and "short-time" working clause. At the start of the pandemic, we had to start the process to lay people off before we knew about furlough but then we put everyone on furlough instead.
5.4 In the event of any temporary disruption to our business, or any part of our business (e.g. due to a temporary closure of premises, issues with suppliers, changes in regulations, reasons beyond our control etc.) and / or any temporary reduction in our requirements for work of the kind you are employed to do, you may be placed on short-time working where your hours of work are temporarily reduced with a proportionate reduction in contractual pay, or you may be temporarily laid off without pay. In such circumstances, you may be eligible to receive Statutory Guarantee Pay.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That’s a really tricky situation, Heebs. I wonder if those types of clauses are more common now due to Covid.

I was formally offered my job today and have accepted. I start on Monday. It’s been nearly 5 years since I worked full time so it’s going to be a shock to the system!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Woohoo!

Heebie, that would make me nervous too.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I can't help at all, but the cheek of saying you have to be on unpaid standby and can't take another job!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I know!

My husband’s contract of employment actually states that if any recruiters approach him (at all) he has to notify HR. (He doesn’t.) Some employers really take the piss. That clause is loads more worrying though, as is the lack of sick pay.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

That would make me really uncomfortable, Heebs. I would worry that people who were employed prior to Covid didn’t have that clause, leaving you the more likely candidate to be laid off at a whim.

ACAS says after two years you can apply for redundancy if you’ve: been laid off or put on short-time working and receive less than half a week's pay for:

4 or more weeks in a row
6 or more weeks in a 13-week period

But that is little comfort when you have a house, a child and a need for a steady income. I wonder if that clause is negotiable?