Chasing invoice payment and a general question

Squirrel

Re: Chasing invoice payment and a general question

Post by Squirrel »

Ha! :lol: I love that :))

The other thing is that some of the companies have stopped using us as a supplier (they are still in business, I’ve checked) so withholding supply isn’t relevant. They’ve just left the last couple of invoices unpaid and stopped ordering :ella:.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:46 pm Eta My boring accountant's head would say to write off debts for small amounts from years ago as it would cost the business more to chase them. But it would also wind me up to shit.
Yes I need to ask the boss at what point he wants to write it off. Like withholding supply, this is his decision so I’ll go along with whatever he decides.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Squirrel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:51 pm The other thing is that some of the companies have stopped using us as a supplier (they are still in business, I’ve checked) so withholding supply isn’t relevant. They’ve just left the last couple of invoices unpaid and stopped ordering :ella:.
Pay within 7 days or court action for those chumps.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I know he’ll never go for that but I’ll draft a letter and leave it on his desk to think about :))
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

You'll find as you go on that you will build relationships with people and they will push you up the payment queue if you get on well with them. (Again, eggs, sucking, apologies.)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thank you!
Lola

Post by Lola »

God, your useless colleague is so similar to mine :lol: I have to go back & check everything she’s done if I ever have time off because she’s so shit & makes constant mistakes or just doesn’t spot things that need to be done. She can’t follow written instructions either :lol: If it didn’t affect me I wouldn’t bother but it’s basically my job & she is part time so people would assume it was me that had messed something up. She’ll be going on maternity leave soon and she’s not being replaced so that says it all really.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That really does say it all! How useless.

Yes the saving grace is that at least in my job it’s very clear who has done what. That sounds awful if it’s not obvious when it’s her ballsing it up and people may think it’s you 😬. I would not cope with that.

My other boss (the wife of the couple) made a passing comment when a mistake came to light along the lines of “let me guess, that happened on X or Y date I expect?” When job share lady was there rather than me. They are non-confrontational to an absolute fault (see above re invoices :ella: ) and they also had issues with another colleague who is almost comically unreliable, and I know it drives them mad but they don’t address it properly.

On thé plus side, working with those two colleagues is making me look like an extremely productive mega efficient whiz kid so I’ll try and see the bright side :)). (Unless I’m also doing something awful that they’re too polite to point out :lol: ).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:46 pm It's not a job for everyone but I like it. :)) My favourite call when I worked in agriculture was when the farmer told me I might as well speak to his animals as they knew more about his bills than he did, and he put his mobile down in the middle of a bleating bunch of sheep. :lol:
:lol:

Like you, I get a bit of a buzz from chasing up payments. When I first started here it took me 9 months to get payment from a company in Africa; they ultimately gave in because I said how disappointing it was to repeatedly be ignored by someone I had considered honourable. Normally I don't go down that route though! I send a statement of account and ask if they could please confirm a payment date. Then up the ante, gradually, if they're still refusing. I really REALLY hate writing monies off. On principle.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Luna

Post by Luna »

Tenacious Lils. Repeated bad debt went to a debt agency.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:46 pm It's not a job for everyone but I like it. :)) My favourite call when I worked in agriculture was when the farmer told me I might as well speak to his animals as they knew more about his bills than he did, and he put his mobile down in the middle of a bleating bunch of sheep. :lol:
:mog: I love this.