Time For A Change

wendy james

Re: Time For A Change

Post by wendy james »

Ha, it has been confusing yes, as I still officially reported to my previous LM as it was a 3 month secondment (last September...) so nobody wanted to change it on the systems. He washed his hands of me though so whilst he completed my end-of-year on the system, it was one line of feedback and he saw 'no point' in having a meeting with me. J is *his* manager and the one who approached me about the secondment and told me before Christmas that she didn't see me going back into my previous role (hurrah, but :panic: ).

Anyway, it's more of a matrix management structure now, which I can live with. J is my line manager on the system but I'm working for C day-to-day, so he has had input on my objectives (and I'll ask for performance feedback). She's also assured me that I'm not to worry about having *no* role as she wants to keep me at the company, and we'll discuss my longer-term preferences as the current bids come to an end, work is won and new roles created, etc.

So yes, an improvement and I feel less unsettled/unsure of myself. It's been a big help that C has recently said he's glad I'm in the team and working on our current bid, whereas it was obvious last year that he wasn't sure about me initially but didn't have the time (or inclination?) to support my learning or actually be my line manager!
Skips

Post by Skips »

I've not yet had any feedback for the interview last week. I have a Teams interview for another role on Friday, home based with going into the office once a month. It's only a 25 minute drive from home though so I wouldn't be fussed if they wanted someone in more often.

I'm trying to be selective about the roles I apply for, I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire so I'm making sure they are permanent and while most involve a paycut (especially as they gave me another payrise here earlier in the week) I'm not dropping down to entry level salaries.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The one on Friday sounds promising, good luck!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

That sounds promising Skips, and I'm glad that you sound more positive WenJa, it did sound like you were really exasperated by all their inability to sort themselves out. But having a good boss who sounds like they mainly want to deploy you as a fixer sounds great. Nice and varied.

My informal chat was good, even though the role is actually a secondment which wasn't clear in the advert but I can't apply for it as I'm a contractor. However! In a surprising move, last night my boss called to tell me that someone is retiring and that opens up headcount and would I like to go perm working for her. Woop.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

ooo, so is that your current role that you like just being made permanent?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

wendy james wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 pm ooo, so is that your current role that you like just being made permanent?
Correct, and I'm really pleased because they are an excellent team. And my boss is also very clear about a progression plan for me which is rather novel.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Brilliant, congratulations!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Nice one, Cos! You too, wendy, and good luck. Skips.
Skips

Post by Skips »

That's fantastic, Cos, congratulations!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Congratulations, Cos!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Great news, Cos. Congratulations!
Skips

Post by Skips »

I had my interview for the working from home position. It definitely sounds interesting but the recruitment process is sooooo drawn out - another interview (with testing) and a face to face at a later date, I wouldn't hear if I got through this round of interviews until the end of next week at least and each stage will take another week or so.

I wrote a list of all the things that the depot manager has done and individually they are all pretty insignificant but seeing them all written down I actually think he is bullying me so I want to get out of here sooner rather than later. Saying that, I still haven't heard from the role I interviewed for last week and I've not yet had any other interest in my applications. Similar to Shoe in her thread, I would love to retrain but what in and what as I have no idea :helpful:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I didn't get the job I interviewed for today, apparently they said I was a strong contender but they want to take the role into more of a sales direction and they had other candidates that were a better fit.

I also chased feedback for the other role and they should let me know on Tuesday.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm really sorry, Skips. That's so frustrating especially given your awful treatment by your depot manager.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Sorry to hear that, Skips. I really hope you can get out of your current place soon.

I have a skills test at 12:30 which I'm not sure I'm in the right headspace for but I'll be doing it regardless. It's for an admin-based role at It.is.on the people who do vouchers and offers - a bit like Groupon.

Then the two interviews I mentioned previously on Friday, both of which are really not paying enough but I don't feel I can turn down interviews and I suppose at least it's good practice.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Fingers crossed, Shoe 🤞
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I'm going to go and read their whole site now because part of it is writing copy so I need an idea of their style. :fc:
Skips

Post by Skips »

Fingers crossed, Shoe.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Lots of luck Shoe.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Good luck!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.