Time For A Change

Beena

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Beena »

Most of my team are the same, content to potter. I'm not sure the sector we work in is that forgiving. Or that it will be an option.

I can feel a small tight knot of anger growing. Quite-open manager all but confirmed what I suspected. We're being manipulated into an unsustainable situation and I don't understand how no-one can see it. I can take steps to protect myself, but my sense of indignation is definitely rising.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I'm lucky that my role is backoffice where pottering is possible to a certain extent.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

I'm quite happy to stay in my current role another 17 years. However, that is in no small part thanks to my boss, our MD, with whom I have a great working relationship (and who I also like immensely as a person). Unfortunately he is 7 years older than me and I don't know what it would be like to work there if someone else is running things.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Lola wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:10 pm As a childfree woman I do not agree with that policy! But I do hope it’s good news for you personally :))
As a woman with two (grown) children I don't agree with that policy either. I'd certainly take advantage of it if offered, but I don't think it's fair.

I finally found the job for me and I'll work as long as the conditions stay the same. But just in case, I'm gathering all of my retirement information so I have a plan.
Beena

Post by Beena »

I've always worked in Education and have never felt secure enough to say I could see myself in the same role in 5 years time, let alone 17. You'd think being the same churn year in, year out, it would be stable, but they do love a restructure.

I need a plan too. Looking at my current pension yesterday was depressing. HR made a mistake with my contributions when I started and it took a while to fix (officially 'the pandemic', unofficially they go through staff like water). Bearing in mind J started 6 months before I did, and earns maybe 5k more, his pot is currently 3x mine. I have a couple more pensions from other jobs, but one is USS and effectively worthless.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’m here again. I’ve just applied for a temporary Director role that’s been advertised for 2 years (plus extension) in an adjacent business area. I’d be reporting to the same Exec Director I currently report to but running a different function to my current area. I love what I do now, but also feel like I should try to take the next step up. Also I prefer the team that I’d move over to lead. So I shall see how I go. My Exec told me that I’d get an interview automatically as an internal candidate so it will be good practice even if nothing comes of it. Closing date isn’t until 1 Sept so I have a bit of a wait now.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

That sounds so exciting Est and fingers crossed for you.

So I've had a 3 interviews for an external role; all indications were that I interviewed very well and strong chance I would have been offered the role but due to some internal issues, all recruitment is on hold. I'm actually not too disappointed, the timings were not great due to potential changes/promotions in my current place. It's certainly proven my worth and been a great learning experience.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Sometimes it's really satisfying going through an interview process like that Wriggle, it makes you think about the positive things you've done and the successes you've had. And even if you don't get the job, you've still told yourself that you've got some excellent skills. But 3 interviews is ridiculous. I'm really grumpy about long elaborative recruitment processes. It's a waste of time, and shows people are not comfortable with knowing how to recruit.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Estrella wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:39 pm I’m here again. I’ve just applied for a temporary Director role that’s been advertised for 2 years (plus extension) in an adjacent business area. I’d be reporting to the same Exec Director I currently report to but running a different function to my current area. I love what I do now, but also feel like I should try to take the next step up. Also I prefer the team that I’d move over to lead. So I shall see how I go. My Exec told me that I’d get an interview automatically as an internal candidate so it will be good practice even if nothing comes of it. Closing date isn’t until 1 Sept so I have a bit of a wait now.
I have an interview for this position on Tuesday :weewee:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’m late responding to you Wiggle but that is really disheartening. I’m sorry. I’m glad you have taken some positives from the process.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Good luck, tomorrow, Est!

I have officicially passed my probation period.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Excellent news Nine and fingers crossed for Est!
Skips

Post by Skips »

Well done Nine! And good luck tomorrow, Eat.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That’s great news, Neuf!

I’ve done my interview. It went as well as I think it could. I kind of fluffed one question though. It will be what it is. The panel chair said I should get an update by 22 Sept (they’re interviewing 7 people, so lots of competition!)
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve been contacted by the panel chair today to ask for my referee contacts so that’s a promising sign…
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Est, that really is promising!
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Fingers crossed!

Well done Nine.

How is the job going Skips.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Skips

Post by Skips »

That is promising, Est!

I think it's going well, but the person training me doesn't want to tell me things which is frustrating as I just want to get on. She's got a reputation as being the most helpful and I suspect it's because it's quite a new team and she's been there the longest (2.5 years), which means if things need doing that the others don't know she just says 'I'll do that' rather than showing others.

It is a very quiet office though, and quite echoey. I am not quiet.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve just had a call to tell me that, pending my completion of a serious disciplinary history declaration, I have a new job :perky: I need to keep it under my hat just now as there was another internal candidate. I am slightly terrified about what I have gotten myself into though. It’s totally out of my comfort zone and a big jump up :bob:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Many congratulations Estrella. You can do it!