Time For A Change

emma_p

Re: Time For A Change

Post by emma_p »

Will done Ella!
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Sterling work there, Ella.
Malan
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Brilliant! Fuck the patriarchy!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Great news Ella, congratulations!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Well done on negotiations, Ella, that’s great news!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Well done Ella!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thanks, everybody. I’m sure I’ll regret it, but it’s worth a try. The year at work started so, so badly for all sorts of reasons, and I honestly thought I’d have to quit with nothing to go to, so it feels like a miracle to be in this position now.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I will shut up now.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Don't shut up, you should be proud of seeing it through as it sounds like it was hard work to get, well done!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Well done, Ella! Even if you do regret it at least you won’t be sat wondering what if and it may even turn out to be brilliant.

I wish I’d fought for more clarity on my job description as it goes. My boss introduces me as something entirely different which is closer to the scope of what I’m currently doing which is significantly bigger than I’m employed to do. I figure I’ll tackle it at my 6 month review (assuming I don’t get fired before then.)
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Well done Ella, congratulations on the job and for sticking to your guns.

I just know you are going to handle troublemaker guy really well! :lol:
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Congratulations, Ella!
Margo

Post by Margo »

Congrats, Ella! I had something similar earlier this year where my boss and I wrote a whole new job description for me, and had to think up a new job title. Of course, he had to rein me in a bit!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thanks, all.
olive wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:27 pm
I wish I’d fought for more clarity on my job description as it goes. My boss introduces me as something entirely different which is closer to the scope of what I’m currently doing which is significantly bigger than I’m employed to do. I figure I’ll tackle it at my 6 month review (assuming I don’t get fired before then.)
That's weird; is he introducing you as something "better" than your official title, in which case, maybe you should be getting that package too, eh?
Skips

Post by Skips »

I took my address off my CV and I've been invited to two (!) first round interviews! One is an informal chat which is happening at 3 this afternoon. It's a pay-cut but J has told me to go for it. It's a large, National company so I'm hoping there is scope for progression.

The other I am waiting to hear back on, but they asked for availability for next week.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Fingers crossed, Skips! :fc:

I missed your news, Ella. Have you started in the new role yet?
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Oh Skips - all good wishes flying your way. Also I never put my address on my CV or my age - just email and phone contact details. Probably my name identifies my sex but I don't state it and would not.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Good luck, Skips!
Loralei wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:01 pm
I missed your news, Ella. Have you started in the new role yet?
I started last Wednesday. It's an absolute madhouse :lol:.

Sorry, I meant to say thank you to the well-wishers.
Last edited by Ella77 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That’s great news Skips, I hope one of them comes to something!

Good luck with that Ella!

My informal chat today was nice and friendly and the role does sound interesting. I’m looking forward to being invited for a competency based interview (he pretty much said he plans to do so). It’s home based, non-operational and replacing somebody who is retiring.

My name has been put down by my current employer to be PM for implementation if we re-win the business we’re bidding for, which would be more my cup of tea than what I’m currently doing. However, I can just see forever lurching from one bit of work to the next, never really being part of any particular team or getting much support or development. This role was supposed to be developmental but really it’s just been throwing stuff at me with no training or formal support. I’m told everybody has been positive about my performance (but not by my actual LM, if she is my LM because who fucking knows) but it wouldn’t suit me long term at all.
Skips

Post by Skips »

The informal chat sounded positive, Wendy,

The call went well, but despite my job serach being for permanent roles this is for a six month temporary contract starting the 22nd February (so I would need to negotiate my leave date here which is one month). It is for a large, well known bank, in their local corporate offices rather than in branch so I know that getting my foot in the door could be all I need to do and there would more than likely be other positions available but would it be madness to leave a permanent role for (albeit one I'm really not happy in)?