Time For A Change

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Kenickie »

That's brilliant, Est, well done!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I think semi-regular moves help get your face known as well and give you exposure to new skills and trying now things. I'm in my 3rd role since in started a perm job in 2020 and will be trying for another role next year when my current secondment ends.
Margo

Post by Margo »

Brilliant news!

I’ve been in my job for 7 years today, and have absolutely no desire to move - in fact, if I could pootle on til I retire I’d be very happy (I’m 57 and aiming to retire at 60, if poss).
Montana

Post by Montana »

Congratulations, Est!

I think it's very easy - and typical - to lose confidence in the transferability of your skills if you stay somewhere too long.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Montana wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:26 am Congratulations, Est!

I think it's very easy - and typical - to lose confidence in the transferability of your skills if you stay somewhere too long.
Very true. However, in my case I've only been with my current employer for 9 years so I've had other jobs. I know I could easily use my skills elsewhere, I just don't want to! I have a really great job. I can work from home as much as I want on days of my own choosing, I can always be home for the boys coming out of school, I can start later/end earlier when I want/need to, I have a really varied workload, lovely colleagues and a pretty cool boss. He's demanding but also gives me loads of freedom and sometimes protects me against myself, by telling me to take a break or to leave certain tasks till later. Sometimes I feel like I should apply for a job elsewhere but then I realise I'm very unlikely to find a similar set-up.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

No harm in trying to find out, there will be other places/ situations like that

It’s hard to believe that it’s 8 months since I got the “you interested in a role I think you’d be good at?” phone call and nearly 4 months since I moved over here. Apart from missing some people, I really don’t regret leaving Germany from a work perspective at all and barely from a personal point either.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

That’s really wonderful to hear, Hazey! Funny how fast things move!
Red

Post by Red »

Hello! Joining this thread as my career is a bit all over the place.
I was 'let go' very suddenly from my job at the end of last year. Took some time to consider what to do next, landed at a non-profit which I do like, but the money is proving very tricky to make work, and it doesn't feel like this role will develop much further so I am already feeling a little restless.
I've applied to a couple of roles this week and been asked for a 1st round interview so I will see how that goes.
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Fingers crossed, Red.
Red

Post by Red »

Nothing huge to update. I had a couple of interviews for a role but they were asking about my experience in 2 areas I really don't have experience of so that didn't progress. They did the 'the role is being re-evaluated' line which I generally think means I've just been screened out. Which is fine.

I'll carry on seeing what is out there. Part of my problem is that my appetite for work is quite low, I don't want to work for a 'hyper-growth scale up' as they generally want blood, sweat and tears, but they do pay very good salaries.
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Hey Red Just keep on trying. It is bit of a choice between money and "position" vs worthwhile job (ie enjoying it) and money.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I've just come off a call with my current 6 month secondment line manager and she's shared some unofficial news. The process will start for me to move back to the department where I previously was on a 12 month secondment in a permanent role.

It was what we all wanted in the first place but we couldn't get through due to politics and budget issues. I think there has been some major negotiations higher up saying we need resource or the work we are doing will fail.

I won't officially start celebrating until I get the emails but i wanted to share this with you all. This thread has given me a lot of encouragement and strength to push for this to happen. Thanks to you all x
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That's great news, congratulations!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That’s brilliant news, Wiggle! Congratulations!
Disco

Post by Disco »

Great work, well done wiggle!
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Great news, Wiggle!
Malan
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Fantastic! Congratulations.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Congratulations Wiggle.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Amazing, brilliant news!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Congrats Wiggle, that's brilliant!!