Time For A Change

Skips

Time For A Change

Post by Skips »

So, as documented on various daily threads I am job hunting. I'm still temping and financially it's not viable to keep doing - our mortgage is up for renewal in June and I'm fed up of varying Universal Credit payments (as my income impacts these and some months I get paid 5 times it means we don't have a consistent amount every month). Also, I've had enough of the uncertainty; the person I'm covering for has finally had their op and although I keep being told they will keep me on, nothing is certain.

I've an interview for Tuesday next week, but it's in Cardiff which is about 1.5 hours to get to and I'd need to take the park and ride. Other than that I'm getting no interest in my CV and I'm regretting moving away from the South East. :ella:

Anyone else looking?
Hazey_Jane

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’m not but good luck and I hope something comes up for you soon Skips
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Me too, obviously.

I have similar travel issues - there’s more jobs coming up in Bristol than Bath and the former can be an arse to get to, depending on where exactly.

The course I’m on now will help, and I’ve seen three jobs today that I shall apply for. The one I was put forward for in Bath in November is apparently still active, but I’m starting to doubt the recruiter (or at least wonder about working for a company that is so rubbish at working with an external company!).

Hopefully you start to see more jobs coming up now we’re into the new year, and good luck for Tuesday!
Thora mkii GTi

Post by Thora mkii GTi »

I can have a look at jazzing up CVs if that'd help?
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Good luck Skips, and good luck WeJa!

There's a promotion coming up within my team in the next couple of months. I'm a bit torn about it as it would involve managing all of my current colleagues (see colleague below), and some overseas travel which would be manageable (but tricky!), and I am kind of the new kid on the block at the moment. Plus I don't actually care about any of it and would much prefer to win the lottery and sack off work and run an animal rescue...

BUT, I've got the most experience out of all of them, and I can't bear the thought of being managed by the only other colleague who *would* go for it (he's a condescending know it all twat who actually never seems to produce any output but just talks a lot) or general fear of the unknown if someone completely new comes in, so I think I'll give it a bash.

No idea of timescales as yet as my manager hasn't written the JD/advertised it yet.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am also looking. I left my last job end of September and purposely took October off for a break. Pottered about in November and suddenly realised nobody would be hiring much in December. I have started looking in earnest now. I am London based and met with a recruiter yesterday so very much in the let's see where this goes for a week. Also have some links to people in my network that might be looking for someone but all need funding first.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I hope something comes up, Skips and a CV overhaul might be an idea?

Fingers crossed for your searches too Wendy and Annabella.

Pov - I’d definitely apply if I were in your shoes too. Good luck!

I am tentatively dipping my toe in here. I’ve seen a job that I like the sound of and mostly importantly it’s only 5-10 hours a week which would be perfect for me right now.

I’m missing a couple of the more technical elements but there’s also a lot I can add so I’ve enquired even though I don’t expect it to go anywhere.

I’m also potentially looking for an internship* to add some weight to my CV so I can maybe start consulting for small local businesses.

* I’m nervous about this though as
Princess Morripov

Oh, that sounds exciting olive. Do you have to get permits/visas sorted to work or is that already sorted? I would like to work 5-10 hours a week :))
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I’ve got a work visa sorted already so I’m hoping that as I used to work for a consultancy I can pick up similar work here and there that is project based. A couple of things like this would suit me fine! (Or even to leave it at 5-10 hours week :look: ).
Princess Morripov

Yeah, I mean you don't want to over-exert yourself? :))
Skips

Post by Skips »

That's exciting, Olive!

I would love to work part time, but my mortgage suggests otherwise. I need a lottery win.
Skips

Post by Skips »

This is likely to be TLDR, but I've been asked to attend another interview but it's 2pm Monday which is right in the middle of the day, I've asked if they can do any other time and they've come back and said as it's their busiest period they don't have flexibility it's when the hiring manager is free (basically there are three slots, all the same time but different days). It's a much shorter commute (about 45 minutes) but the pay is less (this should be picked up by Universal Credit though). I can't afford to take both Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning off. as I don't have enough holiday (as a temp I have to accrue holiday to take it off and that includes for bank holidays, my holiday just got hit by the Christmas period as my office shuts).

As I'm more likely to take the shorter commute should I cancel the interview on Tuesday? Or is this cutting off my nose to spite my face? Should I take the hit on the holiday pay whilst I'm looking?
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

If you really want a new job then I do think it would be worthwhile taking the hit on the holiday pay while you are looking. I am assuming both opportunities (before the interview) appear to be jobs you would like to do if offered.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Both jobs are things I would like to do, but although I applied for the Cardiff role, I think I did so out of desperation as I doubt a 1.5 hour commute each way is sustainable for that long and a move is out of the equation for at least a couple of years.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

In that situation I would cancel the Cardiff one for now. 1.5 hours commute each way can be really wearing especially if anything goes wrong on the commute (eg roadworks or train delays) to extend the journey.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Oh recruiter called with an interview for Tuesday afternoon at an interesting company.
mischief

Post by mischief »

We are in the middle of the world's longest restructure at work which, for once, has actually led to more opportunities rather than job losses. I have applied to be the manager of the team I am in now. I also work with a condescending know it all twat who informed me that he wouldn't be going for the post like he was doing me some enormous favour. I'm hoping that he will get another post in the department and I won't have to manage him. If I don't get this I will seriously be looking outside for a new job as although I am nearer the end of my working life than the beginning I am very bored with what I am doing and the message would be that I am not valued here.
Princess Morripov

mischief wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:46 pm I also work with a condescending know it all twat who informed me that he wouldn't be going for the post like he was doing me some enormous favour. I'm hoping that he will get another post in the department and I won't have to manage him.
My CKIAT has apparently told another colleague he's decided that actually he wouldn't be going for the role. Despite saying all year that he was going to furiously apply for any roles at XYZ level, and he totally deserved a role at XYZ level and he'd even leave the organisation as he's stagnant in this role :blah: So a complete 180, particularly when this is an opportunity to get to XYZ level within the same team/area we are already working in (rare). I suspect it's more like he's had a chat with our manager and she's suggested he isn't ready and is trying to save face. :))

Possibly very likely to change if he knows I will apply for it, so I will do my best to keep that under my hat.

Good luck mischief, I hope you get the role.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Maybe he thinks you’ll go for it and he can’t compete Pov?

Good work Annabella! And good luck mischief.

I’ve been put forward for a job that I initially said I probably wasn’t suitable for but the recruiter has convinced me otherwise (he says the JD isn’t reflective of what they actually want and implies a more technical background when they really want a good contract manager/overseer). Anyway, it’s in Swindon but the salary bracket is higher than my previous role, which might make that bearable. :lol:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Would you be able to WFH? I wouldn’t fancy a commute to Swindon.