Time For A Change

Froozy

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Froozy »

Congratulations Pov!

Good luck Wendy, I hope the chat helps clarify things.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Well done, Pov!

Good luck with the chat today, Wendy.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Thanks chaps. I doubt they’ll miss me seeing as they don’t appear to value my work stream (hilariously I look after global digital customer onboarding at the moment which you would think would be something you’d want to focus interest/resource/development into but they seem to be too busy trying to make us create 13 second videos talking about whether we’ve managed to learn introductory Japanese during the lockdown :perky: ) anyway hopefully I can agree my move for before my scheduled 2 weeks holiday in August so that I can have my time off paid on my new salary :lol:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Princess Morripov wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:14 pm hopefully I can agree my move for before my scheduled 2 weeks holiday in August so that I can have my time off paid on my new salary :lol:
That would be amazing!

I am drained from the chat. Despite going at it quite open minded/honest approach, the adrenaline was still there. It's a definite jump into a new area rather than gentle segue and I have some gaps in my experience/knowledge. BUT I do bring some background that they're missing (mainly being on the client side of things) and J (who put me forward) said that they don't want somebody who knows everything but will ask the questions to make them rethink their current approach. It was definitely meant as a compliment on my ability to drill down into things, but it made me laugh. She also bigged me up in a couple of areas based on her experience of me, which was nice to hear.

C seems like a really nice bloke who I could learn from, and there was also an element of being sounded out about working on a proposal and then implementing it (the latter being more rewarding for me than just walking away at that point, so of more interest). Pros are WFH unless a specific meeting (I'd want to ensure that my contract reflected that, so I'd still get paid mileage to go to the HO in Surrey!), no line management, higher salary (no specifics). Cons are mainly the jump into the unknown.

'm honestly not sure, but fuck it. My entire career has come from taking one job then moving into another. :lol: There's talk of maybe starting it as a 3-month secondment, to see how the fit is from both sides (and to get round internal advertising :look: ) , before making it permanent so I don't even really see it as there being anything to lose. Am I mad?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I don't think so! Will it get you away from the troublemakers in your team? It sounds really positive to me.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I WOULD NEVER NEED TO SPEAK TO THEM AGAIN! (probably not true, but it's the dream) :disco:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Nope, especially if its a secondment to start with!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I'd go for it!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Can't see any drawbacks really - have at it! (And well done Pov, you must be bloody delighted.)
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

DO IT WENDY! That sounds like a great opportunity!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I think you should definitely go for it! The fact it’s being set up as a secondment sounds like a risk free way to try it out too.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Skips wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:53 am Well done, Pov. Shred everything before you leave.
:lol:

That sounds like a win-win, Wendy. Well done!
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

You should definitely go for it, wendy!
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I am going to apply for a temporary role covering maternity leave. Some of the job is heavily related to what I do currently, the other part of it will involve a lot more production processes so I’d gain a lot more knowledge of that side of the business (and I’d be absolutely fluent in German by the end of it!) No idea if I even stand a chance but I really am motivated to apply and give it my best shot. Partly because someone else I know is interested (and I can’t stand the thought of that person doing it, which makes me a massive bitch) but also partly because my boss has completely undermined me today and pissed me off beyond belief.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Congrats, Morri!

That sounds great, Wendy. No more impossible staff!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

wendy james wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:55 pm Cons are mainly the jump into the unknown.
I would never have you down as being someone who this would be an issue for. :))
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Congratulations, Pov!

It sounds like a good move, WJ. But that is coming from someone who actively hates being a LM.

Good luck, Hazey. You may as well go for it and see what happens.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

In my pitiful state I forgot to congratulate Morripov and Wenders, that sounds really exciting.

(Sorry, I was very self-absorbed earlie. Plus ça change)
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I think you should go for it WJ, it doesn't sound like there are many downsides.

Congrats Pov! Star of the week is bullshit :yes:

Hazey - go for it too. Channel your inner mediocre white male!

I am having a dilemma at the moment. As is probably well documented on here I don't enjoy my job much. I have very little to do so I'm bored witless and the management structure makes it impossible to make any changes or do anything other than operationalise what the powers that be tell me to do (it was sold to me as a strategic role). Someone in our team has just left and I was encouraged to apply for her job. It's a sideways move so same money, but in a slightly different area. It is a more interesting job and I have applied, but I'm now getting cold feet. I'm covering the role in the interim and it's a lot more work, plus I'm not sure I really want to go through the whole interview process. For various reasons I don't see my long term future in the organisation so I don't know whether I should just stay in my boring (but well paid role) or go for the sideways move. Because of covid there are some voluntary staff measures which I could apply for including dropping to 80% which I would very much like to do, and that is likely to be much easier in my current role.

I can't decide whether I'm being stupid and I've just got cold feet about another application process/interview or whether I just can't be bothered. UGH.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

If you’re already covering it and have discovered it’s not an appealing prospect and no better long term (or even short term) than what you’re doing, what would you have to gain from pursuing it? Unless the additional work is attractive to you because you’re bored of being underused.