Time For A Change

emma_p

Re: Time For A Change

Post by emma_p »

Pay scales in the civil service are just so rigid, Rebs. S has jumped through hoops to try to employ people from the private sector, even personally getting sign off from the permanent secretary on higher salaries, but he’s so rarely been able to get salaries to match up and he’s often frustrated that he’s missing out on great people he wants to employ. It’s a huge problem.

That’s brilliant Ken and Luce I’m so pleased for you!! I’d love to see your cheugy office :))
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

emma_p wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 pm Pay scales in the civil service are just so rigid, Rebs. S has jumped through hoops to try to employ people from the private sector, even personally getting sign off from the permanent secretary on higher salaries, but he’s so rarely been able to get salaries to match up and he’s often frustrated that he’s missing out on great people he wants to employ. It’s a huge problem.
Yeah, this is what I suspect. Even though I'm not sure it's a direct hire, technically. It seems to be a partnership between the consultancy advertising the job (s.opra s.teria) and the civil service Shared Services thingy.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

It’s worth asking, but yes, like every one says, I wouldn’t imagine there’ll be much ability to move.

I was recently approached by a public sector organisation I’ve been dealing with a lot over the last couple of years. They had a role coming up, and really wanted me for it. I was keen on the role, and perfectly prepared to take a salary cut for it, but they told me that the best they’d could do was £10k less than I was earning in my previous public sector role more than 2 years ago now. There was no way I could consider that!

Great news though Ken and Luce, fabulous to be so sought after!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Just catching up here. Congratulations Ella and Dande - well deserved both of you no doubt.
Fantastic new Luce - many congratulations to you too
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you, Annabella!

Sorry about the rate thing, Rebs. It’s so rude.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

What positive news in the past couple of pages! Well done folks.

(Low rates/salaries notwithstanding.)
Last edited by wendy james on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

How’s it going with your job these days, wendy?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks for asking.

In a discussion today on an org chart for our current bid, C railroaded J into putting me in a role we (C and I) have discussed me moving into rather than the one she’d put my name against. So no promises, but at least my name is against the preferred role.

And C had said earlier that he’d put me in as the senior manager above the role, as I’d do a better job than the chap currently named for it. He’s been coming to the meetings as the proposed job holder though so we can cross that bridge if we win it. I’m down to project manage the mobilisation first anyway, before moving into a BAU role.

If we don’t win, then fuck knows. :lol:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Excellent news, Luce. Well done!

And echoing what everyone else said, Rebs. In my experience civil service is very rigid and there is little to no wriggle room for a perm position (different for contractors though)

I’ve just been extended in my position to the end of Jan. I don’t love it but it’s good experience. They’re going to advertise the Head of PMO role later this year which is a pay grade higher than I am just now. And is my logical career progression role, but I’m not sure I’m ready for it. My Director mentioned he thought I would go for it when I was chatting to him yesterday, so I’ll have to give it some serious thought.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Well done Ella, Dandes, Luce and Ken!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thanks, Jupes.

I don’t fully (or partially!) understand all of that, wendy, but it’s sounding positive. I hope you get the more senior one if you want it.

Do go for it, Est, especially if the director assumed you would anyway!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Ha, I often don’t understand what’s going on either. I think ultimately I’ve proven myself to C who is now championing me for decent roles.

What’s putting you off Est?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s good. Will the other guy be an issue?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Wendy, I think it’s the jump in level of responsibility and the associated pressure I would put on myself because of that. I’m also unsure if I could do it while still staying part time (which I’m not ready to compromise on yet). Ultimately, I’ll apply for it I think.

That sounds like potentially good news for you?
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Hmm. I have a bit of a dilemma. I've been fed up in work as I seem to spend most of my time doing admin and chasing people up to do their jobs, and not much time doing any actual consultancy, which is what I do best. I spoke to my director at the end of last year and he agreed to me doing a pilot project of consultancy with one area of the business which was a success and very enjoyable, but still had to take a back seat to the dull and frustrating stuff most of the time. I know exactly what needs to happen next for the direction of our team, and again if I can run it as a pilot next year and actually get time to focus on it, will have the chance to demonstrate massive value and get attention at a really senior level. Getting time to focus on it will be the challenge, plus things move really slowly where I work, and change is difficult. But it would be a big step towards enterprise architecture which is what I would like to do, if all the ifs worked out. In the short-medium term, I am at the top of my salary grade and given that I am a single parent, money is a bit tight.

I was unexpectedly offered a job yesterday. Working with a friend who I contracted with a couple of times, at least a 10% pay increase but possibly more, plus the flexibility I have in my current job. This would be permanent and would be doing work I would find relatively easy. Alternatively I could go back to contracting, with a view to going into business with her, setting up a services company. The money in contracting is obviously really good, but no security or pension etc. The job would be entirely home based, which I am not a fan of, but we could possibly do a couple of days a week in a co-working space together.

I think I need to work out what I would be prepared to accept to stay in my current role and then speak to the director to see what he can offer. It's a nice dilemma to have but my head is all over the place. Writing it out has helped a bit.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

That's a lot to consider Heebie. I definitely agree going back to your current place asking for more is the way to go. Being tied with admin instead of what you're there to do sounds really frustrating.

The only other thing is whether the new rules around contracting would make it a pain to go back to. This is only what I've picked up from other people in similat situations.

I ended up going back to the Linked In recruiter with questions about the salary as it was impossible to find a way to contact the internal named person except via a stupid chat bot that failed to understand anything I asked. So far, zero response. No surprises there. :ella:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I guess that's kind of your answer Rebs but very frustrating.

That's tricky, Heebie. Is it worth foregoing the pay rise now for the future opportunities of where you are now? And how concrete are those opportunities?

Est, definitely go for it. I'm so glad I pushed myself to go for my current role as I'm really enjoying being stretched. Although sometimes it's disconcerting to be the one resolving difficult situations rather than just passing them on!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

The role has been advertised and I’m working on my application now. It’s permanent so there will be a lot of applicants, so I’m fairly certain I won’t get it. But I’ll show willing anyway. If I do get it, I’ll need to vary my current, very comfortable, work pattern. I’m not willing to go full time. But I’d consider 0.8 or 0.9 FTE as long as I can keep 2 days at home (and can get the kids into after school care).
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

So I completely forgot that the closing date for the job was today until someone in the team asked about it today. And I hadn’t written anything as this week has been a bit mental. Anyway I threw something together and have submitted. I know for a fact that at lunchtime mine was the only application that had been submitted so far. Will see how I go…
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Good luck!