Time For A Change

Heebie Jeebie

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Dandelion wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:26 am That would make me really uncomfortable, Heebs. I would worry that people who were employed prior to Covid didn’t have that clause, leaving you the more likely candidate to be laid off at a whim.
That's a really good point. I think I'll have another chat with my current director. I could get experience in my current role in 2 or 3 years that would easily bounce me into higher salary ranges than the job I'm being offered, that's if I could get the chance to do my actual job and not spend all my time caught up in admin, tech support and junior project manager work. But then again, this new job takes me into the salary range I have had in mind that I need to get to, and anything above that would just be a nice to have.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I can totally see why you are uncomfortable with that clause Heebie - I too would be worried that it’s a new addition following Covid, and that it would mean “last on first out” if there were future lockdowns (in theory all employees should be treated equally though, so that kind of term should be applied to everyone, but I wouldn’t bet the house on that being how that principle is applied in practice). If that clause was what would make you turn the role down though, I would definitely tell them that - it’s might make them change the contract to remove it, or if not, it’s definitely the kind of feedback they need about it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Following my month freelancing, they've booked me in for all my free days in November too, and I have an interview with the founder on Wednesday about a possible permanent role starting in the new year. It would be a hybrid role managing a couple of client accounts and also overseeing all the agency's copy.

I also have a "casual chat" with a scary global agency this morning to discuss my skills :panic:
Glint

Post by Glint »

Sounds very promising nince :fc:
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

That sounds brilliant nine - best of luck!

I am starting a new job next week - I’m moving to work in-house at a bank. It’s a role that I think will hopefully be really interesting (audit regulation was fine but didn’t thrill me, it turns out :)) ) and I will actually have to go into the office, at least at first. The recruitment process was so ridiculously drawn out though - four in-person interviews plus a psychometric assessment and a written test - that I already feel I know their offices pretty well, at least.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

The interview has been moved to 1.30 today and I just finished another interview which I think went well. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount I have on at the moment. As soon as I start looking for perm roles my freelancing goes through the roof!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Congrats Liv!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Excellent news Nine and Liv!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I just got offered a job! Waiting to hear the benefits/job title but they're flexible about me doing a four-day week if I want to.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s great, Nine!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Interview 1 since offered me a second interview, so I told the recruiter for Interview 2 (who'd made the offer), then she phoned back and they'd upped the salary by 12.5% and given me a more senior job title :lol: :panic:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

It's VERY tempting as I could carry on doing my cheesework :love:
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

That's brilliant nine! Will you take it? Push for more money?

I'm not able to get the new people to take that layoff clause out of my contract, but they say its standard for all employees and has never been used. I'm still torn. My current employer really looks after people - they have just introduced a really comprehensive menopause policy for example. And I'm wondering if they will increase salary bands in line with inflation/public sector pay increases, because if they do that would take me much closer to the territory where I wouldn't be prepared to jump for the money, because of the various other benefits where I am now. I'm going to end up tossing a coin at this rate.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Well done everyone!

Heebie, is the current difference in money enough to make up for having say, a couple of weeks unpaid sick leave in the first year and the risk of redundancy? If so, I'd move rather than holding out for possible future rises where you are now. Plus it's often easier to jump ship and then come back to get more money/a more senior role etc.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:56 pm That's brilliant nine! Will you take it? Push for more money?
I think we cross posted! I don't think I can push them any higher but I am very tempted to take the offer for four days + cheesework. Giving it a lot of thought. It's very digital focused which is an area I am really keen to do more work in, and I'd be overseeing copy across the whole agency.

That's a tough one, Heebs. It sounds like you're leaning towards staying put though?
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

We did cross post, well done!

Yes the difference in salary would cover a couple of weeks unpaid. I genuinely am leaning towards tossing a coin.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

It might be a good idea, and then if you want to redo it that might show you your actual leaning.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Kenickie wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:36 pm It might be a good idea, and then if you want to redo it that might show you your actual leaning.
I always advise this as the best way of making a tough decision - toss a coin and asses your real, gut reaction to the outcome. :))
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Congratulations Liv and Nine!

Heebie, good luck with making a decision.

I’m in my new role now. Though apparently also still doing my old one, so I’ll need to address that today in my transition meeting with my Director. My calendar is crazy. After nearly 5 years it’s going to feel very strange working full time. My kids are in after school care today for the first time ever!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Oh my goodness what a successful bunch of women - well done Estrella, Nine and Liv! Fingers crossed you make the best decision for you Heebie