Time For A Change

Ella77

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Ella77 »

I hope that comes to something, wendy.

Skips. I'm not sure. Is it guaranteed for at least 6 months? Would you get things like paid sick leave, bank holidays off (paid) etc.? (Questions for you, I mean; you don't have to tell me :)).)
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I wouldn’t Skips given the current climate and everything but I’m really risk averse.

I’m glad the call went well though and I hope it has given you a boost.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I wouldn’t leave a permanent role for a temporary one at the moment.

Ella, I missed your news, I hope the role goes well!
Beena

Post by Beena »

Congrats, Ella. I'm sure you'll have the measure of your awkward report.

Skips, I'm with the others about giving up permanent for temporary at the moment. If you hated your current role and desperately needed an out, 6 months is risky, but worth a punt to cover you while you found something else. Otherwise I'd stay put and keep looking. Banking always strikes me as quite precarious somehow.

A job that is closer to my old role/experience has come up and I'm dithering about what to do. It feels a little like going backwards. It would be another pay cut, and I already took a cut when we moved. I'm not overly enamoured by my current role, but it has potential, if I ever sort out what is expected of me. My relationship with my LM is - uncomfortable? She covered the role before me and is still picking off bits of the job that I need to be involved with to make sense of the whole. I feel constantly cut out of the loop, and then she'll do this horrendous thing of blindsiding me publicly by asking me to report back on decisions and conversations I've not been privy to. I don't think it's deliberate, but it is having an impact. I'm constantly anxious and to be honest, feel a bit of a failure.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I'd actually take the job skips because having a good brand name on your cv can make getting a new job much easier even if it feels precarious.

And you need to raise that Beena, she's not doing her job properly. And she probably isn't doing it deliberately but it doesn't matter, it doesn't t help anyone. She probably feels overworked and you feel cutoff.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I think I would go for the job if I would be ok if my contract finished and I didn’t have anything to go to, otherwise I’d stay put.

Beena - I’m about to do something similar (drop a grade) and I don’t regret it. Is it in the same institution or somewhere else?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Having seen how unhappy you are in your current role, Skips, I'd be inclined to agree with Cosmo there. And also about you, Beena. Your manager should be told if she's having this effect on you.
Skips

Post by Skips »

They have invited me to a second (online) interview on Thursday, where I can ask the question of how has the role come about - if it's covering sick or maternity leave I don't think I will risk it as there is very likely to be an end date. But, if it's a temp to perm looking role I may take the chance (assuming I get an offer). As Cos said, having a brand name like that on my CV would definitely raise my profile in the future.

The other job that are interested have invited me to (online) interview on Monday next week. Again, it's a salary cut, but this time it's a permanent role working for a company that works with the NHS. Bit more tricky as I'm in the office but if the builders have finished (they hope to do so this week) I might make up an appointment and work from home. Otherwise, shut the door and hope for the best. :))
Beena

Post by Beena »

Fingers crossed, Skips. I hope something comes through for you soon. I really do.

Re. my LM, I've raised it a few times, which is how I know it's not deliberate - or personal for that matter. I had a mutiny in my team in November when she pulled something similar with them and undermined work they'd already done. She's very efficient so when anything lands on her desk, she deals with it. There's also a undertone of not trusting people to do things to her standard and that gets a little wearing. Being put on the spot in meetings is horrible though and I am pretty adept at bullshitting with conviction.

It's a different organisation, Chicky, but worlds are very small so I don't know if that helps.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

My current secondment is due to finish up at the end of March (though the project is extended and they want to keep me) However my Director at my substantive position called me today and has said that he only agreed to a 6 month stint away, and I’ve been gone for 18 months so I basically have to go back. On the upside, he’s created a new position for me (at the higher level I’ve been acting at for 18 months) I’m waiting for him to send me the position description (it’s a move into change management) and then I have to tell my current line manager that I don’t want him to pursue an extension of my secondment (despite me telling him earlier this week I did). I feel bad about that but I feel if I don’t go back now I’m going to career limit myself for the sake of 3 more months on this project.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Skips, I agree with Chicky on this one. As long as you would feel ok/manage with a potential job search in 6 months, I’d be tempted to go for it. Especially if it’s with a company that’s going to be good for your CV. You sound so desperately unhappy in your current role.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Fingers crossed Skips - you do need to get away from your current employer.
Beena

Post by Beena »

That's awkward, Est. How do you feel about going back and the change in role, aside from having to backtrack on what you've told your current line manager?

I need to separate whether I want to apply for a specific job as I want the job or whether I'd be applying as I feel stabby about working with certain individuals where I am. The latter is over-shadowing everything else at the minute.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Is your official line manager ok or a bit of a berk, Est? I got the impression you were happy to be away from him, but I can't remember.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Look, I’m ok with going back. I was always going to (vs looking for another project to jump to) He’s not the best line manager but according to the role description I’ll report into one of the other IT directors. It looks like it would be a pretty straightforward role.

I’m a bit anxious about the backtracking thing though :ella: at me.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Just blame your manager Est, it's what any bloke would do!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Skips

Post by Skips »

I agree, pass the buck onto your manager.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I will. At the end of the day I have to consider my future in the Dept and not going back when they have been clear that they need me back would be a bad move. My only concern is I’m on a high profile project and up above may pull rank, but that’s completely out of my (and my boss’s) hands.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

It’s always tough with secondments, I hope you get it sorted.

Beena - that’s tough too. In my case it was the institution I had a problem with so any other job in the same place would have had the same problems, hence jumping ship. Is there any light on the horizon (is your manager retiring soon? Talking of leaving?). If it’s making you miserable then it might be worth leaving, you can always go back.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Estrella wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:54 am Look, I’m ok with going back.
I've re-read what I wrote and I don't see what annoyed you, but sorry.

Skips, good luck today.