Time For A Change

wendy james

Re: Time For A Change

Post by wendy james »

It’s hard to say without having met the Swindon company yet. It sounds more interesting, pays more and is probably a better commute so it wins on paper but I need to know more really.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oooo good luck Olive and Wenders.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks!

I just had a terrible conversation with an agent about a job I applied for last night. She told me nothing about the role, even when asked directly, but was fishing loads. Like asking me my typical day in my last role, despite me just explaining I had a niche global role, which I can’t replicate in the SW, so my experience from the company before is more relevant.

I refused to tell her who I’m meeting on Thursday, and when she said it’s so she doesn’t approach anyone who’s already seen my info, I pointed out that I’d applied for a specific role not asked her to take me to market, and that she would, of course, speak to me before giving my details to anyone so I’d tell her then if there was duplication. I doubt I’ll hear from her again. :lol:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Sounds like she was fishing to see if she can hire for your old role. I absolutely hate that, and think it should be illegal.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 am Sounds like she was fishing to see if she can hire for your old role. I absolutely hate that, and think it should be illegal.
:yes: With a side order of 'I have no actual job to tell you about, and just want to know who you're interviewing with so I can send CVs to them too'. She sounds a treat.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yep, that too. Ugh.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Good Luck Olive. Wendy hope Swindon works out. Also what a pesky agent!

I am still waiting re notice on second interview as the other first interviews were delayed from last week to this. In the meantime I have an interview on Thursday this week for a temp to perm position that sounds interesting.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Do you have a preference (temp to perm aside)?

I’m not sure I’m keen on the Bristol one after today. I’ve been ‘the client’ meeting the proposed on-site manager before and have always felt they came prepped by the recruiting manager. I got nothing from him prior (or afterwards, as per daily thread!), which disappointed me. Especially as he couldn’t confirm a few things when we met last week. Plus they seem quite keen on a specific type of task (churns) that doesn’t interest me. So I don’t think that will come to owt.

ALSO, it was a weird set-up. I’d been given two male names, one of whom came to get me from Reception and took me to a room with a woman waiting too, and two people on a Skype call, then another person ‘popped in’ for a bit. They said it was a chat to establish cultural fit, and he would ask me a question then start waffling on about something. I don’t think it was on purpose to disarm me, more just really bad interviewing technique. :lol:
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Oh, that is strange, WeJa. Were the Skype callers in another country/location, or could they not be bothered to turn up? That does sound like a very haphazard interviewing approach.

The new senior role I mentioned earlier in the thread has been advertised, so I've bit the bullet and applied. The only thing that could go for/against in my favour is that I'm trying to manage a complete shit-show situation with a few different teams at the moment that my manager is close to as well, and I think general outcome of this/how I come across will help/be problematic for this application! BAD TIMING.

Basically I didn't come across great in discussion a few weeks ago because I was out of my depth on the subject manner, alongside someone being a condescending cow-bag about conflicting with our proposed process and I couldn't really stand up to it (due to lack of knowledge of the finer detail). Anyway, I am going in for round 87 tomorrow and the final date for applications is Monday, so hopefully I don't make a complete twat of myself :perky:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Good luck! The timing does sound unfortunate but hopefully you come out looking positive and it helps towards the senior role!

One of them is based in Aberdeen and I think the other was the missing chap. It was all quite haphazard, that’s right. I was only offered a coffee when the woman spotted my look towards hers and her colleague’s. #rubbishpokerface :lol:

Oh, and I think it’s where nile worked and I seem to recall her having a crap time (though it’s unrelated work).
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Go for it Pov sure you will be fine

I am not worried about temp to perm opportunity vs 2nd interview at other place. Both totally commutable - 2nd interview one a bit more money but am much more interested in working with some really nice people. I am 60 now so not looking for a forward/upward career path, more somewhere that would like to use my experience whilst giving me a bit of a challenge where I can bring some positive results
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

wendy james wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:07 pm ne of them is based in Aberdeen and I think the other was the missing chap. It was all quite haphazard, that’s right. I was only offered a coffee when the woman spotted my look towards hers and her colleague’s. #rubbishpokerface :lol:
Nice! Honestly, how hard is it to offer basic politeness! :ella: They might not be a great place to work (based in Bath and Aberdeen sounds like they are a big outfit, though - I'm assuming those aren't their only bases!).

Where are things with the Swindon one, then? Have you met anyone form the company yet?

Best of luck Pov! Hopefully the people recruiting will also understand you are managing a difficult project, and give you credit for that? In my place at least everyone knows which are the really crap projects...

I hope you get the right role for you, Annabella!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I met them this morning, and the role is definitely my preference. Flexible working hours makes the commute even more bearable. I still don’t think they know exactly what they want though, so I’ve no idea if I meet their ideal. :lol:
mischief

Post by mischief »

I finally heard that I got the job well sort of. As I couldn't tick all the managemen boxes the are making me deputy and not recruiting the manager for 6 months to see how I do. This would also give me chance to decide if I want to move away from a technical role to a management role. I have already lined up a female mentor. Apparently a few others are in this position as they want to develop staff they see potential in
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

How do you feel about that mischief? I think it sounds really positive that they want to support developing existing staff. Have they indicated how they’ll support you in ticking the boxes by the end of six months?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Well done, mischief, although I am slightly wary of them making you deputy unless they have a very clear path and timescale for you to step up to the role. I hope you get a pay rise! (I'm not asking for details :).)
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I also wonder how you feel about that, mischief. It can work (I have recruited people in the past on a lower grade in the expectation that with some coaching and a chance to learn more about what skills we are longer for in a more senior role they'll be able to win a promotion, and it has worked out quite well) but I agree that clear objectives and a learning plan would really help.

Fingers crossed after meeting you they have decided you're exactly what they want, Wendy!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Fingers crossed Wendy. Well done mischief, hope they have a proper plan for you to work towards and achieve.

I had an interview this morning for the temp to perm role and she (Operations Manager) told me right there that I would be invited back for 2nd interview next week. Having met her now I do understand why they want to do a temp to perm situation and I would be totally on board with that. Having worked in finance for tech companies for the last 25 years, this position is still finance but in a very different industry, so we will see.
mischief

Post by mischief »

I know I am not the only one that is in this situation I have been assured by two senior managers that this is the plan going forward and the option was discussed with me before they put the wheels in motion to contact HR and change the jd of one of the team positions (not the managers role). I haven't had a full meeting with my manager as this was all done via phone yesterday and it had to be done cloak and dagger as another applicant works in the team, however if I hadn't accepted the deputy role there would have been no one appointed as he says he believes I have the ability but he cannot prove it on paper. All the senior management team have been told if they appoint and it doesn't work out it is on their heads so I think they are being a bit cautious. Yes I have had a pay rise
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That sounds promising then (and I'm glad they are financially compensating you too!).

The Swindon role is a go! :bel: The hiring manager is happy to recruit me though it's conditional on passing the security interview (I foresee no issues!). The agent wanted to let me know unofficially as I said I've been dodging the Bristol chap until I knew where I stood. :lol:

He (the agent) has asked that they make me a conditional offer rather than just asking me along to the security interview, so I know where I stand. If not tomorrow then I should have it early next week.
Last edited by wendy james on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.