Time For A Change

Disco

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Disco »

Mine almost did! I had to remember the boards of examiners for each subject!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I wouldn't have a clue! I'd have to phone the school and hope they'd have records.
Disco

Post by Disco »

That's exactly what I did. They had just got rid of the paper records so they had nothing, except my form tutor was still there and he thankfully got back to me.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Did he have some records or did he just write a letter? It's absurd.
Disco

Post by Disco »

He just provided the names of the examining boards - I could remember some of them myself - and I gave that info to the company who could then do their own checks to ensure what i had told them was true.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

In my rummaging I found a signed rejection letter from Boris Johnson when I applied for a journalism work experience placement :lol: I also found a rejection letter from the newspaper I'll be working for (and many others).
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My work asks for copies of anything you put on your CV so I was very glad only my degrees are on there now!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

You should frame the Johnson rejection. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Kenickie wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:09 pm You should frame the Johnson rejection. ;)
Totally!

I am amazed you can remember you examining boards! I know where all my certificates are, and glanced through them the other day but would have no idea who they are.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Surely GCSEs become totally irrelevant once you start studying at a uni? It's not like you would have got in if you didn't even have GCSEs?? I don't even remember all my GCSE subjects, let alone which boards!
Disco

Post by Disco »

Not everyone goes to Uni. :teacher:
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

That's true! But if you have anything beyond GCSEs on your CV, surely they then become irrelevant? Ken mentioned having to have proof of everything on your CV.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

So my saga continues. It has been clarified for me today that the salary offer for the backfill temporary role is higher in order to compensate for the fact that HR will not budge on relocating me. So to do the job from the UK I’d have to move myself back, covering all the logistics and costs of moving myself.

It’s hard to see this as a good deal but my Director thinks he’s offering me a brilliant package - that the salary covers the cost of moving (I’m not sure he fully understands what that actually costs), but also my salary would effectively be the same paying a higher tax rate (incl NI) back in the UK. Maybe my idea of compensation has gotten warped and I’m expecting too much?

It just seems like everything I thought would be the case to do this backfill is being stripped back, and the only upside is being back in the UK with a decent job (for a short while). It’s been just over 2 weeks since I was told I’d got the job and need to decide one way or another by Wednesday.
absley

Post by absley »

If they won't cover the move, is it with staying put and job hunting from where you are, knowing you may have more time to look in your current job, and then move at your leisure (having enjoyed a bit more time in your new place etc as well) knowing you have a permanent job?

Or is the 11 months of different experience worth the job hunt gamble, in this case knowing you will need to start looking almost immediately to minimise the risk of a gap?

I got offered something recently that was more like the latter, but decided I preferred the former given the current economic situation etc
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That sounds stressful, Epp.

I am also a bit stressed - my job offer included an OH assessment so I had to declare I have ankylosing spondlytis. I was discharged by my rheumatologist more than a year ago after my weight loss and am virtually symptomless apart from very occasional, very mild discomfort in my hips. I've been referred for a telephone assessment and the earliest they had was 21st. I'm meant to start on 1st!

I have been working for the company for more than a year with no issues so fingers crossed.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Will they delay your start date until after the assessment nince? It wouldn’t seem right to, though I’d be amazed if you had any issues either way.

Yeah, I am quite stressed about it really. Completely distracted. It feels like being screwed down to the absolutely minimum I’d accept, which doesn’t really feel like being valued after 10 years?

Those are the right questions, Abs, thanks. I’ve got some people saying what I do already is translatable enough to move into something else (kind of what this situation is proving to a point), and others who think the exposure in the temp role is valuable. It also seems a crap time to be coming back with rate rises and COL with no security.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

It's on 21st June and my start date is 1st July, so hopefully if it's processed quickly and they don't decide I'm unable to work (!!!) I can still start as planned.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Under what circumstances would they pay for the international move back, Epp? If you got a totally different role within the organization here in the UK, unrelated to the thing you're currently being offered?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I wouldn't come back now Epp. I would also feel hugely unappreciated and screwed over and I'm a bit mad on your behalf because I would expect better for your organisation.

I'd probably stay and look to grow your skills more in your existing role to suit what you think would be your ideal next move. And start thinking laterally about what types of organisations may have those roles. I'm happy to be a sounding board if you want to talk to someone who has no skin the the game?

And nine, they can't stop you working there, having an bad back is not a reason to prevent employment, that would be hugely discriminatory. They probably want to do a workplace assessment and sort out a special chair / standing desk / gubbins.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I agree with Cos, and it doesn’t sound like you’re champing at the bit to come back to the UK. You see your family loads anyway, far more than me and I live in the same country as mine :))