Time For A Change

Annabella

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Annabella »

Which role was that for Skips? Why did it feel awkward
Skips

Post by Skips »

It's an admin role for a company that works with the NHS. It felt really stilted which I would have blamed on it being over Teams, but the interview I had last week was also on there and felt more natural. She also worded things in a way that threw me - for instance rather than asking for examples of what I'd done in the past she asked me how I would do things (one being how I would behave with customers). It could just be that I've never had an interview like that before but I found it confusing. If nothing else it gives me things to think about prepping for for future interviews.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Perhaps asking you how you would do things rather than have done things was to find out how proactive you are, or how good you are at thinking on your feet? In these odd times everyone is facing new challenges - including hiring managers. Did you get the idea you would like the role or did you feel it was not something you would hope to get an offer for?
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'm sure they had their reasons for it, it's not how I was used to being asked or had prepped for so I'm sure I didn't come across very well.

It sounds like an interesting role, but on the back of the interview I've already resigned myself to not getting it. I think sometimes people can get a feel for how well something went and today can be filed under poorly.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

You might have one across better than you think Skips. Hopefully you get an offer of something new soon - fingers crossed for you.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I hate questions like that. They just seem designed to trip you up as you don’t know how their company operates & what their culture is, so you don’t know what they want you to say.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I have been offered the job for the bank, however there is no movement on the start date of 22nd February and I am contracted to give 1 months notice - as cutting short would mean missing month end I am doubtful that work would agree to reducing my notice period or let me use holiday for the last week.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

What do you reckon? Will you go for it anyway?
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I would possibly just do it :look:
Skips

Post by Skips »

How would I do that? I know that is a stupid question, but do I tell them or call in sick? Can they do anything?
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Congratulations Skips!

Do you have any holiday owed? I’m not sure you owe much loyalty to your current company though :look:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Congratulations, Skips!

If the offer isn’t conditional on references (or the bank has already had the reference) I would give your notice but tell them you will be leaving on 21st February. They might not be happy about it but you don’t owe them a thing. There’s no way it would be worth their while chasing you for breach of contract.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I agree. I mean, don't let us coax you into doing something you don't want to do, but I think it should be possible if you do want to do it.
Skips

Post by Skips »

The bank needs references, they don't have those yet and the offer is conditional on those.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I would let them do the reference and then hand your notice in and just state you're leaving on the 22 Feb.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

But don't hand in your notice until you have the written offer! Also will they do a written offer with other references? I think often I've got a written offer on the basis of references from previous jobs as most people understand that you don't want your current employer to do a reference before the written offer!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I once gave less notice & just had a word with my boss who agreed to it although he wasn’t totally happy. I think you’re going to have to chat to someone about it. That was in a small company though.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I have a provisional offer, which is subject to references (and credit check). I know that HR will provide a standard reference as they don't do individual ones here but I don't know how long that would take and if I put off handing in my notice that would more than likely mean an even shorter notice period.

It's a temp job, which has it's own risks, but I can't stay where I am. The dickhead manager who based in Walsall is talking about coming to our depot tomorrow for a meeting. Walsall is one of the areas being told to stay at home, but no, this is more important.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Talk to HR and explain how hard you're finding it. They may help.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Dickhead manager is also who I report into (although I might see if his manager has time for a call).