Time For A Change

Skips

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Skips »

Right, I have a zoom with my managers manager at 3 today, I will broach the subject with her and see how I get on. This has been useful to type out and have think on. I have also googled how to negotiate a shorter notice period so hopefully I can make it work.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Good luck, Skips! I hope she sees sense and agrees to the date you want.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Good luck! And congrats for being offered the job!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Well done skips and just tell that you will be leaving early because many people are making you feel bullied about sticking with the covid regulations.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Do it! Good luck.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Congrats on the job offer and good luck this afternoon!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Congratulations, and the best of luck!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Congratulations Skips and good luck with the notice period. No one can "make" you work the notice period, much better for them to have you work happily up to 21 February than work half-heartedly (or go sick and not work) the full notice period!
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I hope your call went well Skips :fc:

Congratulations for the offer.
Skips

Post by Skips »

It's a hard no on leaving early and missing month end. It's not something I can show someone in advance, it would have be done at the time as part of a handover. As the bank role is only temporary it's a no from them moving the start date. My managers manager looked like she was about to cry when I said I wanted to resign and has scheduled another meeting next week to look at opportunities within the business that would move me away from what I am doing now (and from my line manager). Not ideal, but better than me sticking with my current job while looking for other positions.
Last edited by Skips on Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Oh. So it sounds like you are staying put?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Be careful with that; I’m sure your manager’s manager means well, but companies will often say all sorts of things to keep you, then immediately forget about it once they see you’re staying.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I can't risk what could happen if I don't work my notice period. It would have an impact on the business - it's only a small office so I am the only person that can do what I do at month end (delegation of duties and audit) so I've never been able to take holiday at that time. The one time I tried they pushed month end back to when I was in the office (so it happened on the Monday rather than the Friday). They may have bulldozed me into it, but I don't want to add another thing onto the list of things that may keep me up at night.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:18 pm Be careful with that; I’m sure your manager’s manager means well, but companies will often say all sorts of things to keep you, then immediately forget about it once they see you’re staying.
Quite. I'm not going to stop looking, there will be a job out there that accepts my notice period (and I did say at the outset it could be a problem when I found out the start date).
Lola

Post by Lola »

I think you’re doing the right thing. I’d be terrified at giving up a permanent job for a temporary one just now. Something better will come up & hopefully this will have given your confidence a boost anyway.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Haven't your current work promised you promotion etc opportunities before?

How much time does month end take? If it's a day or two, could you take paid or unpaid leave from the 22 until the end of the month and then do month end on a weekend day? Or have one day off from the new job to do it?

I know the new job is temporary but you've seemed extremely unhappy in your job for a while, and although it's not the best time to give up a permanent job, equally your permanent job could make you redundant and maybe it's better to be part of a bigger company? If you're not risking missing out on a big redundancy payment then I think it's not much more risk. But obviously whatever you're comfortable with.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Also it's on them that they have a crucial business function that only one person can perform. Even in a small business, you should always have some sort of back up for month end/payroll etc. What would they do if you were suddenly so ill you couldn't come in? You'd think they'd treat you a lot better when they know you're totally essential!

I know it's difficult when you're the one in the actual situation though so I hope you can find something else if this doesn't work out. It's great to get the confidence boost that you are wanted!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am a bit cross on your behalf Skips - as I said they cannot "make" you work your notice. TBF I am a freelance finance manager and have often gone in to companies to pick up a month end or year end when someone has left or is not available - what would they do if you were sick. I am sorry but I think you are missing a chance at something better in the long term and the only one winning is a company who has treated you badly and pressuring you now into being pliable to their wishes.

Overall I wish you the best and hope you find something else very soon
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Me too. Their shitty planning is not your problem.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yep, I'd walk away, it's their lookout. As others have said, they haven't treated you particularly well, and I'd be very sceptical about their promises.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse