Time For A Change

Skips

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Skips »

I had another chat yesterday which I felt was a waste of time, and I think they made the right noises to begin with but are going to dig their heels in about making any actual change. The new office manager started and she wants to get to know what everyone does and where things can be moved to accommodate me having time spare to do other things. They then started talking about how these things don't happen overnight and that there will be some changes to one of the processes I already oversee which they want to give another few weeks to see what happens.

I'm still job hunting, I just need somewhere that will accept my one months notice period.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 pm Shoe - your post on the daily thread has prompted me to ask if you managed to have a meaningful chat with your boss yet Shoe?
I have not. I've barely been in the studio. I'm applying for other stuff and I'm fairly certain I'm going to take redundancy. She's not brought it up again, or provided the job description I asked for. She said she'd like a decision by the end of the month so I'm going to have to speak to her at some point. :))
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Skips wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 pm I had another chat yesterday which I felt was a waste of time, and I think they made the right noises to begin with but are going to dig their heels in about making any actual change. The new office manager started and she wants to get to know what everyone does and where things can be moved to accommodate me having time spare to do other things. They then started talking about how these things don't happen overnight and that there will be some changes to one of the processes I already oversee which they want to give another few weeks to see what happens.

I'm still job hunting, I just need somewhere that will accept my one months notice period.
A one month notice period should be fine for a lot of places but even if its not, I'd have no hesitation in leaving your current place within your notice period. If they haven't put back up plans in place, that's their lookout. They keep making empty promises to you, you owe them the square root of fuck all.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Skips

Post by Skips »

I just feel really panicked about leaving within my notice period (to the point with the bank job I was feeling really sick). Would there be any legal ramifications if I were to just walk out (so to speak)?
sally maclennane

I am obviously not an employment lawyer but I don't think there is much risk. What could they do? Technically they could sue you for breach of contract I suppose, but would it really be worth their while?

Maybe check this with an actual lawyer :))
Disco

Post by Disco »

I would think it highly unlikely they would do anything or it would have any repercussions. I once said I was popping out for a sandwich in a job I'd worked at for a few years and never went back. Nothing happened.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I am obviously NotaLawyer but I think they would need to demonstrate actual loss in order to have any case against you, Skips. And even if that could do that, the fact that they have knowingly left themselves exposed to that loss (because what if you, the only person in the organisation who can perform that role, got hit by a bus?) would make them look stupid.
sally maclennane

Disco wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:02 pm I would think it highly unlikely they would do anything or it would have any repercussions. I once said I was popping out for a sandwich in a job I'd worked at for a few years and never went back. Nothing happened.
:mog:

J left a job once with 2 months notice still to go. He left on the Friday, went to the pub with some colleagues and set a timed email to his boss explaining that he wasn't working his notice so that he'd get it Monday morning.
Disco

Post by Disco »

It was so liberating. I walked home really happy, got a job the next day and never, ever answered the phone to my old job again. They probably thought I was dead.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I need to channel Disco.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Disco wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm It was so liberating. I walked home really happy, got a job the next day and never, ever answered the phone to my old job again. They probably thought I was dead.
:mog:

A friend at my old company did this. Our boss had agreed she could leave sooner than her notice period, and then reneged on it. So she told him she was doing it anyway, and did. All she had to do was pay back some of her last salary packet.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ ... resigning/

You need to get out of this place Skips.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Disco! :)) I love that.

My Sister did something similar once. She typed out a letter telling them she wasn't coming back and put it in the internal post for them to receive on the Monday morning.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I once picked up my bag and went home for good :lol:. I wouldn’t exactly recommend it but it’s unlikely to be worth their while to make a fuss about reducing your notice period.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'm not sure I can sneak a chair/printer etc in without it being noticed so I would need to return some work items that I've been using at home.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I hope things get sorted soon Shoe and that you find something much better very soon.

Skips, good luck to you too. I hope the perfect job comes up.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Skips wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:50 pm I'm not sure I can sneak a chair/printer etc in without it being noticed so I would need to return some work items that I've been using at home.
Let them send a courier for them - it is their responsibility.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Indeed, or you can simply get them couriered back if you are morally concerned about it.

If it's worrying you hugely, I am happy to drop them off on your behalf.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'll try to not worry about it until I get a new job.

But thank you everyone, I have a tendency to overthink things (no shit, skips) and it's interesting for me to see that I could probably be more hardball.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Given you asked to give very slightly shortened notice recently and they made such a fuss about how no one could be trained within that period to take on month end stuff, it is absolutely their own massive failing now if they haven’t immediately taken steps to ensure that training starts now in case you get another offer that will wait the full month for you. I did wonder exactly what they think their plan B is if next time you happened to hand notice in on the last day before reporting begins, meaning you wouldn’t be there for the next month (and this time they couldn’t stop you).

A friend once left her job in Kookaï by grabbing her things in the middle of a shift and running down the back stairs. She passed her manager who was on her way up, and when manager called her name she just said “no!” and kept running :mog:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I have a telephone interview tomorrow! It's working for a company that sells camping gear, as an admin person, so I am very excited. It's a longer commute and a pay cut, but permanent this time rather than temp like the bank job.