Consciously Unbellended

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Smunder Woman »

Congratulations!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Congratulations Derek!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Congratulations Derek, despite the end of leisure!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Well done, Derek.

A mere six months after my application, I received a job offer yesterday. It's not quite what I was after - it's on the night team, which is 4pm-12am four days a week inc some weekend days (this is classed as full time). I know that will sound hideous to most people but it actually suits my life and sleep patterns quite well - I've suffered from insomnia for years and having to wake up to an alarm for an early morning start makes it far worse. And they pay for me to get a taxi home, and once I've been there a while I'd be able to do more WFH.

It works out around £6K a year more than I'd earn freelancing for them for the same number of days, plus there are the benefits of a better pension deal, 32 days' holiday, private health insurance etc etc. I tried and failed to get more money :)) Given the hours I'd be able to keep up my other self-employed work too and the perm role it would definitely help with remortgaging.

However obviously I'd lose the freedom of choosing when I work and have to answer to The Man, so I am weighing up the pros and cons today.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Thanks all!

Could you do it until the remortgage is in place and then rethink if it's not working for you? It sounds like it would suit you better than a lot of people, although I do appreciate it may entail a loss of social life that has you wary (on top of losing your autonomy).
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

It doesn’t sound like there are many or even any negatives to that Nince.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Congratulations Derek!

Nince, it sounds like you've found the ideal job for you! The loss of autonomy is compensated by a huge amount of security, which I personally rate quite high. Good luck with the decision making!

I had my job interview 3 weeks ago and I really liked the sound of the job, I could cycle there in 12 minutes and the manager seemed nice. However, their recruiter was a bit of a dick and he clearly disapproved of my wish to work part-time. Anyway, the interview was on a Wednesday and they were going to phone on the Friday to let me know if I would be invited for a second round. When I hadn't heard anything 2 Fridays later, I sent them an email and it still took them until yesterday to phone and say the other candidates had more job-specific experience blabla. The irony is, it was a Communications position for their HR department! They clearly need some help there...

Anyway, I feel no disappointment at all, which speaks volumes.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Thanks all (and well done Derek).

I’m not actually remortgaging for 3.5 years so it’s quite far ahead :)) But my current “complex” income is very unattractive to lenders and many will only consider 30-40% of my current earnings, so it has a huge effect on what I can borrow and where I can live. If I take the job they’d consider the full amount.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Oh and the social life side won’t be too badly affected - I’d still have three nights off a week and most of my days free.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Nine, it really sounds like its a good fit for you. Dutchie, it really does amaze me how awful some companies can be.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Well done Del and Nince. I hope the Worthing to Brighton commute goes smoothly.

Sorry it didn’t work out Dutchie but it may have been a lucky escape..
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I just had a very enthusiastic email from the night editor (who seems lovely and everyone speaks very highly of her) who says they are very keen to get me on board and I can do three days instead of four if I like (so 75% of the salary) and I can WFH as often as I like right from the start. The WFH option possibly nudges it in favour of the four-day (full-time) option.

So basically I could move to the Caribbean and work 10am-6pm if I fancied it. Or maybe do 6am to 2pm from Thailand. I'll probably stay in London for the time being though :))
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That sounds absolutely brilliant, Nine - congratulations!

And congratulations to you too, Del.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Oh that's a game-changer - exciting!

emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Yes that sounds great, Nine! Congrats.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

That sounds excellent. Congrats!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Congratulations Nine! Try it in all the time zones and let us know which is best.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Oh wow Nine, that sounds fantastic! How would it work from New Zealand? Looks to me like all the elements are coming together nicely and nudging you in the direction of this job... :))
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Congratulations nince! Honestly that sounds perfect! Especially the temporary digital nomad lifestyle from the Caribbean/SE Asia!

Really if you like the place and the work, the boss has a good rep, and it allows you to not lose out on the lifestyle you want and pays you more + gives you some financial security, what do you have to lose? Even in the short term to try it out if you don’t have to (or want to) give up your freelance stuff yet anyway.