Time For A Change

Cerise

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Cerise »

Cerise wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:48 am Sounds positive, Est. One of the nice things about teaching is that you tend to find out the same day if you got the job!

I have applied for a tiny job. It’s only seven hours a week so basically a day but you have to divide it into at least three sessions over a week. It’s admin and coordinating volunteers for a charity so basically PTA but you get paid. :lol: Shortlisting is Sunday. If I get it, I have to be self-employed and then submit hours to a 3rd party. Being self-employed will give me the nudge to make my tutoring more formal and wider.
I didn’t even get an interview for this which was really disappointing but hey ho.

Instead, I’ve ramped up efforts for my own tutoring business, booked a space once a week from January to get started and now need to find some clients.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Wendy, that's really good news. Any ideas on why it took so long?

Cerise, it's a shame you didn't even get to the interview stage. Really encouraging to hear about the tutoring business. What age group/subjects do you tutor?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Wiggle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:33 pm Wendy, that's really good news. Any ideas on why it took so long?

Cerise, it's a shame you didn't even get to the interview stage. Really encouraging to hear about the tutoring business. What age group/subjects do you tutor?
I can offer any primary aged support and am already tutoring for maths GCSE. Hoping to tap into the Home Ed market of Surrey. :)) My first offer is small group maths tuition for Years 5&6 though. Hoping I can fill two groups of six. Just been having fun building a FB page and playing with a logo maker.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Cerise, sound good!
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Cerise wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:08 pm
Wiggle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:33 pm Wendy, that's really good news. Any ideas on why it took so long?

I can offer any primary aged support and am already tutoring for maths GCSE. Hoping to tap into the Home Ed market of Surrey. :)) My first offer is small group maths tuition for Years 5&6 though. Hoping I can fill two groups of six. Just been having fun building a FB page and playing with a logo maker.
Well it’s their loss - you would have been great for them.

Good luck with the tuition - what name did you settle on?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Power Up Tuition
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I got caught up supporting business acquisitions, first bids then mobilisation. I’m back in a more operational role so easier to accommodate.

Cos, it’s a continuous improvement related apprenticeship, so where I often get involved but formalising some of my learning/experience. Also, much easier to find roles by job title in the future!

That’s a shame cerise, but a sign to focus on your own business!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

That sounds really good WJ, if it's anything like mine, it will be tough but very rewarding. I'm really enjoying the subject matter even if the total lack of social life is a bit dull. It's a lot of work.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Cos, how does that differ from an MBA? It sounds really interesting, and might be the thing I was looking for, if not necessarily right now. (Do we need another thread for this, or is it ok here?)

Sorry about the job, Cerise, but I suspect you’ll have more work than you could possibly want soon!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Good luck Cerise, I am sure you will have lots of work.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

It will turn into an MBA if I do the final year, it's the same standard and all the credits count towards the MBA. There's a bunch of practical stuff included when it's part of the apprenticeship which is actually quite cool because it's much less just theoretical assignments but you have to actively proof that you're using the knowledge, skills and behaviours you've learnt.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I had no idea there were apprenticeships like that. They sound really great!

I’ve still not had a formal offer. I followed up with my new ED yesterday and she said that all the paperwork has been submitted from her end and she will chase up with HR. It’s looking like I might hold off starting until the new year now. In the interim I’ll take an interview for the other one if they move quickly enough (I had a role out that closed the same day and have already shortlisted and booked interviews in but others might not be as efficient :mog: )
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Lots of good things going on for everyone.

My manager has resigned and leaves next month which has given me the push I needed to start looking elsewhere. So far I've been interviewed for or have interviews coming up for the 4 applications I've put in.

The first interview I had, I didn't get chosen but they have phoned me today to say the original candidate has withdrawn so they wanted to offer the position to me.

I'm currently trying to work out if it will leave me at least the same off financially as I am now but it's boggling my brain.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

How are you going with weighing up your offer, Teasel?

I’ve had all my paperwork through this afternoon so have booked a quick catch up with my Director tomorrow morning to let her know. I’m not starting my new role until 9 Jan though.
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Hope your catch up went ok Estrella.

I had another interview yesterday morning and felt more comfortable about that role. They'd said they would be letting people know in the afternoon. I hadn't heard by 4pm so had to make a decision on the other post. I decided to follow my gut instinct and turn the first position down.

I got a phone call about 10 minutes later offering me the 2nd post. They were looking for 2 people, 18.5 hours or 37 hours but as we'd discussed flexibility and childcare etc they offered it me at 30 hours (which I'm doing now). It's Flexi time, able to work from home as and when and everyone works from home on a Friday. So it's a definite yes!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Congratulations Teasel!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Congratulations, Teasel!
Glint

Post by Glint »

Congratulations Teasel - are you moving out of gp surgeries?

Well done Est, will you be taking time off over Christmas to start fresh?
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

That's fab Teasel, Congratulations!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Well done Teasel!