Time For A Change

FiveO'Clock

Re: Time For A Change

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Congratulations on your new job! I'm sorry you were treated so appallingly by your employer. How long do you have to wait until you can discuss with your former colleagues what actually happpened?
Beena

Post by Beena »

Congratulations on the new job, Ella.

That's a horrible way to treat someone. What arseholes.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

That sounds so hard. I hope the new job proves to be an exciting challenge.
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

Congratulations on the new job, Ella. I'm sorry you were treated so appallingly
Lola

Post by Lola »

That sounds like such a horrible and unsettling thing to go through and you shouldn’t underestimate how much something like that can affect you, so don’t try to minimise your feelings. Let them all out ;)

Congrats on the new role :)
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Ella, that's horrible. That would really knock me for six and I don't even like the people I work with. :))
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Sorry, Ella. That really does sound awful. Congratulations on the new job!

I had my interview on Tuesday, there was a lot of chat about how they could see I'd be a really good fit. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but have spoken to Joe about a totally hypothetical move to Sweden :look: He seems happy enough with the idea.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Oh, Ella that sounds awful. Especially not being able to tell your team. I hope you’re ok. It must be a relief to know you have something set up for the new year so hopefully now you can relax and enjoy the break.

That’s promising, Smunder! And very exciting.

I’ve got 13 working days left in my current place and am handing things over to my interim replacement. Including performance managing my problem team member. So that feels good.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

That sounds terrible Ella. Redundancy is bad enough without any added stress. Congrats on the new job.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That sounds so familiar Ella. Congratulations on the new role!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thanks, all. Ruby made me laugh :)). Wendy, I remembered that you went through something similar. Were you also not allowed to tell anybody?
FiveO'Clock wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 pm How long do you have to wait until you can discuss with your former colleagues what actually happpened?
For the first couple of weeks I could only say “It wasn’t my choice but I wasn’t fired”. Most of my team don’t have English as a first language, so I didn’t like being so opaque about it, but it was really important to me that it was clear that I hadn’t been dismissed.

Once the employment lawyer had had the settlement agreement re-worded, I was free to say that my role was made redundant, but honestly, FFS! (Initially HR said that I couldn’t even tell prospective employers that was why, because they didn’t want word of redundancies getting out. How dodgy would that have made me look?) As Sally said, they think if they give you a bit of money on top of your notice pay, that’s the job done.

Smunder, I was wondering how your interview had gone. Fingers crossed!
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Ella, I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through. Hope everything goes well in the new role.

Smunder, that sounds promising!

Tiny update from me...my potential move to a permanent role once my secondment is over has been agreed in principle by Senior Head. There is now alot of waiting and politics to work through.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Congratulations, it seems like you’re doing really well in that role!
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Thanks! Still a long way to go. I have a good line manager who is honest and very supportive. I've been challenged, pushed out of my comfort zone and loving every minute. Getting a gold award a few weeks ago really boosted my confidence.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Ella. It seems so unnecesssary.

Congratulations to all who have new opportunities!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That’s brilliant news, Wiggle and congrats on the new role, Ella.
Ella77 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am For the first couple of weeks I could only say “It wasn’t my choice but I wasn’t fired”. Most of my team don’t have English as a first language, so I didn’t like being so opaque about it, but it was really important to me that it was clear that I hadn’t been dismissed.

Once the employment lawyer had had the settlement agreement re-worded, I was free to say that my role was made redundant, but honestly, FFS! (Initially HR said that I couldn’t even tell prospective employers that was why, because they didn’t want word of redundancies getting out. How dodgy would that have made me look?) As Sally said, they think if they give you a bit of money on top of your notice pay, that’s the job done.
That’s an incredibly shitty position to have put you in. I sympathise as years ago I resigned the same time as my boss was made redundant and I found out that he’d been implying that I’d been let go. I was so worried about how it looked.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Ella, but congratulations on the new job!
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Blimey, Ella. That sounded very stressful. I'm glad you have a shiny new job.
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

That's appalling behaviour Ella, I'm glad you're all sorted now but how incredibly stressful.

I'm starting to panic slightly, halfway through gardening leave, that I'm seeing very few jobs I want to do (I'm looking to swerve away slightly from what I've been doing for the past 20+ years) and those I have applied to are either a straight rejection or utter silence as response. Oh well, onwards :woteva:
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

You would also be the first person to tell your candidates that it's a weird time of year and not to panic. So, it's a weird time of year to recruit, and don't panic.