Time For A Change

Livilla

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Livilla »

I think that in the current world you should definitely apply, and then have the conversation with them. It's become far, far easier to have those chats upfront, I think - I had a video interview with a candidate a few days ago who lives a fair distance away and one of the things we discussed at the end as part of the "do you have any questions for us" section was what our expectations would be when life returned to normal and it was no longer necessary to work from home 100% of the time. Raising how often you will need to be in the office would, I think, have been seen as being cheeky or ill-judged this time last year, but now it just seems sensible.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Another one who says you should apply and then have the conversation. I've just done something similar, applying for a role at a previous employer based in the place where I used to live. :lol: They always prided themselves on flexible working and I'm happy to spend some time in the office, so we shall see.

Best of luck Skips!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Thanks all. I have a friend who works there at the moment so I’m going to ask her what the WFH culture has been like during Covid. And I’ll give it a go!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Good luck!
Skips

Post by Skips »

So I've been invited to interview but it's a no go, they want to interview on the 3rd with a start date of the 9th. I have to give a month's notice and I cant leave without a new role or good reason or they will stop universal credit (so I can't quit in the hope I get something). I guess most apprentices aren't working. I will email back but I suspect its non negotiable.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

If it doesn’t work out, don’t give up on the idea of being a TA if it interests you. It’s very much a “learn on the job” thing and a school will give you training.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Skips wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:12 am So I've been invited to interview but it's a no go, they want to interview on the 3rd with a start date of the 9th. I have to give a month's notice and I cant leave without a new role or good reason or they will stop universal credit (so I can't quit in the hope I get something). I guess most apprentices aren't working. I will email back but I suspect its non negotiable.
Skips. you can negotiate the notice period if you get the job. Or just tell them the date you are going and cite the reasons why. Most places won't kick up a fuss really. I really wouldn't let that stop you going for the interview.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

It's an apprenticeship with day release to college, not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway, I have gone back saying that I am in self isolation until the 8th and that I have one months notice asking if they can accommodate that, so we'll see what they come back with. I doubt they will accept not being able to see me until after then as it states on the timetable for the day that candidates will be notified in the afternoon if they are accepted (there are six in total).
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Could they just do a video call instead?

If it's linked to college then it might be difficult for you to alter the start date, but I agree with Marth that there could be some flexibility with your work. Ultimately if you said you were off on the 9th they'd be hard pressed to do anything.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I don't think I could do a video call as there is a practical part to the interview.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Skips - please ask it is always worthwhile. Also bear in mind what Marth and Ken have said about your current employers - they cannot make you work your notice. Also re UC - have a chat with them too. Please do not give up if this is something you really want (the new opportunity) and the current job is something you really want to get rid of. Life is too short - especially now. Fingers and legs crossed for you
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Annabella wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 pm Skips - please ask it is always worthwhile. Also bear in mind what Marth and Ken have said about your current employers - they cannot make you work your notice. Also re UC - have a chat with them too. Please do not give up if this is something you really want (the new opportunity) and the current job is something you really want to get rid of. Life is too short - especially now. Fingers and legs crossed for you
Actually you reminded me of something.

Half of the UC claim is your husband's, and as such UC could/would not stop all the UC. They could possibly sanction you some of it. However if you cease work and submit a fit note to UC citing inability to work for a few months due to health issues, then you are not sanctioned. They just start the process to assess you medically for your fitness to work after a 3 month waiting period.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

That's interesting to know.

Well I heard back and they said they would be in touch the end of this week with next steps. However, I got an email from the apprenticeship scheme to say my application wasn't successful, so I guess they offered it to a candidate that could attend on the day. Fucking Covid, I totally would have told work to do one if I had been offered it.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Sorry, Skips.

I'm thinking of applying for an internal secondment. It's 6 months, it's a promotion, and it would mean going from working 3 days a week to full-time, though I think I would ask to do 4.5 so I could still pick the kids up two days a week.

It's a position they need filling immediately to do something urgent, so they are asking for expressions of interest rather than a full application. It is supposed to be no longer than the equivalent of one side of a4 and emailed to the recruiting director. It says it should make reference to the JD and how you are a fit for the role, but that's not a lot of space to say much?

Any advice, please? The recruiting director line managed me for two years doing a similar-ish role recently, so she knows exactly what I have to offer... It's EOI by Wednesday and interviews on Friday! Thanks.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

No advice except that sounds like a cover letter exercise to me. Go for it and good luck!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Thanks, Hazey. I've not had to do a cover letter since 2007 so what would one put in one of those, please? :look:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

You write about how brilliant you are and how you meet the job description. Take a look at Ask A Manager for examples or I could send you one of mine if you like? I know that mine are pretty strong.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Thank you! I'll PM you.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'm terrible at writing cover letters.

A job has come up where I work as an office manager. I know I could do it all, but I worry I've been pigeon holed where I am. I should just apply for it though, shouldn't I?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

YES.